Applying RSN

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

adamdb

Applying RSN

Post by adamdb »

Has anyone tried applying rip stop nylon over foam using some kind of spray adhesive? This is for an electric plane so it doesn't need to be fuelproof. Any recommendations for a suitable foam safe spray adhesive? I was thinking of cutting out the panels of RSN to the correct size, spraying the back with the adhesive and applying.

I can use WBP, but thought this might be a little lighter and easier to handle.

Thanks
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I haven't tried it, but the 3m77 is a good adhesive (remember to spray at least 10 inches away from foam), I don't see why it shouldn't work, maybe you can spray the foam and the bottom of the RSN (both), I would try it on a scrap of foam first though. I have tried the WBP and giftwrap paper, its a pain on the but to get the wrinkles without ripping the paper.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Just before I stopped using ripstop nylon, I used Duco spray. Got a nice coat on the foam and applied the ripstop dry over that. Covered the bottom first, then the top. I had just enough time to rub the wrinkles out of the ripstop before the spray set up. It turned out better looking that the WPU which was a much bigger pain. I would try it out on a piece of scrap to get a feel for it before putting on the wing.
adamdb

Post by adamdb »

Anyone ever use Elmer's Craft Bond spray adhesive? Seems to be foam-safe as I sprayed a big blotch onto some white foam from 3 or 4 inches away and it didn't melt it.

I will be doing some further tests using the Elmer's and rip stop later and will report back with the results.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

The Aces guys in Europe use brown kraft or butcher paper over blue foam, using diluted pva glue (elmers) for an adhesive..they say it's strong and light..
adamdb

Post by adamdb »

Initial results:

Seems to work great! I applied 2 pieces of RSN to a piece of white foam. One I sprayed only the RSN before applying it, the other both the foam and RSN. If anything, the one where I applied it to both was too sticky. The RSN wanted to stick right now when they touched and it was a little more difficult to work the wrinkles out. Both seem to be stuck very well, but I will wait overnight for the glue to cure before tugging on it too much. The downside is that there is not much working time with it. The glue seems to set up pretty quickly as Bob reported earlier.

A rough guess at the weight is that the Elmer's spray glue and RSN will add 6-8gr. per square foot. My scale is only accurate to about 2 grams and my test piece was fairly small so there is some margin for error. A previous test with WBPU and RSN yielded a result of twice the weight gain as this method.

So, this seems to be an easy way to apply a colorful, light covering to foam airplanes.

Adam
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

The covering method using Icarex was to spray both the plane, and the Icarex, with 77, let it dry, then iron it on. This works OK. When dry the glue has lost most of its tack, will still stay where it's "stuck" but can be repositioned easily if needed. I would think the same method would work for RSN. One thing I did not like about that covering method was it seemed to require a pretty heavy coat of glue.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Scott, how good does the icarex and 77 hold in the areas were you get fuel? Like adamdb I also want to try the RSN with spay adhesive on a Mako.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

over the top of the Icarex/77 combo we applied a couple of coats of WBP for added fuel-proofing. Overall I disliked the Icarex/iron-on3M77 system as I felt the adhesion was not good, it took a lot of glue (weight and cost, like one large can per plane!) and it was very labor-intensive. But on the planes we covered (PredatorX) you needed two layers which added to the burden. With one layer, and not having to worry about fuel, it might not be so bad. We had done RSN and WBP so many times that we found it pretty easy, if a bit messy. Biggest disadvantage is the way it lifts in wet weather. Otherwise, still a pretty good system!