Scale Paint Source

If it flew combat between 1935 and 1955, here's the place to talk about it!
Also a great place to talk about Competition!

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Scale Paint Source

Post by Ed Kettler »

I was surfing through the Wattflyer web site, and found this reference for water based polyurethane paints for most of the the WW2 aircraft:

- Japanese AF and Navy
- USAAF, USN, USMC
- Luftwaffe
- Italian
- French
- British Commonwealth
- Russian
- Hungarian

http://www.warbirdcolors.com/

Anybody have any experience with these paints? With an additive, they are fuel proof up to 15% nitro.
THend

Post by THend »

Believe it or not, I took a piece of Olive Drab coro to Home Depot and they matched it perfectly! You could not see a difference between the paint and the coro on my P40.

Which is now deceased. BTW..[:p]
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

What paint brand, type of paint did you match it to? How did you apply it? I have a lot of color chips from my early teens when I was building plastic models, and could do the same, but haven't figured out what to ask HD to use for the paint.

I am trying Tamiya spray colors on my latest 3696. I spreayed the plane with their gray primer, and will then color coat it. I am interested in seeeing how well plastic model paints work on electric combat lanes.
THend

Post by THend »

I think it was exterior water based paint...nothing special. I tried to find the can last night, and can't seem to find it! Dang!
jpmorere

Post by jpmorere »

Yep.. Interior latex paint. Exterior works too, but I think that the interior actually works better in our application. The store can match darn near any color of which you can supply a sample. No particular brand - the cheapest is just fine. Thin with water or better yet spray cleaner. Spray or brush on. Let it cure for a week - two is better. I suspect that elevated temperatures will accelerate the curing process, so leave the plane in the garage, car, greenhouse, wherever is the warmest place that you have access to.

It is OK after a couple of days, but the longer the cure, the better the fuel proof and the less likely to rub any off when you clean the plane. The first time or two that you clean the plane you will notice some color coming off on your rag. Don't worry - you won't take off enough to make any difference, and the effect stops after a couple of weeks/cleanings.

J.P.
montague

Post by montague »

I'm usually in a hurry, so I airbrush the laytex paint on, then clear coat with lusterkote flat clear. Works pretty well, but if I miss a spot with the clear coat it comes up pretty quickly. Of course, I'm usually flying the plane within a couple of days of painting. I agree that laytex needs a LONG time to cure fully, so I try to get done early and let the planes sit, but it usually doesn't work out that way.