Limited B engines

All Things Related to Limited B

Moderator: hbartel

o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

one thing you don't want to do with a norvel wile its still hot is tighten or remove the glowplug, wait till it cools off before doing this, I have stiped the glowplug threads on 2 of my norvels[:I], I like them, but I will be buying FX instead if needed, I own 2 FX, and letme tell ya' theres one that I recently retired before the LSN this year, I flew the hell out of it for 3 years on a pipe and can, and I mean weekly, no telling how many gallons it burned[:D]
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Yeah, It's kinda hard to kill an FX, it takes a lot...I still think it's the best 2-stroke on the planet...
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rabbit Leader</i>
<br />Yeah, It's kinda hard to kill an FX, it takes a lot...I still think it's the best 2-stroke on the planet...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Even running themm into a metal storage container [:I]
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Dave, if you have that MVVS at Hillside, I can loan you an OS carb to try on it to see if that makes a difference
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Even running themm into a metal storage container <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

YEAH!!! Maybe I can get some sort of contract with OS to use that incident as some sort of ad...kinda like the ol "takes a licking, keeps on ticking" Timex ads. "We're gonna Kamikaze this metal storage container with a plane powered by the rugged, reliable OS25FX...and here we go!!! WHACK!!! Look!! It still turns over!! You just can't kill an OS!!

(No storage containers were harmed in the filming of this commercial)
[:D]
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I'm not familiar with Ed's metal storage container incident, though I can imagine it. If you want to protect future storage containers from impacts from Ed's planes, you could drape them with streamers, that seems to keep Ed's planes away really well! Personally, I also seem to find anything that has a streamer on it acts as an excellent repellant of my planes as well!
boiler

Post by boiler »

It was Cash's plane, not Ed's Scott.[:D]
RH

Post by RH »

He should have received some Carrier Landing points for that [;)]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

LSN 2006 2548: Cash had a launch failure and shut off the radio during the retrieval. He restarted and launched without checking his controls (naughty naughty[;)]) and the plane started across the line and then circled back across the pilot line. Cash builds nice flying planes, and his Zero, now called "Container Girl" made several complete circles before disappearing over the shelter, followed by a loud "Bang" coming from the vicinity of a brand new Suburban.

Fortunately for all involved, it missed the SUV and plowed into the interior of the storage container, causing minor damage to the Zero and minimal damage to the container. At LSN 2007, Cash found remnants of the spinner in the shed. The engine only had some fin damage, and still flies today. Doc also designs stout birds, given the minor damage to the plane after hitting the shed at 50+ mph.

During the next repaint of shed, the club has been asked paint a large roundel (target) on the shed to help Cash with his alignments. [:D]
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Yep, taht's the same plane that Lee stripped the wing off of in Febuary, the fuse lawndarted in from about 100 feet..it was also involved in multiple midairs at the LSN...(let's not talk about that, Okay?) and I THINK it was the plane I was flying when I cut Evil 10 inches off the deck (my 15 seconds of fame). It's beat all to h$##, but I think it will fly again. As for the engine, the container engine would fly, but one of the bolt heads was damaged so close to the crank that I have yet to free it, so it still needs to be reassembled..so, it WAS damaged in the aforementioned container incident, bu slightly, and it would be flying now if i would get off my rear and finish it.

I'm telling ya, OS engines are the Checkers of the 2-stroke world.
AIM

Post by AIM »

Anybody wanna buy or trade for a new in the box Norvel? I'll trade for a FX.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Having participated in two LimB contests so far this year I continue to be convinced that, other than the 25FX which appears to be the perfect LimB powerplant, if you are looking to do LimB on the cheap with second-hand engines, the OS 28F or 28FH is also perfectly suited for this event! We started out our Open B career with these engines, which are smooth, reliable, and about the same power as the 25FX. After blowing up several of them due to rear bearing failures, we moved away from them, but in hindsight I believe these failures were likely due to the bearings being marginal in the first place (ie used engines- possibly rusty, pitted, etc) as the rear bearing on the 28F is identical to that on the 25FX. In a lower-stress situation like LimB, our old used 28Fs appear bulletproof, just like the 25FX. And you can get decent, cheap, phenolic-retainer rear bearings for these engines from R/C bearings for just a few bucks (the 28F does have a different front bearing than the 25FX so a bearing SET has a different part number).

The 28F originally came with a non-adjustable muffler with the outlet pointing rearward. The 25FX muffler bolts on, if you prefer a rotating outlet, though it is slightly heavier. One nice thing about the old-style muffler is the thru-bolt never breaks!
boiler

Post by boiler »

After losing two mufflers at the NATS and two rear half mufflers at Hillside, I looked to order a few back-ups for next year. The FX mufflers cost $$$. I found the GMS muffler is a direct bolt on fit and the rear half can be purchased separately. It costs $. Only drawbacks that I've noticed so far are it weighs almost an ounce more and is not angled outward which makes scale installation more challenging.
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

You might try safty wire on the mufflers. That way if they fall off
they wouldn't be lost
tiger_musky

Post by tiger_musky »

I have a O.S. .25 FP that I bought back in 1999. The engine is new in the box and I was thinking about using it on a Limited B plane. Will this compete with the FX's or is just a precursor to the LA?