2548 P51B SPAD

SPAD Combat designs and discussions
For more, visit http://www.spadworld.net

Moderator: hbartel

RH

2548 P51B SPAD

Post by RH »

Just wanted to show what was under the skin of the Mustang I flew at the LSN [:D] It's a SPAD [:p] I wish I would have flown it a little better [B)]

She weighed 3lb 11 oz all rubberbanded up with some fuel in the tank from the first test flight and exceeded my expectations by quite a bit [:)]

r
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I would have never guessed! Pretty cool[:)]

Nice stand by the way![}:)]
Yawnego

Post by Yawnego »

That is simply amazing. That is why this has to be the greatest wed site dealing with RC..
Thanks Randy ;-)
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Nice plane Randy, I especially like the beer bottle CG stand
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

Great job Randy! Very cool building technique that looks very strong.
Keep up the good work[:D]
Pat_Willcox

Post by Pat_Willcox »

Very ingenious. Nice work Randy.
KamiKaze

Post by KamiKaze »

What did you use to cover? Its a great looking plane, nice job
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

holy cow! I never would of guess! great job!
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Randy and i discussed his P-51 at the LSN, I like the concept!! Thanks for posting the pics, Randy!!

Cash
RH

Post by RH »

Just covered with packing tape and sprayed with Krylon camo. The Krylon in the exhaust blast was coming off at the end of the day but not too bad.

Here's a pic of the first couple strips of tape

r
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Good work Randy, you sneek[:0]. Never would have thought. Coro and gutter pipe, what will they think of next?[;)]
RH

Post by RH »

Rabbit Leader, I am pleased and proud to report that the gutter pipe P51B flew at a mile high elevation today! Had a nice head wind to launch into but she works here too, and quite well. I didn't change anything from what flew at LSN. This is going to work for me. I'll be starting the next one soon with some weight trimming here and there.

rh out
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Nice design, Randy. Did you use Probond or similar to glue the foam to the downspout?

Actually, I think Dr. Evil has been doing something similar, hiding a "gorilla-like" fencepost inside his foam bodies for SSC and B.

I don't know if the width of the downspout was a problem in the size of the fuselage. I've used an alternate fencepost for a fuselage, which is 1-3/4" wide instead of 2-3/4". Here is a picture of the two in comparison:

It has thicker walls than the typical downspout, and is really rigid. Since it is heavier, I've drilled a bunch of holes in my plane to lighten it up, with no apparent loss of strength:

I got this material from Tractor Supply Co (actually by mistake when I asked my wife to pick up the gorilla-style fencepost). I used a standard motor mount, and a combination of wood and HDPE for the firewall - due to the width of the post, the engine has to be tipped by about 45 degrees. Maybe a gorilla mount would work better next time.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

I still have to do some rfepairs from the LSN, and build 1 or 2 more SSC ships, after which I just might have to try myhand at the pipe n' foam fuse. Congratulations Randy, great idea and good job!!

ahem...

<font size="4">TENCH_HUT!!</font id="size4">

"The 12th Pursuit Squadron would like to recognise Randy Hodges for his efforts in promoting scale combat in general, and 2548 in particular. His construction techniques and enthusiasm for RC combat have not gone unnoticed, and will be rewarded by a full commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 12th Pursuit Squadron, with all the rights and priveledges accorded to a ranking officer"

Of course Randy, you get paid as much as the rest of us...[;)]

Cash Hargett
RH

Post by RH »

Thank you, Sir! This is a great honor!!

r

Return to “Simple Plastic Airplane Designs (SPAD)”