1/2A is fun and easy to build

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

jfromm

1/2A is fun and easy to build

Post by jfromm »

This is a box of Fun.

I've found that 1/2A is the easiest, fastest building class and most intense to fly. I'm promoting building light but tuff Open 1/2A airplanes with limiting the engine performance so people can focus on airplane creativity and flying. I have over 200 rounds of flying these little airplane and they are much more durable than anything I've flown so far.

The best part is that 8 airplanes will fit in a small box which means they are easy to transport.
mad

Post by mad »

Hey Emperess,
Just curious, what do you find to be the wind limitation for flying these planes.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I always wanted to ask the same question about these little ones, theres a cuple of pictures around of these 1/2 a , but does anybody have a video of these in action?
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

I was flying mine today in about a 10 to 15 with no trouble at all, probably good up to about 20MPH
boiler

Post by boiler »

We flew them at the Detroit meet on the first day and the wind was about 20 mph. They take the wind like a good SSC plane or better.
cipoll717

Post by cipoll717 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">They take the wind like a good SSC plane or better.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

My experience is that they are better, since they are further up on the power to weight curve, they are more robust flyers in adverse conditions. I have about as many rounds as Frommy does too, but around twice as many cuts as he does [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
jfromm

Post by jfromm »

Hey MC Hammer, I keep telling you cutting your own streamer does not count. This is what an unpacked box of fun looks like.

Then when your friends add theirs to the collection, this is what it looks like.

These little airplanes handle wind better than the other classes I've flown. They also break much less. MC Hammer still has his originals. To date, he has killed 6 worms, 22 ants and scared the crap out of 3 moles, but his original 1/2A airplanes are still going. I'm sure some day he will be feared as much in the air as he is under the ground
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

Oh all right already, I will see if I can finish mine up Sunday so I will have one for next weekend.
jfromm

Post by jfromm »

Sounds good Captain!! Post a picture so I know which airplane to cut first.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

whoopee, another class for me to kick Captain's butt in!!!
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

It looks just like all my other B planes Fromm, I call it..."Mini-B"

Been hitting the sauce a little early today eh Scott?
CStein

Post by CStein »

Hey Scott what length did u end up with the arrow shafts on hattrick little plane
u let me fly in detroit ?

Thanks Corey
cipoll717

Post by cipoll717 »

Corey,
22-23" total length seems to work well.
MC
CStein

Post by CStein »

thanks Mark ill finish it tonite and see if she flys tommorow is everybody just
breaking in the motor with a 5.3x3 prop ?

Corey
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

i think i cut four inches off the stock length. i'd suggest a nice light prop for break-in, the 5.7x3 works fine, the APC 6x2 and a 5x3 will turn up even higher and might help for the first few runs, i wouldn't load it down. i've just been using one .004 head shim right from the get go