3696 roll call-what's been built so far?

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

crash_out

Post by crash_out »

My Mustang is a 2" fuse, with fan fold sides to make it 2.5 inches wide. Uses 2 HS-81 MG's, Hitec Electron 6 rx, Castle Phoenix 25 ESC, Turnigy 35-36C 1100kv outrunner, and 3s 1800 Loong Max 20C batts. With the new style MAS prop it will pull 21 amps and hit about 10,700rpms. Dialed down to 9000, it pulls about 14 amps. It weighed in about 26 ounces-a little light, and you could tell it as I lined up with Alex-I'd gain on him. 1 1/4" dowel spar in the wing with a couple of bamboo skewers in the center for support, and 1/8" dowels on either side of the fuse, then almost completely covered with strapping tape.

The wing is E205, and is based on the scale wing-about 230 sq/in. This plane was a first model prototype to determine if everything was going to work. It flys well, but there are a few more things to fix. Like a cowl, belly scoop, redesigned firewall system, stall strips on the wings, decals....I had a bunch of chrome Ultracote, which looks wonderful on the plane, but is so hard to work with I don't think I'll use it again...

These little buggers are quick-they seem faster than SSC ships(but that may be mainly the size), but they don't seem to handle as well. There seems less "furballing" and more what I'd call "traditional" dog-fighting. Most of the close shots were the result strategy and a plan of attack rather than berserk-yank-and-bank attacks.

Ed-was there a specific plastic primer you used? None of the primers I've seen at the local department store say anything about being for plastic, and I bought some Krylon Fusion in flat white to use as primer base for my acrylic paints. Now if my airbrush will ever get here....
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Nick,

I used Rustoleum Plastic Primer in a rattle can for the last two planes. Got it from Home Depot. Krylon also supposedly makes a plastic primer, but I don't have any on hand.

Nice job on the planes guys. Hope to see you folks at LSN this month!
jj

Post by jj »

Part of what makes this a fun class is the fairly quick speed and the lack of furballs. The weight and sq inches make for pursuit style flying which is fun to watch and fly, and also, at least in theory, reduces carnage.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

That seems about right. I just wonder if 5 minutes of it is enough! It goes by pretty quick in the heat of it
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />I have had pretty good success using plastic spray primer over scuffed tape that is then cleaned with alcohol. Once that dries for a day, it seems to take acrylic model paints pretty well.

Try the Dove Grey instead of the white on Zeros.

Ed<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Ed, I think Dove Grey only comes in Ultracote, not econokote.

I'll try some other paints, and try the primer. Is it the Krylon stuff?
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Any interest in a thread devoted to a build-along of a 3696 kit? I've got a few kits cut and thought about building one with an accompanying thread online. It probably won't involve any manufacturing details, just what you'd be doing if you had a complete kit cut and ready to assemble.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by crash_out</i>
<br />Any interest in a thread devoted to a build-along of a 3696 kit? I've got a few kits cut and thought about building one with an accompanying thread online. It probably won't involve any manufacturing details, just what you'd be doing if you had a complete kit cut and ready to assemble.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Go for it!
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Probably be a MiG-3. As soon as I get my work area cleaned up and my camera dusted off I'll go at it.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Sounds great.
rbajema

Post by rbajema »

Ben and I flew our first 3696 Hawker Tempest II this evening - 2 flights were required to get it dialed in a bit, for the next 4 it flew better than we exected [:D] and then it was too dark - that camo and grey makes it tough in poor light. Ed, you were right about the small control surface movements - we started at 100% and it was WAY too quick for me to fly!

We are comparing it to a FW190 RTF that we won in a drawing (parkzone?)- better in every way and much more durable.

We built it from 1 1/2" EPE sheets glued with 3M90. The e197 wing (~240 sq in) is covered with tyvek and the fuse with bidi. BM2908 motor, MAC 8 30A ESC and Zippy 20C 2250 mah battery. Came out to 28.0 oz on our scale. We are using hxt900 servos. Plenty of battery life!

Will post photos when we figure out how to do it [B)]

We really appreciate all the info on this site and especially talking with Ed, Lee, and Cash at a couple of the combat events last summer.

Next is finishing the other Temptest and starting on a pair of SSC birds...

Rick and Ben B
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Allright guys, love it!! If I've been a little quiet lately, it's because I've been spending some time on non-combat birds. I have some ideas for some new planes whizzing away though..My fleet is still intact from last year, except for the KI-43 moving into the Yak-3's spot. The Yak was the first plane I built for this class, and I had to use 2 full size (standard) servos in the wing just to make weight!! Think I built her too light, as it gets damaged a bit easier than the rest, so she's in for depot maintainan...maintainen...gettin' fixed...[:D]

BTW..the Buffalo, despite having been thru 4 hard midairs, is still up to speed..just thought I'd give ya'll a little heads up, just so you'll know what got yer streamer..[:p]
Colonel Cash Hargett
Commander, 12th Pursuit Squadron
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Ain't nothing like them little short, stubby rats. Turn into battering rams in the air, don't they?
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Rick, be sure to come out to the Lone Star Nationals this weekend at Greater Southwest Flyers in Ft Worth (SE Corner of FW)flygsw.org to watch these birds in action. We should be flying the 3696 planes starting mid-afternnon on Saturday. Lots of other action:

- Friday noon - 2548 Scale WW2 glow
- Saturday 10AM - SSC
- Saturday PM - 3696
- Sunday 9AM - Open B
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Here`s a new plane for the 2009 season. This is an IAR-80, a Romanian fighter. It was built by Lester Haurey. Lester flies F2D ( FAI style CL combat), He`s also becoming a pretty good RC pilot.

It was built with building methods outlined in my RCCA Gallery. He also made it a one piece airframe at my suggestion. I told him that we don`t have many mid-airs in 3696. So you guys don`t make me look bad.

Look for Lester and his Romanian girlfriend to show up at quite a few 3696 get togethers this year.
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Lee Liddle
Look for Lester and his Romanian girlfriend to show up at quite a few 3696 get togethers this year.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

So NOW you've gone and "corrupted" Lester too...[:)] Next we'll see Stubby with a transmitter box in his hand...[;)]

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”