Digital Photography

Discussion on usage, viruses, problems, tips and tricks.

Moderator: hbartel

RH

Digital Photography

Post by RH »

I am seeing some dynamite action shots in the event reports these days. I'd like to get a good DSLR and would like to know what is working for you guys.

Ed, I think you are shootin a Nikon?

Alex? Roy?
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Randy,

I am using a Canon Rebel XT (350D) body. It has been replaced by the Rebel XTi (400D) but they are basically the same camera, with upgrades (screen, etc).

http://www.rccombat.com/forum/topic.asp ... hichpage=2

I am using a sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 lens ($200). If memory serves me correctly, I am not always zoomed in all the way (the lens is softer at 300mm anyway), so as to try to get more planes in the frame, so then most of the pictures in that debrief were cropped some.

One thing to remember when lens shopping is that a sub-$2500 DSLR will have a sensor that is a little smaller than a 35mm negative, although 10x bigger than a point-and-shoots. That means they give an effective 1.6x focal length multiplier. IE on my Rebel XT, the 70-300 zooms as a 112-480 lens would on a full-frame. It helps with combat!

The big thing with an SLR is that there is no shutter lag (other than your own reflexes) so as soon as you see a good shot in the frame, you can take it. Also SLRs are capable of at least 3 frames a second, which is good to catch a streamer cut or mid-air.

I am saving up to get a Canon 70-200 f2.8 lens one day, but won't be taking that one to messy, oily combat meets! The sigma (or Canon's almost-identical) lens are good enough for a combat meet.

It'll still take some practice. I've had my dSLR at about 4 or 5 combat meets and I use it at our field to track the planes. After a while you will get the hang of it, and be amazed how it compares (or really doesn't, actually) to a point and shoot.

Make sure you get the "kit" lens or some other wide lens to go with the body though. Once you use the SLR you will want to use it for all your other no-combat pictures too![:D]

Oh yeah, I don't know how much money you want to spend, but the "30D" is the body one level above mine. It has a few enhancements like 5 frames/sec, etc. but is also several $$hundred more. But if it was me, I would buy the Rebel XTi and use the leftover money for a lens(es).

The place to go for top-quality reviews about everything from ergonomics to picture quality is http://www.dpreview.com/

Hopefully that was a little help anyway!
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Some dSLR shots from our fly-in last satur day (mostly cropped pretty heavily):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 651&ref=mf

Click on photos to enlarge them.
RH

Post by RH »

Appreciate the info Alex, thanks.

I don't think they issue Facebook logins for us in the OGC......
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RH</i>
<br />Appreciate the info Alex, thanks.

I don't think they issue Facebook logins for us in the OGC......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Sorry, here is the "public link", which is what I thought I was posting above!
http://mtsu.facebook.com/album.php?aid= ... d=38422651
(this link should let you view the photo album, just not go anywhere else on facebook)

It's not combat, but they are planes!! [:D]

I also have a Sony DSC-H1 with 12x zoom (brand new models are the H-7 and H-9) and used it for combat and planes before i had the dSLR. It is OK, but no where near the capabilities of the SLR.

Kirk and his wife Melissa have provided some wonderful combat photos with their Sony H-5 (same camera basically), showing that it is possible, but I think you will be much happier with the SLR.

Looking forward to seeing your shots!
RH

Post by RH »

Nice pics. Great timing on the crash!!
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Randy, I use a Nikon D70 with two lens, a 28mm-80mm and a 70mm-300m. I got it a couple of years ago and so there are several models that have come out since. Ed's camera is a Nikon and is one of the newer models. You can't go wrong with either Nikon's D series digital SLRs or Canon's Rebel Series. If you happened to have had a Canon Rebel 35mm film camera then I would suggest that you go with the Canon Rebel digital SLR because all the lens you have for the Rebel 35mm will fit on the digital Rebel. None of my 35mm cameras where Nikon or Canon so I was open to chose between Canon and Nikon based my own preference for "fit, feel and function". I would suggest that you physically handle all the models that you can in addition to reading professional reviews like the web site Alex suggested http://www.dpreview.com/ My D70 is bigger then the Nikon D50 that came out shortly after the D70 and when I compared it with the D70 the D50 was just too small in my hand to be comfortable. I've been very happy with my Nikon but I'm sure that the Canon is good also. I personally am not confortable with any of the other camera manufacturer's digital SLRs, I'd be afraid of being stuck with a non standard orphan if that company's sales weren't good and they decided to drop that camera line. That's not going to happen with Nikon and Canon. Just take your time, read the professional reviews, read the consumer reviews, sit on it for a while and digest everything that you've read, handle them and after a while you'll come to a decision. I was unable to make a decision for a while and then it all just came together and I was comfortable making the purchase. I think it was easier for Ed, his wife made the decision for him since it was a gift.[:D]
RH

Post by RH »

Darn, no Canon lenses. Shot an Olympus OM-1 for years, still do on occasion, will those lenses fit any of the current DSLR bodies?
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RH</i>
<br />Darn, no Canon lenses. Shot an Olympus OM-1 for years, still do on occasion, will those lenses fit any of the current DSLR bodies?

Randy,

Almost all SLR manufacturers produce their lower end (~sub-$2500) SRLs with "APS-C" sized sensors (about 16x24mm) instead of full-frame (24x36mm) sensors, which are the same size as a 35mm negative.

Because of this, you get a 1.6x "crop factor" and an image taken with a 100mm lens on this SLR will give you the same zoom as an image taken at 160mm on a 35mm camera.

Olympus is the odd-ball. They went with a slightly smaller sensor, giving a 2x crop factor on their digital "E" series SRLs. This could help with combat, allowing you to get extra zoom with smaller lenses, but it also uses a new lens mount. None of the Olympus 35mm lenses will fit. There is a whole new line of lenses for the "Zuiko" mount, and Sigma makes some lenses for the new mount.

Although it's worth looking into all the manufacturers, as Roy stated I would put extra weight on more prevalent companies for number of available lenses, etc, etc.

Another one to look at is Sony/Sigma SLRs. They use the 1.6x APS-C sensor, but the camera bodies are equipped with Image Stabilization (only available in lenses, for the Canon/Nikon systems). Full Frame bodies can't be made with Image Stabilization, and it won't help with combat since you will have 1/1000 and faster shutter speed anyway, but it can help with relatively slow subjects in dim environments.

The best thing to do is to read the reviews on dpreview.com. Also if you are near a big city, look up a store to go in and handle some of the bodies.

I wanted my canon for about a year and a half before I got it, and I used a sony H-1 in the meantime, and did tons of research on the canon. You've just gotta read to <u>see what you like.</u>
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

<br />Darn, no Canon lenses. Shot an Olympus OM-1 for years, still do on occasion, will those lenses fit any of the current DSLR bodies?

Randy, I feel your pain, I've got two Olympus OM-10 bodies with an assortment of lens, motor winders, flashes, etc., and a Minolta Maxxum 9000 with a beautiful 28-135mm Macro len, motor winder, external flash unit, etc., and they're all just setting on the shelf waiting to be thrown in the trash! [:(]
RH

Post by RH »

Thanks Alex. Just starting to scratch the surface on this topic. I have a lot of reading to do before I make this investment. I'll probably throw out some more newb questions before I'm done...
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Which_way_is_up</i>
Randy, I feel your pain, I've got two Olympus OM-10 bodies with an assortment of lens, motor winders, flashes, etc., and a Minolta Maxxum 9000 with a beautiful 28-135mm Macro len, motor winder, external flash unit, etc., and they're all just setting on the shelf waiting to be thrown in the trash! [:(]
It's a shame they aren't still compatible. Of course I was starting from the ground up. Now I've got the body, a few lenses, battery grip. Now I want some more lenses, a nice flash.... You can spend more money in photography than R/C planes!

And Randy, throw out as many questions as you have! Asking is how you learn! [:p]
Hooter

Post by Hooter »

Alex....Boy those were some really good pictures of the flyin!!!!
jj

Post by jj »

I'm looking for a comera that could use old Pentax format lenses.

The good thing about the cropped, smaller frame is that most lenses are great in the center but have problems at the edges. Having a smaller image means a relatively cheapo lens acts like a great one since you don't get as much pillowing or edge abberations on colr etc.
RH

Post by RH »

Off on a road trip this weekend. Stopped at my parent's cabin and had Dad drag out his Nikon stuff. He's got some nice lenses he offered to share so that narrows the research down toward Nikon.

Return to “Computer related issues - user supported”