3696 guide lines for 2007

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

3696 guide lines for 2007

Post by Lee Liddle »

<font size="4"><font color="black">Here is a list of the guide lines that a group of RCCA pilots have decided to use for running demos between now and 7/31/2007. So far these "guide lines" have worked well as we continue build planes and gather useful data.

NOTE: This is not a rules discussion, this is a to be used by those wishing to join in the fun, as a size and performance guide. </font id="black"></font id="size4">

<font size="4"><font color="red">1 Minimum weight 28ozs for singles 35 ozs for twins.

2. SIZE....The plane will have no more than (wing span....36" for singles 45" for twins)..... (wing area Square inches = 250 for singles 350 for twins).

The plane will be at least <font size="6"><font color="blue">24</font id="blue"></font id="size6"> inches from the rear edge of the prop to the elevator hinge line and have a a body that is at least <font size="6"><font color="blue">4</font id="blue"></font id="size6"> inches in height and <font size="6"><font color="blue">2</font id="blue"></font id="size6"> inches in width, measured at a point just in front of the windscreen.

<font size="6"><font color="blue">OR...</font id="blue"></font id="size6">the plane must be within + or - 5% of exact scale (proof of scale rests with the pilot). A 5% plane is still required to meet the maximum span and area rules for the wing.

3. Master Airscrew gas prop 9X6 for singles, direct drive electric 7X6 for twins (brand to be determined) at 9000 RPM. An extra 1000 RPM at CDs Discretion for altitude or high winds.

4. Use 2548 list for approved planes, in verifiable military colors and basic national markings applicable to the aircraft modeled.<font size="5"><font color="blue">x</font id="blue"></font id="size5"> planes are legal in addition to those on the 2548 list (ie... jets, rocket planes, some post-war aircraft to be determined)

5. Setbacks and lines for combat engagement etc to be determined by using .15 as displacement. The same as SSC. All other standard combat rules apply.

6. Demos and/or contests will be held using these rules until 7/31/07, after which they will be open to revision.

</font id="red"></font id="size4">
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

Lee

Do you think there will be any changes made after 07/31 ?
RH

Post by RH »

Don,

From what I am witnessing with both my attempts and the other guys around here who are building these birds, this is a quite satisfactory set of parameters. I don't see any big changes in the airframe guidelines. The propulsion system seems to have the most potential variables tp me. Are you thinking something needs to be changes from what has been listed?

r
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

Randy,
I have not built or flown one yet. 07/31 will be here soon and I plan on starting one and I wanted to know if anything might be changing.From what I've heard everyone seems happy with the existing rules just trying to be safe rather than sorry.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I will echo Randy's comments. The format seems to work, we have good flying planes from sea level to 6000' MSL, they seem durable and easy to build, so I do not see any changes in the format.

The only possbile complaint we have received is that the pilots miss the engine noise, and they have to make that themselves, along with simulated cannon and machine gun fire. I re-mastered the Start Combat CD to make a special version for 3696, and I hope to have favorable reviews.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

One more item for Lee's list: This is intended to be an electric only class
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Lou, I checked the 3696 rules and IC's are fine in it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

<b><i><font size="6"><font color="red">HUH?!!</font id="red"></font id="size6"></i></b>
Bob Leone

Post by Bob Leone »

I guess I'll play then. I just love SLIMMERS
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bob Leone</i>
<br />I guess I'll play then. I just love SLIMMERS
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yeah Bob, get one put together. It's a lot of fun. I think a .15 LA or Magnum will be right on the money.

I'm going to do some redesigning to my F-4F after I flew it at the NATs, but I certainly wasn't disappointed with how it flew at Muncie. I just want to change some of the structural design and my next one needs to have a more realistic color scheme.

Get one of these going and you'll be glad you did. It's tons of fun and the more the merrier! We need a few more than 4 flying next time! [:p]
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I thought E3696 was intended for electric power only, is it not?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

It was intended that way, but we didn`t write anything into the rules stating that.

After seeing and hearing Alex`s OS 10 powered plane fly at the Nats, I see no reason to not allow IC power plants. As long as the prop/rpm limits are followed, the performance seemed very similar. The surprising thing was that the plane was extremely quiet. I only heard prop noise from it.

My belief is, if you want any scale class to be accepted and flown widely, you need to be as inclusive as possible.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

When the electric fighters were first being toyed around with some people (I think it was only one) were using fan fold planes. Are those still permitted, or do you want something with more of a scale look and flying characteristic?

I know that you have to use a 2 inch wide fuse (?) but as long as you had a built up fuse could you have a flat wing? and if so, would it even be competitive in your opinions?
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Only thing I see about anything fanfold, or even 6mm depron for that matter, is it's probably gonna die hard 1st hit. You still have to make the minimum weight of 28ozs w/battery, so a flat wing and a fanfold built up fuse might be a bit too much work for very little return...unless, of course, yer thinking about reenforcing said foam with say, doublers of 2mm coro, among other ideas you just set forth in my poor, tortured imagination...DRAT YOU!!!![:D]

Just as an aside, my Brewster has taken a couple of good hits, one real hard from Col Kettlers Beaufighter, and came home in relatively one piece, so you might add that into your engineering schemes. The Brewster is a solid foam fuse, balsa tail, and a foam, glass rod and bidi wing...
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Oh yeah, a flat wing (no airfoil) with a 250 qsuare inch max and a 28 ounce minimum weight would probably fly like puppy poop, IMHO. I'm not trying to dissuade you, you and Scott are a couple of good builders and you ARE a hot pilot, but I just don't think any of us have the means to change physics....[;)]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<font size="5"><b><font color="red">Updated 3696 Guidelines</font id="red"></b></font id="size5">

<font size="4">Here is a list of the guide lines that a group of RCCA pilots have decided to use for running demos between <b><font color="red">8/1/2007</font id="red"></b> and <b><font color="red">12/31/2007</font id="red"></b>. So far these "guide lines" have worked well as we continue build planes and gather useful data. These have been reviewed by Lee, JJ, Drewjet, Slam, Randy, Cash and JP.

NOTE: This is not a rules discussion, this is to be used by those wishing to join in the fun, as a size and performance guide.

1 Minimum "ready to launch" weight is 28ozs for singles and 35 ozs for twins.

2. Size. Single engine aircraft will have a maximum wingspan of <b><font color="red">36</font id="red"></b> inches, and a maximum wing area of <b><font color="red">250</font id="red"></b> square inches. Twin engine aircraft will have a maximum wingspan of <b><font color="red">45</font id="red"></b> inches, and a maximum wing area of <b><font color="red">350</font id="red"></b> square inches.

The plane will be at least <b><font color="red">24</font id="red"></b> inches from the rear edge of the prop to the elevator hinge line and have a body that is at least <b><font color="red">4</font id="red"></b> inches in height and <b><font color="red">2</font id="red"></b> inches in width, measured at a point just in front of the windscreen.

OR...the plane must be within + or - <b><font color="red">5%</font id="red"></b> of exact scale (proof of scale rests with the pilot). A 5% plane is still required to meet the maximum span and area rules for the wing.

3. Props and RPM. Master Airscrew gas prop 9X6 for singles, 7X6 for twins (brand to be determined) at 9000 RPM. An extra 1000 RPM at CD’s discretion for altitude or high winds.

4. Piston-engined fighter, fighter bomber and attack planes that were engaged in offensive aerial combat or were in combat squadrons in WW2 are allowed, and must be in verifiable military colors and basic national markings applicable to the aircraft modeled. TBD: jets, rockets, some post-war planes.

5. Setbacks and lines for combat engagement etc to be determined by using .15 as displacement, the same as SSC. All other standard combat rules apply.

6. Demos and/or contests will be held using these rules until <b><font color="red">12/31/07</font id="red"></b>, after which they will be open to revision or replaced by RCCA provisional rules.</font id="size4">

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”