E3696 - anyone doing RSN?

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

adamdb

E3696 - anyone doing RSN?

Post by adamdb »

Is anyone covering their 3696 planes with rip stop nylon? Or would this just add too much weight?

I found some nice grey RSN and thought it might eliminate the need to do much painting (with the right subject of course). I also think it looks better than the packing tape, but that is just my opinion.

Adam
adamdb

Post by adamdb »

A second question then since no one is chiming in. Has anyone ever done any measurements to see how much weight colored packing tape adds? For instance, to cover 100 sq. in. using colored packing tape adds how many grams?

I did some tests with rip stop nylon and water based polyurethane. Per 100 sq. in. it adds 12-14 gr. I also noticed that you don't have to brush a layer on top of the RSN. It sticks quite nicely by just painting the foam with the WBP and placing the pre-soaked RSN on top. I did go over the top of the RSN with a wet brush (water only) just to help smooth out the wrinkles. I figured that since we are not going for fuel proofing, the coat of WBP on top was just extra weight.

So please, if someone has gone through this exercise before let us know what the weight gain is with colored packing tape. Or if you are still building, please weigh your plane before and after the packing tape (and any strapping tape you may add for strength/armor) and let us know the difference.

Thanks,
Adam

P.S. I just realized I am building a combat plane with FOAM! SPAD-aholics please forgive me!
slam

Post by slam »

the spad police have been notified and your workshop is surrounded.[}:)]

i can't answer your question. the first jug i built had clear and bidi tape on it, the second one had just bidi on it. i then paint with fusion paint.

i have never had any luck with ripstop, but have seen some nice work with it.

weight isn't as much of an issue as in other classes (obviously if i covered the whole dang plane in bidi). it is easy to come in at the suggested weight of 280z. some even have to add ballast.

sorry i don't have any specific weights, i used to keep track of that info when i build but don't know where i put it.

my suggestion.......go for it. these planes go together pretty fast and easy.

slam
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I'm not to sure any covering is needed at all. For electrics I usually just paint with latex house paint.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Tape is so fast easy and clean, I don`t see what advantage there would be to go to the trouble of rsn.

IMO these do need tape to help strengthen them. I`m using one layer of regular 2" strapping tape on the LE of the wing and a little around the nose area on the fuse.

The new paints that are designed for plastic stick well if you want to get fancy.

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”