Lim B and Open B questions

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

The deadline for rules submissions was 9/30

And from reading the rules
http://www.rccombat.com/documents/2006_ ... _Class.pdf
the Grandfather clause was only for the 2006 season, so no wings greater than 64" starting next year.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

well color me stupid, i thought we had more time. i think the 64" max is not good, it eliminates possible entrants which is not what the rcca needs most right now. what we need urgently is LOW barriers to entry. NO plane in excess of 64 inch span has shown dominance in any class this year. in fact, the shorter-span planes have been superior and the emerging short-span (sub-64 inch flying wings) planes look like a further jump UP in performance. i agree with the wing area restriction, just not the span, so folks can use what they have on hand and easily migrate between classes. moot point i guess.
jfromm

Post by jfromm »

I would like to see the rules get locked down to keep a control on technology jumps and hopefully to stabilize a class. Whether the advantage is real or perceived for wing span limits, I feel that 64 inch span limit/requirement would be beneficial for the Limited-B class. The airplane rules for pylon are very specific and there are currently many manufactures for pylon airplanes. If we were able to specify a wing span and profile to include aileron width, I wonder if someone would start supplying cheep built wings and even ARF airplanes for that matter.
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hat Trick</i>
<br />You can remove baffles in the muffler and bore out the stinger.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<font size="2">A dumb question for sure, but what's the stinger? The parts list for the O.S. .25 doesn't mention it http://www.gpmd.com/cgi-bin/wgpprt100p?&I=OSMG0525</font id="size2">
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

The little hole where the exhaust comes out!
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hat Trick</i>
<br />The little hole where the exhaust comes out!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<font size="2">No wonder O.S. won't sell me one! [:I]</font id="size2">
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sgilkey</i>
<br />well color me stupid, i thought we had more time. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I've got a Crayola 64 box and don't see that color. Making "64" wings from "72" wings is really easy, it's called a saw.
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

While that is correct, the 1072s we tried that with developed a even nastier snap roll. If you cut the root ends and shorten them they seem to be better.... I think the biggest reason I like the 72 is its easier to see in a crowd.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

well it may be simple but it's senseless and doesnt work well. the 72 inch wings i clipped to take to Russia did not like the surgery, consistent with Sean's observation. besides, the 72 inch restriction was intended to address the concern that longer span might have an advantage. the short-span planes were dominant last season and while that may not be a definitive conclusion, it is certainly not definitively established that 72 inch span is any kind of advantage in LimB. I see no need to limit the ability of a potential competitor to migrate between classes with the same airframe if he has 72 inchers that he's currently using for B and wants to also fly LimB. Look around, we don't exactly need to be restricting access to combat entrants. As long as we're not creating an unfair advantage, we should be as broad in appeal as possible. I've seen nothing that says 72" is an advantage, unfair or otherwise, in LimB. This is actually more consistent, not less, as 72 inchers were allowed for the last two seasons.
lightning

Post by lightning »

All my wings are 64". So <b>that's</b> why Brian gets higher scores than me!!
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<center><b>Beware the</b>
<font color="red"><font size="6"><font face="Trebuchet MS">Battle Axe B</font id="Trebuchet MS"></font id="size6"></font id="red">
<font color="navy"><font size="2"><b>Coming Soon to a field near you!</b></font id="size2"></font id="navy"></center>

A video of the first flights has been leaked! Check it out here:
http://www.treneffrc.com/videos/Battle% ... 061015.wmv

A production model and details will be available soon! Be sure you don't get cleaned by the Battle Axe B!
mad

Post by mad »

Looks good Alex