3696 roll call-what's been built so far?

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Looks great Ed. I think you wasted your money on the HS-56. I bought a bunch of these thinking the same way. However, they are NOT 4 times stronger when it comes to combat. I have stripped many of these servos. If you need a light weight strong servo try the HS-65MG. I have a few of these and they seem to be holding up. Get your wallet out though, they are $29 a piece...OUCH
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

I got a chance to fly the Dauntless, and I must say Ed's skills at building are improving, it flew very nice, turned well and was very predictable. His paint scheme looked good too!! I have a soft spot in my heart for Dauntlesses, my first "real" combat model was a JDB Aerotech Dauntless, I flew it to death...literally..ask Ed[:D]

Cash

Nice bird Ed, you deserve a big, ol' fashioned 12th Pursuit
<font size="6"><font color="blue"><font face="Georgia">SALUTE!!!</font id="Georgia"></font id="blue"></font id="size6">
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Today was the maiden of the second Zero prototype, and we are getting close to releasing the kit as this one flies great and the build was very easy. My wife won't know what to do with me now that I can build a plane without looking like Papa Smurf after a session sanding foam[:D]

All up, ready to fly weight is 25 ounces, including one ounce of lead in the cowl. The motor is an E-flight 480 1020 kv which turned the 9x6 at 8900 at full throttle end point, drawing 12.9 amps static. The ESC is a Castle 35 amp, receiver is a Corona 6 channel, servos are Hitec 56HBs on the ailerons and a recycled HS81MG on the elevator. Canopy and cowl are GWS, covering is dove gray Ultracote. Decals are GWS, too.

Cash flew the first flight so I could take pictures. A little too much ailerons, and some minor trim adjustements were all that were needed. Flight number two later in the day got some better sun angles for the enclosed pictures. Thanks to Scott Stockwell for his work with me in developing the plane, and to Cash for taking care of the flight test duties.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Great looking plane Ed!! That`s a very well engineered kit. I`m sure that it will be a hit. And, it flies as great as it looks.

I hear Travis is going to join the 3696 group with a Zero or two. He called me today and is also intrested in a Mustang. It will be good to have Travis and Harold back flying with us next year. Interest is growing again in North Texas, we just need to stay the course.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I may get to finish the p-39 that I started last spring before next season. My younger brother went home from the hospital and is having hospice at the house for the next month or so. Had a lot of distractions lately as you may guess. The plane was showing a lot of promise but I need to get it finished if the concept is to be validated. I spend weekday work hour time with my brother as it is plenty crowded in the late day and weekends. Great looking plane Ed. Good work Cash, you didn't crash it for Ed before he got to fly it.[;)]
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

The Zero from the Stockwell/Kettler Flugzuegwerk flew quite well. I had to give it very little trim to get her flying hands off, and it flew very nicely, I was impressed from the get-go. Also, Ed has made huge improvemnts on learning how to cover with iron on film, and this plane reflects that. I have one of these lanquishing on my workbench, and I'm hoping to have it finished in a few weeks for the second evaluation...

Good job, Ed and Scott!!
Cash
boiler

Post by boiler »

Well I thought it was done last weekend before I had to go to a school board convention. It needs control horns and pushrods on the bottom of the wing. Then it will be test flight time.

I hope to test fly it Friday or sooner.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Looks good, Bob, let us know how she flies!!
I think you just earned your commision into the 12th Pursuit Squadron!

<b><font size="4"><font color="navy">SQUADRON!!</font id="navy"></font id="size4"></b>
<b><font size="5"><font color="navy">PREEESENT ARMS!!!</font id="navy"></font id="size5"></b>
It is my pleasure as the Commander of the 12th Pursuit Squadron to bestow the rank of Lt. Colonel to our newest member, Bob Loescher, call sign "Boiler". I'm sure that he will wear the rank with pride, and be a credit to the unit...
<b><font size="4"><font color="navy">ORDER ARMS!!</font id="navy"></font id="size4"></b>
wait for it.............<b></b><font size="6">DISMISSED!!</font id="size6">

Cash Hargett
Commander, 12th Pursuit Squadron
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Looks good Bob, good luch with the test flights.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Finished it up late last night but didn't get a chance to try it out till about 30 minutes ago. It flew GREAT. I was a little rusty at the sticks since that is the first time I have flown in two months. It took me about 2 minutes to fine tune the trim before I experimented with rates and inverted flight. After a few more minutes of enjoyment I shut her off to see what kind of glide I would have. Awesome! I was on the way back into the house and said to myself that I should do a launch on low rates before stopping. She launched fine but after about 30 seconds I got into a stall when the battery shut down. Unfourtanatly I couldn't bring her out of the swan dive. No damage, but the ground isn't rock hard around here. In any event, she appears to be a keeper and the battery wasn't hot when I took it out. I guess the air does move through the tube fuselage pretty well.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I have a build article going on in RC groups for my He-219: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... ost8625098
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Nice job Bob! Aren't these a lot of fun?!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Here's the latest from Kettler Flugzeugwerks: a 45" He-219 "Uhu"

A build article can be found at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777842

Scott Stockwell cut the wings and nacelles for me. We got two flights in today, with Scott serving as launch officer (catapult) and Cash as test pilot. I was combat camerman/videographer, but did manage to pry the transmitter out of Cash's hands for a bit of flying. Overall, I am much happier with the Uhu than the Beaufighter. I am running it off a single 2000mah CommonsenseRC 8C 3S Lipo. We could only get about 8200 out of the 2409-18s today, so may retrofit some 2409-12s from the Beau to see if we can get her up to (k, which will help quite a bit.

There's a video in the build article, and more pictures there.

Thanks Scott for foam cutting. This would be very difficult to do without CNC.

PS: Cash did not bring the Buffalo, so the Uhu was safe during flight test[:D]
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

I was OIC of the test/acceptance flight of the HE-219 today, and I must say she flew quite nicely. Although it is a little down on power as Ed stated, once it got "on step" it actually moved along quite nicely, and had no bad vices whatsoever. I got it to snap once, but that was a hard turn in a much smaller radius than the other 3696 planes are flying in. I rather suspect that once Ed gets the more powerful setup installed this plane will be quite competitive with the singles out there. The plane almost handles like a trainer, and once trimmed, I had no problems putting her where I wanted, and flying her right back out. Kudos to Ed and Scott for engineering such a neat bird, and my thanks for allowing me to test her. Now, I just need to chase her around with the Brewster...[:D]
slam

Post by slam »

VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have found those batteries to be.......lacking. before you go to a different motor you might want to try a better battery.

keep up the great work

slam

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”