New Idea for 3696

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

boiler

New Idea for 3696

Post by boiler »

I got this idea to use up some stuff from the shop and try a new construction for a 3696 plane. The polycarbonate tube to protect fluorescent lights are light and inexpensive. You also need air flow to cool stuff inside the plane. I decided to try something that might work for both. I have no idea if it will really work but I'll find out. Don't know if I'll have it done for the LSN but I'll try.

I first got 3 sheets of 1 inch foam and marked the end with the tube. I then cut the three sheets with a hot wire to approximate shape. I used a bastard half round file to finish the fit.

Then I sanded the tube. I put a generous amount of PU glue and woodpeckered the foam before weighting the whole thing down.

I used 30 minute epoxy to put a 1/4 inch heavy ply firewall on the nose after cutting a 1 1/2 inch hole to line up with the tube.

You should be able to see the pegboard on the wall through the tube. Thanks Bridget for the assistance.

Then I shrank a pop bottle over the nose to help secure the firewall and armour the nose. I just finished making and gooping the tail feathers. After they are dry I'll try to get a pic and another with them inserted into the fuse. Got to get some CA from the hobby shop now. Bye. Can you tell what plane it is from the photos? I'm just using a small 3 view drawing for a guide and no templates.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Bob , good Idea! were you get the tubes? do I have to buy the whole light? or can I get the tubes by them self? I have been looking for them for a wile now to use'm for bladder cavity.

BTW nice shop!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Lowe's or Home Depot have them, and you buy them without the lights. I think I paid $2 for one.

Be careful about using them for bladder cavities, as too tight a fit will cause the infamous "false pressure" problem. Do a trial fit first; snug is ok, hard pressure against the sidewalls is not.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Gil, you see the results of two months of installing peg board and sorting buckets and baskets of stuff that was all over the floor. Everything in the shop was covered with foam dust and spray glue or spray paint. I have used the tubes for bladder cavities. They are very smooth on the inside and can add strength to the wing if glued in place with PU. I got the tubes at Menard's home center. I think any home center has them. I had an idea about a year ago to rip the tubes lengthwise and heat them to take the shape of a wing's leading edge. Of course it was a royal failure. Hence the need to use up a bunch of this stuff.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I've been trapped doing yard work all week. Its cold, windy and rainy today so I got some more done on the tubed 3696.

Can you tell what it is supposed to be now? I've re-shaped it several times trying to get it to look like the picture.

I installed the battery compartment above the wing in the tube. There are bamboo skewers in front and behind the battery to keep it from shifting.

Here is a pic with the battery in place.

I added a wing servo, prop, spinner and a few rubber bands and it looks like 27 oz. With 3 control horns, push rods and tape/paint it should be a little over 28 ounces. Of course my 40 oz. SSC planes only weighed 38 ounces on the TX scales so on those scales I may have to add a half ounce or so to make 28 oz. I just took the pics so the date on the photos is out of whack. I have to take a shower and get ready for a school board function now. No more building or yard work till tomorrow.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

You may want something more substantial to restrain the battery. On my first E3696 tail heavy flight I hit the ground and had fiberglass rods across the fuselage. The battery broke them and tore them out of the foam taking large chunks with it!
boiler

Post by boiler »

Thanks for the info Mike. I was thinking of putting some Velcro in the tube and on the battery. I don't want to restrict the air flow too much. I was afraid the strength of the tube would be compromised with the hole for the battery. It doesn't seem to be a problem. The first real dirt nap will be the true test.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Any further progress on this Bob? I'd be a bit concerned about the CG with the battery in wing saddle.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I checked the CG before I put it there Ed. Looks like it won't be tail heavy. I'm not getting very far on the project the last week due to yard work. I hope for some progress next week.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Just in case the cg is too far back, I can remove the front skewer and move the battery 1 3/4 inches further forward in the tube. At that point the arrow shaft to hold the wing rubber bands would serve as the forward stop.
cipoll717

Post by cipoll717 »

It's a Hellcat!
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Huh? That looks kinda 39ish to me...
Father O 5

Post by Father O 5 »

I was thinking P-47.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I'm glad you two (Mark and Mike) aren't friendly(??) bomber gunners[:D]

Definitely not a P-47 or F6F. More likely a P-39 or P-63.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Ahhhh...which 2?

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”