Forestry tape all around

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">We fly a lot more open class here. In the humid days of summer at the higher speeds you are lucky to get a good running open ship to start combat with a streamer left. loosing one early or even just after start robs you of the potential for streamer points and the other pilots of the potential points. I have not noticed b ships getting tugged around much from cuts.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

My transmitter has this useful stick called a throttle that slows the plane down from full power and keeps the streamer from blowing off before start combat[:D]
mad

Post by mad »

Ed,
I figured that out a couple years ago... But its the other axis on that stick I can't seem to figure out!!!!
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Aaron,

Forrestry Tape is usually a last resort for CDs. As the weather turns wet they try to use Crepe as long as possible. Here's why:

At the St. Valentines Day Massacre 2005, we flew the 4th and final round in the rain, using forestry tape. I hooked a Forestry Tape streamer around my tanglefoot covered wing. My plane was spun around several times, and the wing wrapped in the forrestry tape. Finnaly my plane unhooked from the stremer but I didn't even cut it!

Although it should have been a good cut, I got nothing and almost crashed from being stalled right above the trees.

However the wording of rule 4.7 of the Open Class Rules does permit you to use forrestry tape at your contests if you really want to.
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">We fly a lot more open class here. In the humid days of summer at the higher speeds you are lucky to get a good running open ship to start combat with a streamer left. loosing one early or even just after start robs you of the potential for streamer points and the other pilots of the potential points. I have not noticed b ships getting tugged around much from cuts.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

My transmitter has this useful stick called a throttle that slows the plane down from full power and keeps the streamer from blowing off before start combat[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ill have to look into one of them, Ed... Mine seems to work more like a light switch[;)]
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I'm gonna try out a cash register paper roll for streamers this week end see if it holds, hopfully it's humid unuff for a good test[:D], this paper is a bit more stronger than crepe paper. bad thing is that the color is white , but this roll that I use is for thermal registers and it turns black with the sun or a 300w light

Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Just be careful! If you get it over your ear on launch it could be one nasty paper cut!
Tim Treneff

Post by Tim Treneff »

Scott,
I apologize that I'm a few months behind reading the web site, but your right about the weather in Jackson. It never rains on contest day, the sky is always blue (as is our blue suede shoes) and the temperature is always 72 degrees!

But then, Johnny Cash got married in Jackson and it was" Hotter than a pepper sprout"!

Perhaps using full 2" crepe streamers (the rules would need modified) would make the crepe more durable on dry days and is available at every corner store. It only requires cutting to length and rolling.

We always use 2" crepe for practice and club combat by stretching out our arms 3 times (about 18 feet). It gives about the same drag as a 1" by 30ft streamer and is a lot easier to make. We don't even bother rolling them for practice.
AIM

Post by AIM »

We've used full 2" crepe just messin around and I don't recall it being much better than the narrow stuff.
I doubt I'm gonna get everyone to jump on the FT bandwagon like I'd hoped, but I think from reading everyones responses that a material half way between crepe and FT would be desirable to many of us.
I'm certain it's out there. We just have to find it.
Oehrle

Post by Oehrle »

All

I prefer the crepe and the CD can switch
to Forestry Tape if it is to wet.

Thanks Mike for providing rolled streamers!!!

Gary Oehrle
cccdad

Post by cccdad »

You wont get me on the FT bandwagon In a demo it was wet and we used FT I had a full wrap around the wing that it pulled the plane off course the tape still did not break. but it when the drape pulled off my wing it friction burned through my covering. I could also see the problems whith that fiber getting in the thrust bearing of the motor. I would rather trash my planes with good old fashion dirt than fancy tape.
AIM

Post by AIM »

A discussion was brought up the other day about the benefits of switching to forestry tape. I just sat here and reread this entire thread and would like to continue this pro/con conversation. I encourage you all to reread the whole thing and hopefully we'll get a few different people to chime in an opinion.
Tim Treneff

Post by Tim Treneff »

I just bought a new batch for the Mid-America contest (to gaurentee no rain) and the new batch has way less fiber than the stuff I bought last year.

And the gaurentee worked! We had hot and dry weather!
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tim Treneff</i>
<br />

And the gaurentee worked! We had hot and dry weather!

There's the understatement of the month. But a great time[:D]
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AIM</i>
<br />A discussion was brought up the other day about the benefits of switching to forestry tape. I just sat here and reread this entire thread and would like to continue this pro/con conversation. I encourage you all to reread the whole thing and hopefully we'll get a few different people to chime in an opinion.

All you need to do is outlaw tanglefoot (any sticky substance). Not only do you get the effect of using forestry tape, but you avoid the mess of tanglefoot, which to me is the worst part of flying in a contest.

I proposed this change a couple years ago, but people preferred using dennecrepe and tanglefoot (understatement!) [8D]
lightning

Post by lightning »

Alex, I agree on the Tanglefoot - I don't use it but I still get it all over my plane, usually from one of the Gilkey's. And I hate the stuff with a passion. The good news is that some people are having difficulty finding it in the caulking gun type tubes.
I use 1/2" wide 2-sided tape along my wing LE and peel the backing paper off just before we start to fly. It works well for me and no messy airplanes (at least not until someone hits me!!).
The whole discussion of crepe vs. flagging tape comes about when one individual scoops all the streamers in the first 30 seconds of a round and then evades everyone else for the next 4 1/2 minutes. The rationale behind the flagging tape was to have more targets available for longer.
Perhaps banning sticky stuff would have a similar effect. The Russians apparently use sandpaper.