Webra Advice Needed

Tell us what you do to get the best performance from your engines.

Moderator: hbartel

Dane McGee

Webra Advice Needed

Post by Dane McGee »

Hey guys, I need some advice from someone who runs webras. I have alot of experience with bladders but danged if I can get the webras to hold a needle?!?![B)] I've checked all bolts/screws, everythings tight.......I've tried all the bladder fixes and I still can't get it to hold, even tried re-positioning the can ......nuthin. I've read all the posts about the webras being finicky on a regular tank so with a pressure system I guess the problem is magnified.

The needle is really rough to the touch. I'm suprised that with such a good quality engine that the stock needle valve bites so bad.........next step is to sh!tcan the hs needle, insert a plug and try a remote needle from a 25 FX..... using a hs needle from a la .15 did the deed on my mag's. My FX's are spot on with a bladder and I'm about ready to sell these Austrian devils [:(!] and buy a couple more FX's.

Are the webras really worth the trouble?

Anyone with words of wisdom? Lee? ( ...besides go clunk[;)])
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Dane,

You have answered your on question, switch to the OS and don't look back. I have several Webra .61 blackheads and this was the first mod done.

Kelvin
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Dane, they are tough to work with. They realy unload in the air which causes them to go lean. They have to be 100% broken in, and then you have to put them up very rich. Dropping your nitro% makes them less finicky also.

With the planes that you`re flying, the FX is plenty of power, and consistancy is more important in the long run. Just how bad do you want to get rid of those pesky Webras?
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />Dane, they are tough to work with. They realy unload in the air which causes them to go lean. They have to be 100% broken in, and then you have to put them up very rich. Dropping your nitro% makes them less finicky also.

With the planes that you`re flying, the FX is plenty of power, and consistancy is more important in the long run. Just how bad do you want to get rid of those pesky Webras?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

"Please don't throw me into the briar patch" Bre'er Rabbit
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br /> Just how bad do you want to get rid of those pesky Webras?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I knew I could count on you Lee[;)]........answer is, not THAT bad yet[:D] Yep, I'm gonna run the FX's on the new secret weapons but I was tryin to get a couple of backups ready.....I thought perhaps I could make up in horsepower what the airframe lacked in
performance.(insert evil laugh here)

Kelvin, it crossed my mind more than once.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I was kidding about the buy-out. But, the fixes are the best I can offer. Don`t let them Webras whoop ya bud.

One more thing. Sometimes it helps to sleep with them under your pillow. They don`t run any better, but you`ll be so tired, that you won`t care.[:D]
Fred420

Post by Fred420 »

Hey Max ........... you said: "using a hs needle from a la .15 did the deed on my mag's." I run the Mag .15 and have a hard time hitting 17,500. Does the mod you do help and what was it?

Thanks,
Fred420
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

I can get the mags to turn 17,500 both before and after the needle valve mod.

I unscrewed the needle from my mags and plugged the hole. I then tried a remote needle valve from a os.10 or something but still not satisfied so I ordered needle valve back plate assemblies for the la .15. I then cut off the needle valve and use it as a remote on the mags.
With a bladder they are dead on.........now I gotta figure out what to do with all these extra la.15 back plates[:o)]
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Status Report: Yee-Haww I think I cracked the nut. I decided I was not gonna let um whoop me so back in the saddle I go![:D]

I unscrewed the stock NV out almost all the way out and locked it in place with some tubing. I then installed a needle valve from a la.15 about 2 inches rearward.
Fired it up and what do ya know! These things will hold a needle after all. I had a really good range with the la .15 nv .......Ran about 4 oz thru it no probs. Filled another bladder full and about half way done it burned a plug. I'll try another type plug and see how the serpent flies when the wind dies down a little.
Bob Leone

Post by Bob Leone »

The SERPENT
You got me wondering whats coming out the Dane workshop.
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

........caught that did ya? [:D] Lets just say Team Cobra is alive and well!
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I may have to try the os needle on mine, if I ever run them again. Thanks for the info Dane.
Pat_Willcox

Post by Pat_Willcox »

Dane,

Put those webras up really rich because they really unload in the air on a moose can. I been running one on a conventional type "beater" fence post plane I use for fun stuff. Check out the plane I gave Mike. That one is detuned with a OS .25 FX. Not sure the #1 son could handle all the power of the Webra set up. :=)
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Thanks Pat. I followed your advice and had a really good run this afternoon. The la .15 nv is the way to go......... I launched rich and it ran like a spotted ape for about 5 minutes then I blew another plug. I was using a MC-59.

Which plug is best for these here beasties??
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Dane, I don't have much Webra experience, but have had my share of blown plugs. The MC-59 is a hot plug much like the K&B 1L. You might try the K&B HP or MC-9, both which are colder plugs. Lowering the nitro content in your fuel may also help. If you are still blowing, after those two changes, then you should consider adding head shims to reduce overall compression.

Good luck!