Forestry tape all around

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

THend

Post by THend »

[:D]Rules discussion??[:D]

Who is cracking the whip these days?
AIM

Post by AIM »

No,,, not a rules discussion! This topic is for opinions/thoughts!
I don't care at this point what the exact wording of the RULES are.
Fact is that I "myself" see a POSSIBLE benifit to using FT.
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

Wouldn't always using forestry tape increase the load on the CD, since most CDs buy their crepe streamers pre-rolled and just have some tape streamers as backup?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I think just the opposite, one streamer to stock, less used because it can be re-used, obviously when you use it more than once you have to deal with tails on the flight line but we do anyway most of the time. No stretch in the FT to compensate for. as a CD I think it would be less worry, Humidity is not a factor, when to switch back and forth,no complaining about switching, all scores wet or dry would be comparable and it COULD help eliminate the 4 guys yelling cut when a little piece of streamer falls off a plane from fatigue. Dont see that near as much in ssc but in open...
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

ON reflection I agree with Alex that the rules are kinda mealy-mouthed as they just say "recommended" although they pretty clearly allow for alternate materials only in the case of weather conditions. I think it's clear that the intent was for crepe unless the weather did not allow, but the letter of the law is "recommended." interesting! I also agree that this is not intended to be a rules discussion, just a pro-con so i'll stop talking about rules! Alex, I dont think most CDs (least wise not around these parts from what I have seen) get pre-rolled and rolling streamers is a major pain, FT is a bit easier in that regard. Although (there's always an "although"), the payed-out streamers all over the pit area can be a bit of a problem at times, getting stepped on, wrapped up in people's starter stands, etc. Plus you get those kinky dudes from Ohio and Indiana who like to take the FT and use it to tie up sheep and other farm animals. In addition i always want to have a spare streamer nearby in case of a "launch issue" and when in Northern Ohio (not naming any names) contests my SPARE STREAMER IS ALWAYS GETTING SWIPED by some snake who can't get his own. Again, not naming any snake's names such as, say, Roid or Sunshine or Lightning or the other dudes I recently pitted near whom i suspect of STREAMER SWIPING!!!
Captain America

We only tied those streamers to the sheeps tail so you city boys would know what end did not bite...
AIM

Post by AIM »

Now thats FUNNY!!!!!
THend

Post by THend »

"This topic is for opinions/thoughts!"

NAES tried this, and his topic got shoved into the rules only section.

NAES is no longer flying combat, and that was one straw for sure that drove him away.

Point: I think it is GOOD to be out in the open talking about this stuff, so long as it stays civil, and with respect. Ideas and thoughts are very important, and help us grow.

Wasn't picking on anyone, just pointing out how things are not done equally for all.

Streamers, obviously it is time to talk about them. Come to some reasonable options and then contact the District Reps, and follow the PNP.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I don't think Aaron brought it up as a serious rules proposal, just a discussion topic, so those of us who brought up "the rules" hijacked it. Brian says he has no strong feelings either way, he likes the pros (and dislikes the cons) of both types but overall he probably has a slight preference for FT. He also pointed out that one advantage to all FT all the time is that it would equalize scores across the country, so those areas with wet/humid weather where FT is used fairly frequently will have the same material as the more arid areas which could use crepe more often.

If we could get the stuff in black i think we'd both be even more in favor of FT.
AIM

Post by AIM »

I don't really have a problem seeing the FT. But of course no better than I fly it really doesn't matter if I see it at all.
jfromm

Post by jfromm »

I think the streamer material that came from Russia would be better, but we can’t find a source for it. If people are buying $1000 at a time, I’m sure a source could be secured. I liked it because of the large size and metallic colors. I’m always concerned with cuts being missed and phantom cuts being called.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I wish we could find the maufacturer of the Russian stuff. I think it would be better than FT too.
With FT the only color that you can see well is red. All the colors of the Russian material showed up well.
AIM

Post by AIM »

Gonna be gone till Monday.
My son is graduating from basic training in the Army at Fort Sill Oklahoma on Friday and I'm gonna be there. Yep gotta admit..(proud as a peacock)

I like the pro/con conversation,,, that was the intent.
lightning

Post by lightning »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sgilkey</i>
<br />snip........ Again, not naming any snake's names such as, say, Roid or Sunshine or Lightning or the other dudes I recently pitted near whom i suspect of STREAMER SWIPING!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Oh, the pain. I am mortified. And to think I tried to RETURN the streamer I legitimately cut off your plane, but you declined - almost as if it was tainted or something!
Oh the injustice!
Captain America

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hat Trick</i>
<br />I wish we could find the maufacturer of the Russian stuff. I think it would be better than FT too.
With FT the only color that you can see well is red. All the colors of the Russian material showed up well.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Why cant you just ask your Russian hosts how they procure it and from where? They got it somewhere right?
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

they told us the name and we searched on it but came up emptyhanded, the closest we found was suppliers to cheerleaders/etc which sell it in short lengths and high prices. based on what the Russians tell us they pay for hobby supplies i can pretty much guess that we won't want to buy from their sources but you never know! i will ask them for a source on our next email!