e-Waiver to be Invoked at the NATS?

This is the big one ladies and gents, the AMA Nats

Moderator: hbartel

sgilkey

e-Waiver to be Invoked at the NATS?

Post by sgilkey »

Now that the blanket waiver has been granted to allow e-planes to compete in certain classes thru July, I would like to know if the CD of the NATS is going to invoke the waiver or not. This needs to be decided and publicized.

The waiver was invoked to encourage experimentation and data gathering and growth of the sport (i think). I don't believe such experimentation is called for at the National Championships and I suggest the waiver not be invoked for the NATS.
Don Pruitt

Post by Don Pruitt »

Electrics are allowed in the Open classes per the AMA rules and electrics are allowed in the provisional classes by waiver so I say let them fly.

Along that same line of thought, the question was put to me by a CD in my district as to whether or not he was required to publish ahead of time if electrics would be allowed at his contest. It is my opinion that it is the responsibility of the electric fliers to contact the CD before they show up with their e-planes. This situation was not covered in the waiver. I could make this a policy in my district but then it may be different from what other District Reps. may decide. Whatever we decide it needs to be the same across all districts. How is everyone else planning on handling this your districts?
THend

Post by THend »

[?]
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The CD of any contest will have the final word on whether or not to use the waiver at his or her contest. If the CD does want to invoke the waiver, it must be posted on the contest calander at least 30days prior to the event. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The way this is worded, I would say that fliers can presume that e-planes will be allowed UNLESS it is publicized in advance that they will NOT be.

This says it is up to the CD to make the call and I am asking for the CD to do so and publicize the decision for the NATS, yea or nay, just so it is abundantly clear. I think the NATS is a special case and it should be very clear. I think it is somewhat strange that this organization asked the AMA to make SSC a RULE BOOK EVENT (admittedly this request was denied) which implies some form of stability, and yet here we are pondering flying the National Championships under a deviation from the formal rules, a deviation not brought about by any form of emergency, product availability, or safety concern. We've decided to allow this deviation through July and I can live with that, but I think the NATS should be excepted.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Scott, I know that you're going to think that I'm picking on you again but just a point of clarification to keep the facts straight, the "organization" didn't put forward the request to the AMA to make SSC a rule book event, an individual did.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

The Board will discuss this particular item with Rick Fraley and get a decision posted shortly.

Thank you
Ed
boiler

Post by boiler »

The way the wavier reads is that the CD must decide to invoke the wavier before electric can be flow. If the CD does nothing, electrics don't fly. Invoke does mean "activate or use" or don't I understand the word?[?]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

"The CD of any contest will have the final word on whether or not to use the waiver at his or her contest. If the CD does want to invoke the waiver, it must be posted on the contest calander at least 30days prior to the event."

Bob, you are correct. "Invoke" does mean to "activate or use", therfore in order for electrics to fly, the CD must make the decission to activate the waiver and post it on the contest calander 30 days ahead of time.

As far as the NATS goes. My opinion is that the RCCA is the SIG in charge of Combat at the Nats. The CD is acting for the RCCA.

The Full Board should decide yea or nay. I think that it should be voted on.

I`m with Don. I say let them fly at the NATS.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Bob, I thought guys who were good at math were supposed to stink at English! You are correct, for some reason in my brain the word "invoke" registered as "revoke." Either that or I am a nimrod. Anyway I concur with your interpretation.

So Roy, if the "individual's" request had been granted, would the RCCA have seceded from the AMA in protest of the decision? it's pointless anyway, all i'm asking for is the decision, i will live with it either way, but i make my suggestion as to which way I believe it should go, along with my supporting rationale. the waiver does not say the board decides, it says the CD decides, and I'm giving him my opinion as a potential entrant. If the Board wants to give a joint recommendation that's fine by me too!
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

I personally don't see a reason for mixing E & IC in the same class. If E is catching on that much, then it should fly it's own class. I don't think I can stop them from flying a particular class if they follow all the rules, but how do you define .15 cid in E?----rick
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Vapor</i>
<br />how do you define .15 cid in E?----rick
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Very simply, spin an 8X3 Master airscrew prop at 17,500 RPM or less. It doesn't matter what turns the prop it matters how fast the prop turns.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I don't think I can stop them from flying a particular class if they follow all the rules,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

that's the key, there is $65 engine cost limit in SSC and the e-gear is way more expensive than that. these $ buy the advantage of being able to dial in max rpm day in and day out regardless of weather conditions. this is discussed extensively in the members-only forum, if you haven't checked it out please do so.

we like and embrace e but the cost issue is a sticky wicket and we have not really figured out how to deal with it at this point other than to ignore it for the e-fliers which seems to me inappropriate at the NATS.
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

Scott, you can guy a Himax for $65 easily can't you?
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

To all--here is the SSC engine requirement-
# Engine:
.15 cid engine available from normal retail outlets for a non-sale retail price of $65 or less, excluding taxes or shipping. Engine must be classified by the manufacturer for use in R/C flying model aircraft. Engine must be complete with carburetor and muffler. Carburetor must be fully R/C functional as intended by the manufacturer and servo operated. The muffler must be expansion chamber type with no internal pipe (which would effectively increase its length and there allow "tuning"). The front of the muffler must be closed and “flow throughâ€
RH

Post by RH »

That's why the waiver was necessary. Maybe in 6 months there will be a 65 dollar electric that will fill the bill. I hope so.

Return to “AMA RC Combat Nationals”