E Survivable Combat

Here's the place to talk about "Light" electric combat limited to Open designs with brushed motors.

Moderator: hbartel

jj

E Survivable Combat

Post by jj »

You just gotta see this.

I saw one fly and it is incredible and fun.

This is what people wanted in terms of "survivable" combat planes

http://www.edgerc.com/PCWcrashsm.wmv
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

EPP is the way to go....really think we ought to learn to cut that foam for ALL combat planes.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Tuff Flight has a similar electric called the Stingray. I got one at Toledo but haven't had time to stick it together. It uses a himax ducted fan and the kit comes with the motor and speed control.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I'm surprised that nobody has made an all epp wing for what we used'm for (at least I Haven't heard of anybody), its a heavy foam, I think a Falcon will be a good airframe for that type of foam, I tried cutting a piece I had that came with a stereo I bought , I cut it with my cnc and it cuts difrent than the other stuff we use, it seems to glue it self again.
jj

Post by jj »

All,

The B2 and B2+ Avengers use EPP Leading edges to help minimize wing damage. However, EPP flexes a Lot and would not be suitable for a full Open B wing. It is great for smaller planes or foamie slope combat where the G loading is not great. This little PCW is so light and small that EPP is plenty strong for it.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jj</i>
<br />

EPP flexes a Lot and would not be suitable for a full Open B wing. It is great for smaller planes or foamie slope combat where the G loading is not great.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You have a point there jj[:D]
Don Pruitt

Post by Don Pruitt »

Been there, done that! About 4 or 5 years ago Lou Melancon got a block of EPP foam from Ron Caravona up in Louisville. I think that he built some wings with it but I never did see them fly. Some time later I was over at Lou’s house and he still had a stack of EPP cores in the corner of his garage. He asked me if I wanted it and I jumped at the chance. I built a couple of wings using 1/8â€
jj

Post by jj »

Don, thanks for the filed test data. As I said, we have used EPP Leading edges on the B2 Avenger series but only for the Leading Edge. In fact, the B2 can now be ordered with an even stiffer 40 pound main core for a more rigid wing structure.

The EPP is great for slope and smaller planes that either fly slower ro won't stress the wing much. Even the slope glider combat planes use a LOT of BiDi tape and several carbon fiber spars to keep from flexing too much.

These little PCWs have less than a two foot wingspan and weigh less than a pound. They are a hoot though and due to the light weight and EPP construction they are about as indestructable as you could possibl expect.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

One of the other thing that gives that plane such durability is the rear mounted motor. That big prop swinging thing in the front is what is causing the major damage.
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

I have an old slope combat model that is all EPP that I converted to SSC glow a few years back..it was an Messerschmitt P1111, and I forgot who produced it. It had a problem with left turns, but I realised that it was an error in my mixing that caused the problem, not the foam. This thing had either 3/8 or 1/2 inch square hard balsa or basswood spars top and bottom, and would just haul a@@ in a dive. Might be the ticket for an EPP wing for glow, big beefy wood spars, I think that would help with torsion in the wing, along with bidi.

Don, what airfoil and root/tip are those old EPP cores, and would you be willing to sell them?

Cash
Don Pruitt

Post by Don Pruitt »

Cash,

I think that they are E203 cores. They were intended to be used on the Open B Bandit. I believe that the root and tip are the same airfoil.

I am going to be running a special on them for this week only. They are free if you pay the shipping and handling. Even better than that, I will bring them to the Tim and Alex’s Mid America SSC Contest in Jackson TN on the 23 of June. Maybe Lee or Bob will be able to bring them back to TX for you.

I just went down in the basement and checked exactly how many I had and there are 5 sets of cores. I will even throw in a set of blue foam Bandito cores to round out the deal.
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jj</i>
<br />The EPP is great for slope and smaller planes that either fly slower ro won't stress the wing much. Even the slope glider combat planes use a LOT of BiDi tape and several carbon fiber spars to keep from flexing too much.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><font size="2">JJ,

The EPP does not preclude full wing use for Open-B, with the proper the build method. TufFlight (http://www.tufflight.com) builds all-EPP combat planes up to 72" wingspan for Open-B, SSC, and sport combat with .40-size engines. They use a full-length lexan spar for rigidity.

It might be the weight or the increased airfoil thickness (for strength, I assume) that has limited the popularity of these models. They're well-mannered planes - I was just flying my Panther with a 25LA on it this afternoon. I never liked the performance with a 15LA for SSC, but it's better with the .25, and I may try a .25FX for limited-B.</font id="size2">
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

Don, I'll take you up on that deal...if you want to ship them, I'll pay the shipping, or if I can get Bob or Lee to bring them down that will work too. Whatever works better for you, I really appreciate it either way. Thanks!!

Now I gotta put my money where my mouth is and make em' fly...[:D]

Cash
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

And, once again, the lights come on in the Von Hargett secret aircraft design works.....[:D]
slam

Post by slam »

getting back to the video.

the old florida crew (back before billy defected) we flew very similar planes, they were regular blue foam, but were so light they were VERY tough.

we never pulled streamers, we just tried to hit each other, they were fun, but because they were so small, the midairs were hard to come by.

any of these small electric wings would be very tough combat planes. everyone would have to fly the same plane and same motor combo for it to be fun though. some of these planes can go upwards of 100mph.

that was a graphic demonstration of their durability to crashes. very impressive.

slam

Return to “"Light" Electric Combat”