3696 roll call-what's been built so far?

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Looks good Ed. I agree with Slam. If the battery will turn one motor at 9k, but won`t do it with two, it`s because the voltage is dropping too much.

I`ve bought quite a few of the Loong Max brand from UH and so far they work great. One of their 3s 2250 20c batts for about $25 should get your RPMs up.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

You guys get signed up for LSN.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Flew the 219 with the 2409-12s and 8x6 props on Sunday. Much improved performance. Unfortunately bent a shaft on landing, so trials with other props has been postponed. Rebuilt the motor last night with a solid replacement shaft that seems much stiffer than the original threaded one.

Also, painted the markings on her so that the sticker police would be appeased[:D] Frisket film works very well for airbrushing markings.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

What servos are the pick for 3696 these days? I have a couple new P-51s to finish before LSN, and need to order some radio gear. I'm going to use Electron 6 RX's, but need some servos (preferably Hitec or Hobbico for the warranty).

Thanks guys [:)]
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Warranty? What's that? 3 midairs or 36 rounds with a 1 year OS powertrain warranty?...[:p]
boiler

Post by boiler »

The hi tech 81 or 85 mg are pretty popular but I'm using the GWS servo that has more torque and doesn't strip as easily. You can get them from servohut.com for about $17. I use them in my SSC and 2548 planes as well.
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boiler</i>
<br />The hi tech 81 or 85 mg are pretty popular but I'm using the GWS servo that has more torque and doesn't strip as easily. You can get them from servohut.com for about $17. I use them in my SSC and 2548 planes as well.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Thanks Bob. The HS-81MG has apparently been discontinued, but I e-mailed Hobbico and they said they haven't heard of any plans to discontinue the CS-12MG, so I guess I'll go with them.

There is a new HS-82MG but I haven't found any information on them, and they are $30!! [:0]
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I hate to hear that about the 81mg...I wonder what they'll replace it with.

I've seen the GWS "mini" mg for about that price. They are equivilent to the 85mg, but at an 81mg price. Dave and the rest of us have been getting the HXT 20.2gram mg's for about 14 bucks, so we'll probably be using them. My airframes are coming up light, anyway.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I noticed they have an HS-82...funny, it looks identical to an HS-81, and is the same price...wonder why the change?
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

I would imagine it has to do with warranty returns. That, and keeping a "fresh product line."

Craftsman's tools change cosmetically all the time, but generally still perform the exact same function.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Today marked the maiden flight of the prototype of the second 3696 we will be kitting, a FW-190A. Like the Zero, it is all CNC cut foam reinforced with fiberglass rods. The cowl and canopy are professionally vacuformed and look super. Powerplant is a BM2908 turning an 9x6 MAS using a 2000mah Commonsense RC 8C battery. Test weight was 26 ounces. The initial flight was a bit challenging due to way too much elevator throw, but second and third flights went very well. The only problem on those flights was the internal air pressure blowing off the battery hatch, but that has been fixed with a revised latching system. I hope to have videos shortly.

crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Looking good. How much are thse and the Zero's going to go for? And what are you guys using for covering on these? It looks like it might be painted tape. It also loks like you've come up with a bolt on wing? Or is it glued in place?
tiger_musky

Post by tiger_musky »

Ed,

Once again another beautiful bird. I'll be looking forward to them going into production and helping support the cause. I've been working on my two spitfires and I'll try to get my pictures out here shortly. I forgot to renew my RCCA membership so I no longer have access to the RCCA photo gallery. I'll get this fixed shortly. Does anyone else have some photos to post of their winter 3696 projects?

Nate
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Thanks for the compliments. These are very fun to fly and have a high "cool factor".

The wing is bolted on with a pin in the leading edge and a 1/4" nylon bolt near the trailing edge. You could also use rubber bands if you want to do the mod yourself. I built Zeros both ways.

The covering on the FW is packing tape, scuffed with steel wool and wiped down with denatured alcohol to remove the shine from the tape and allow the primer and paint to grip. Krylon plastic primer was applied and allow to harden for 24 hours, then it was airbrushed with Testors RLM 74/75/76 acrylic paints. Decals are from the Park Zone FW-190. Lots of choices for paints because you don't have to worry about nitro eating into it. I picked a generic scheme for the prototype, and will spend more time on the next pre-production model.

I'm not very good at covering, and pretty much dislike Monokote and its limited colors. You need a light weight covering that can be painted, so if anyone has any proven approaches, please let me know.

As for pricing we haven't firmed up on that as we are looking at marketing to both the combat and sport flying communities and need to look at distribution channels. We need to make a reasonable profit but not a fortune.[:D] Ever hear this one:

How do you make a small fortune in aviation/modeling? Start with a large fortune!
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />Here's the latest from Kettler Flugzeugwerks: a 45" He-219 "Uhu"

A build article can be found at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777842
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ed, very nice plane. I read through the build article - very detailed! One thing I wondered is if you have had any problems with the bolt-on wing? I've been testing Mustangs, and have been using rubber bands on them - I could retrofit the design for bolt-on style if it works - it never caught on in open (SSC, B) becuase it caused more damage in a crash than rubber bands.

I've been tweaking the design but I'm going to have some Mustangs ready for battle at LSN, and might try a twin later in the summer.

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”