Question for all pilots...

If it flew combat between 1935 and 1955, here's the place to talk about it!
Also a great place to talk about Competition!

Moderator: hbartel

Lou Melancon

Question for all pilots...

Post by Lou Melancon »

If you knew there was a big contest coming in 7 months, and that one of the events would be scale combat, would you fly Scale?

The 2007 Dixie Nats will be held over the Memorial Day Weekend in Georgia because the weather is very mild, and the participants have the Monday holiday to return home. That gives you seven months from now to design, build, test and perfect WWII fighters for the event.

There are three big scale contests each year: the Lone Star Nationals in March, the Dixie Nationals in May, and the AMA Muncie Nationals in July. These three events are enough to utilize your planes, but not so many that you need to be on a building binge to keep up. <i><b>Besides your local club members would probably rather see you with a Zero, FW190, Spitfire, or Mustang in your hands than one of those awkward looking Open ships you normally fly!</i></b>

Now here are the three big questions:
1. Will you fly Scale at the Dixie Nats?
2. What would you prefer to fly? AMA Rule book 2610, or RCCA Provisional 2548?
3. Do you have to get NPS points for flying Scale at Dixie?

The pluses for 2610 are that it is very fast, you have more airplanes to choose from and the rules regarding engines and props are less restrictive.

The minuses for 2610 is that it is very fast, the rules drive competitors to long wing span fighters which are somewhat less than mainstream, and it is unrestricted with regards to powerplants - being bound only by displacement.

The pluses for 2548 are that the planes are all the same general size, the class features performance limits, and in general there are more front line fighters in 2548 than 2610.

The minuses for 2548 are that you have to accept performance limits, you have to pass the “pass failâ€
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Yes I will fly scale at the Dixie Nats. I would love for it to be 2548. I like that all the planes are nearly the same size and that all fly nearly the same speed. I like that it is a bit slower so carnage goes down a bit. And I especially like that I can be competitive with an E powered plane. Thanks Lou for deciding to keep the Dixie Nats going. It is a great tradition and I hope it stays for a long time. Good to see you getting your head back where it belongs, COMBAT!!!!
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I second all of Drew`s comments. Pretty good chance that I will come, if the events are SSC, B, and 2548. I thought 2548 was a good event at the DN in 2005. Didn`t we have 12 pilots? I think that`s right.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I think we'd be interested in this event but i don't think we could attend. This is around the same time as the Samara, Russia meet next year and we probably won't make that one either for the same reason, that is roughly the last week or so of high school for Brian and it will not be a good time to be away. This will be less of a time commitment but still probably not going to work out. we'd only know for sure when we see finals schedule, etc. I'd consider coming with Eric, he hasn't flown scale yet but i'm sure he could adapt. As to classes, we have scads of 2610 and a couple of 2548 so could do either class. We like them both. Brian seems to really like the 2548 since, at least at the meets he's flown in, it has been almost all pursuit and he really likes that. I haven't flown it in a meet but it looks really fun. So given a choice we'd probably lean towards 2548. A hybrid class of, say, 2548 powerplants/props on 2610 airframes, we could do as well, we have plenty of 2610 airframes and that would let us keep our two measly 2548s for NATS! NPS doesn't matter to us, we fly too few heats per season to really make a go of NPS anyway. If i flew more heats, I would dominate NPS of course but I just can't get to that many meets!
cshepherd

Post by cshepherd »

Now here are the three big questions:
1. Will you fly Scale at the Dixie Nats?

<b><font size="4">YES</font id="size4"></b>

2. What would you prefer to fly? AMA Rule book 2610, or RCCA Provisional 2548?

<b><font size="4">Majority Rules, but probably 2548</font id="size4"></b>

3. Do you have to get NPS points for flying Scale at Dixie?

<b><font size="4">Don't really care!</font id="size4"></b>
boiler

Post by boiler »

I have to rebuild my 2610 planes for next year since none are in flyable condition right now.[:(] I have 3 2548 planes ready (?) now.[:)] I like both for different reasons. That said and having read the previous posts, yes I would fly scale and would prefer the 2548. Of course I could lose some of the 2548 stock at the LSN but I would have 2 months to repair. I think that the 2610 planes with prop and muffler changes would greatly out perform the stock 2548 planes. The points don't matter for me so I doubt that I would take a chance on messing up a 2610 plane when I already have 2548 planes. I like SSC and Limited B as well. I think I flew more open B than anyone else this year but my age prefers the slower reflexes required to fly Limited.[;)]
mad

Post by mad »

I look forward to some 2548 at Dixie. Missed flying it this year.
Good to hear from you Lou.
slam

Post by slam »

my vote....

dixie nats.....heck yeah

scale....heck yeah, would prefer 2548. love the equality, lack of arms race, and the cool front line fighters.

nps.......don't really care cause it will probably be my only scale event. however, i don't know if i want to see the long wing 2610 planes mix it up , even if they are down on motor, i think they will out perform a strickly 2548 plane.

i love the dixie nats and look forward to another year of it.

thanks lou

slam
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I'm interested! 2548 is my choice!
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Don`t want to hijack Lou`s thread, but it looks like a lot of scale flyers are here, so I`d like to ask a question if I may.

Wouldn`t it be a good thing if airframes between the two classes were standardised (except for the 2548 list). In other words, adopt the "scale to 48" rule" and some sort of minimum weight (maybe 48oz) into 2610.

You could still build any thing you want for 2610, but all 2548`s would easily convert to 2610 with a prop and muffler swap.

Don`t answer here, don`t want to get into a rules disscussion, but check out the "rules forum" for a similar thread.
montague

Post by montague »

Unless something goes wrong, I'll be there regardless.

I'd prefer 2610, but 2548 would be ok. (though I really need to get busy with a better design).
THend

Post by THend »

[:D]
Father O 5

Post by Father O 5 »

Nobody has mentioned it here yet, but what about e3696? At least as an exibition.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Father O 5</i>
<br />Nobody has mentioned it here yet, but what about e3696? At least as an exibition.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I spoke with Lou about it and he seemed open to it.
Lou Melancon

Post by Lou Melancon »

I don't have a problem with flying 3696 as an exhibition. It can be flown after all the other events are done, as a demo. I just hope that we don't have folks showing up only for the demo and not the contest. I might make it mandatory that you compete in the contest to participate in the demo. That way the focus is not taken off of the contest.