Current Setups and what batteries?

What's a Watt? What's a Brushless? How many Watts are in a HorsePower? Help a clueless pilot out by posting your P=E*I Knowledge here!

Moderator: hbartel

Father O 5

Current Setups and what batteries?

Post by Father O 5 »

Judging from the threads in the 2548 forum and in the SSC forum, it looks like the combos are something like this...

2548 Single
Himax 3630-800 with a 45A speed control
10x4 prop

SSC, 2548 twin, 2610 and 2610 twin
Himax 3615-2100 with a 35A speed control
8x3 prop

There was mention of a 7 cell 2100 pack used with the 3630 motor and several mentions of parallel packs used for the 3615 motor. If I were to go out and buy one of each of the above setups, what batteries should I purchase?

If anyone else has a setup please post it so that we can kind of keep all of the recomendations in one place.
wrnstockwel

Post by wrnstockwel »

2548 single
If you choose to use the Himax 3630-800 you will have to have the 7 cell lipo pack, just like Lee is running. If you opt for a higher KV motor (3630-1500) and an APC 10x3 prop, you should be able to get there with 3s2p 2000 mAhs (3 series, 2 packs in parrallel) or 3s 3600 mah or larger pack.

SSC
You can use the same pack setup above (3s2p 2000 mAh) for and have more than 8+ minutes of full throttle flying time, probably closer to 10. Again, you could get by on a 3s 3600 mAh or larger pack for the same or slightly less weight.

2548 twin
For brushless you will need to run 2 speed controllers and I believe that Lee is mounting the battery pack in the nacelle, so you would have 1 battery pack (3s 3000 mAh or larger), speed controller and motor in each nacelle.

Make sure that your Lipos are AT LEAST 10C discharge or higher.

Examples:
A 3s 3600 mAh with a 10C constant discharge rating will provide 36 Amps without damaging the cells.

A 3s2p 2000 mAh with a 10C constant discharge rating will provide 40 Amps without damaging the cells. (3s 2000 mAh x 10 = 20 Amps x 2 packs = 40 Amps)

I am running brushed motors with gearboxes in both classes.

Scott
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

damn!! Im not into electrics but it sound like it's lot more costly then a glow set up, is it?
Father O 5

Post by Father O 5 »

Scott,

I know that they are around in here somewhere but would you please post the specifics of what you are running here?

The gearboxes that you are running, are they reduction or do they work the other way? The goal in SSC and twin 2548 is 17500 rpm with an 8x3 prop. Couldn't we use a lower cost motor (brushless inrunner) with a stepup gear to get to that?

Another question. Are you doing your own soldering of packs to get parallel packs or are you using the parallel boards that you can plug multiple packs into?
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

I tried a Mega 15/15/4C and it will spin the 8X3 direct drive at 17,5500, However the amp draw on it was quite a bit higher, so it would take more batteries to do it. I just bought a Mega 22/10/6. I think this will also spin an 8X3 direct drive at 17,5500 at the same amps as the 22/20/3.

Here is my current working SSC setup (copied from another thread)
Motor: I spent a lot of time researching this part of the power system. I wanted to buy only one motor and really hoped to get it right on the first shot. I think I did. To me this motor is equal in quality to the 25FX. I spoke on the phone with Wes "Sheepy" Parameter extensively as he was the first to go e in SSC. He highly recommended the Mega for its strength and Durability. I posted on the Ezone and asked fellow electric flyers. I played with motocalc and an online calc. Everything pointed to the Mega 22/20/3. So I pulled the trigger and looking back I can't be happier with my choice. It makes the RPM needed plus a bit more.

The ESC: I own probably 20 ESCs in total. 3 of them are not Castle Creations, the rest are. I will probably not buy from any other vendors again. Sure it costs a little bit more, but I can fine tune them through my laptop. And the customer service is amazing. Between Slam and my self we sent back 5 controllers that we had fried, but forcing too many amps through them or hooking them up wrong. Castle replaced everyone of them free of charge. Anyways I went with a 45 amp speed control as I wanted just like Lee to not be pushing it too its limit. I am pulling about 28 amps on the ground, and around 22 in flight. I bought an eagle tree flight recorder to really know what is going on in flight.

The Batteries: Most of my electric stuff is smaller in size. I have 2 larger planes, and for one of them I had bought these unknown batteries called Apex. They were $36 for a 3 cell 2000 MAH battery. I was quite happy with its performance. i compared it to a Thunder Power Prolite and it was slightly heavier, made slightly less power, but cost half as much. I called up the vendor and asked if I could get a deal on these if I bought 11 more and he knocked the price down to $34. We now have 3 sets of batteries and were able to fly 8 rounds of combat without ever having to make the IC fliers wait while we charged. as a note Apex has a newer version out (Mk3 in a yellow heatshrink) that is supposed to be a 15C battery and supposed to be close to 2300MAH for about $45 per battery.

Battery Charger: I have a few of these, but felt I needed one that can handle 3 or 4 batteries at once. The electrifly 4 can do 4 batteries up to 4 cells up to 3 amps at once. This sounded perfect. Again I am very happy with it.
wrnstockwel

Post by wrnstockwel »

Here are a few more specifics on my motor, esc, battery combo, and a little more detail.

Kyosho Endoplasma, 16 x 2 motor. (Any 16 turn motor will work, machine wound and the largest size brushes you can get)
Great Planes ElectriFly GD-600 gear drive.
GPMG0851,GPMG0852,GPMG0853
There are 3 possible part numbers, doesnt matter which you get, you wont be using the pinion anyway.
22 and 23 tooth 48 pitch pinions (standard RC car pinions) (I have since switched to a 24 tooth)
Medusa Spectrum 40A/14V ESC MR-ESC-1440BB (any esc of at least 40 amps with a cut off for the LiPo batteries will work)
At least 2000 3s batteries, you will need 2 sets in parallel for each flight. I have been paying $34 per battery, plus adding my connectors (sermos).
For running in parrallel, I have made a y harness. I would recommend stripping the battery input wires on the ESC leads about 2 inches back from the connectors and adding a second and third set of wires and connectors. (I will post pictures tonight)

When you run this setup with the 2000 batteries on the bench, you will only get close to the 16,300 when the batteries come right off the charger. After the peak is gone, they will only hold about 9V static at the 32 Amps current draw. This is a function of the battery limitation, not the motor. As the load decreases (you launch the plane) the current draw (Amps) becomes less and the RPM (KV) increases significantly. Since the rule is you have to spin the prop at 17,500 or less, no sweat.

That is my solution for SSC, see you all at the LSN.

For 2548:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LC3375&P=1
11 turn motor (this is an example) you will have to reverse the timing on the motor, which is easy to do
Great Planes ElectriFly GD-600 gear drive, use the 15 tooth pinion.
Same batteries, same speed controller
APC 10x3 prop. Turns 13,600 static at launch, unwinds in the air.
My mistakes last year were:
Not working toward using the standard prop,
trying to do to much (2548) with to little motor (16 turn instead of an 11 turn).
For the twin setup you will need 6000 mAh total battery capacity and the power setup listed for SSC. You will probably have to run 2 speed controllers, which the battery input can be wired together to share battery packs. Cheap 35 amp speed controllers can be used, wire your BEC/throttle wires together. Just make sure they have a cut off for lipos, so you dont over drain them. I am still looking for a 60+ amp speed controller that will take 6 cells in series, allowing you to wire the motors in series.

There is 1 more option for the twins in brushed. Direct drive an equivelant motor to Kyoshos magnetic mayhem.

Scott
slam

Post by slam »

although drewjet and i have about the same ideas for setups, we are changing things slightly

ssc....22/20/3 mega, 45amp castle speed controller, with one common sence 3150ma 3 cell battery, this battery is 9 oz and costs $65+-. see other thread for more info on the common sense batteries.

2610.....twin 16/15/4c with the two of the same 3150ma battery, with two 35amp castle speed controllers.

open b... either the same set up as 2610 or the 22/20/3, 60amp castle, with two 3150ma batts. the second choice has not been tested thouroughly yet.

2548....there are options for a twin or single but have no events scheduled so haven't really tested for it.

limited b.....see above for 2548

limited 1/2a.... 16/15/4c with 25amp castle, and a smaller battery. as we don't have a meet yet, i haven't built for this yet. after i get my planes ready for the next event i will make a plane for this class as it sounds really good for what we are doing.

small semi scale class....have been experimenting with an all coro plane, with a $15 gws motor on it. seems to have possibilities.

slam

Return to “All About Electrics”