Battery packs

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

Smokin Joe

Battery packs

Post by Smokin Joe »

What light weight battery packs are most people using these days? I have to replace my packs soon.

The dozen 370 mAhr NiMH batteries I got three years ago are stuffed. Mind you, I never got more than 300 out of them at best. When I cycled them today, most were only giving 200 to 300 mAhr.

Is anyone using the small LiPo packs with a voltage regulator yet? I'm using them in my pylon racers.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Haven't tried lipo in rx packs yet. they don't seem to like impact much so may not be the best for combat. NiMh are very tough and can take a lot of punishment. You can get cheap 300-400 NiMh packs from cheapbatterypacks.com, the ones I have cycle well (relative to their rated capacity) after three seasons of use. You can also get cheap packs from Balsa Products but in my experience their packs do not do as well relative to rated capacity as the cheapbatterypacks. also i have opened the BP packs and occasionally found some not-very-impressive solder and weld joints. No in-flight failures, though (yet).