Secret Spy Pics

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Secret Spy Pics

Post by Ed Kettler »

Cash came over tonight so I could build him a replacement cowl for his Bearcat, and brought his latest 3696 bird.

Cash uses a built up construction using balsa reinforced with 2mm coro doublers (yellow) with foam for the curved sections. Wings by Scott Stockwell, set up for a single servo. Spars are 1/16th inch black fiberglass rods held in with foam safe CA. The plane is very light, and Cash will likely have to add ballast to make weight.

Guess the plane (if you already know, give the others a chance!)

[:D][:D]
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

What you see in the pics weighs 9.5 ounces. In comparison, the wing alone for the Bearcat, if you sstripped out the servo and covering, would weigh about 7 ounces, maybe a bit more...

BTW, Guess away, because I AINT SAYIN'!!!

AhhhhHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!![:p]
wrnstockwel

Post by wrnstockwel »

OOOOH I KNOW! PICK ME! PICK ME! OOH! OOH! OOH!
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Is that some strange addition to a Pizza Box Flier? I see the box but don't understand the blue stuff on top.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Very interesting construction. We await the crash test reports on durability.[;)]
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Lessee...
1.Scott-be nice
2.Drewjet-c'mon, man...
3.Bob-<b><i><u><font size="2"><font color="navy">CENSORED</font id="navy"></font id="size2"></u></i></b>[:p]

As fars as durability goes, I think she'll hold up. The wing is built like the Brewster's, and the rest of the plane is built like ol Cottontail, albeit on a smaller scale. Cottontail survied all the original 2548 testing, 3-5 hard trips intothe ground, 3 midairs and about 30 rounds of combat and probably 75-100 sport flights, and is still in relatively one piece. Since we're flying with less mass, rpm and airspeed than either SSC or 2548, all of the planes built should hold up admirably...

Cash

PS..I still ain't saying..
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Cash, I have a cowl and a canopy for one of these. If you want them, I`ll make you a deal....$50, just for you, and I`ll pay the shipping.[:D]
THend

Post by THend »

Pizza Hut is on to something... and I thought they were crazy for delivering pizzas! [:p]

1 Large pizza with a WWII warbird topping...$12.99 without coupon of course.

thank you very much![:p][:D]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Oh, as far as durability goes, don`t worry, Cash will check the durability as soon as he gets another shot at that Beaufighter. LOL
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

He won't get a shot at the Beaufighter this weekend, as it is down with a fried ESC for one of the motors. It was acting a bit strange, ran 1200 rpm less than the other motor, and tonight I swapped motors to determine if it was the motor or ESC, and this little plume of white smoke started out of the cowl. Peeled off the shrink wrap, and sure enough there were some fried electronic parts.

Cash doesn't expect to have it done for the gas/electric fun fly at Richardson this weekend, but promises it will be ready for the May combat event.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

I MIGHT have it done for the May event...it depends if we have enough pilots that commit to 2548, as both of my Zeros are still fubared. I willl have time to finish this bird and get my SSC fleet ready, or fix the Zeros and get my SSC fleet ready, but not both...
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I`ll be ready for 2548. I vote for that. You have plenty of other 3696.
tiger_musky

Post by tiger_musky »

Cash,

Yes, there is life again with 3696. I was beginning to worry it had it's short-run and now has disappeared like the SSC warbirds and the first round of e-combat planes several years ago. The balsa box construction in combination with foam is an awesome idea. Wish I thought of this one. Keep us posted on the build along. Great Job!!!

Nate
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

No Nate, it's still going...what happens is the combat season has started, and a lot of the guys that are building 3696 prototypes have budgeted their time towards getting the NPS points class planes ready, and they are busy with that. If I try to fix my 2548 birds for next month's contest, then the next update on this new bird will be in the middle of next month. Trust me, Lee has no idea what a profound effect 3696 is having on me, as I find the planes easy to build and store, rugged, and a lot of fun to fly...I have about 5 more designs floating around in my head as we speak...[:p]
jj

Post by jj »

quite a few 3696 getting started here in CO.
the really cool thing is that people who are not part of the regular combat crowd are building 3696 kits. That helps both this class and combat in general.

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”