2008 NATS

This is the big one ladies and gents, the AMA Nats

Moderator: hbartel

ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Hey -- best of luck to the troop from Wisconsin. By my count of registered pilots, the 7 from WI are the most from any state.

None of them are as pretty as this Cheesehead:

nor as saintly as this one:

...but you'll recognize this when they're chasing your streamer!

Good luck, boys!
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

At the Nats planning meeting what will be flown at next years Nats will have to be decided. I don't believe we can fly 5 classes with out perfect weather if turnout is normal. Turnout was down a little this year and we missed 5 rds of 2548 because of weather delays. SSC will be rule book next year so I would say we drop 2610, only had 8 pilots and 3 of them say they won't be flying it any more after the rule changes take effect. Open B & limited B were well attended along with SSC, and 2548 was OK. Day 1& 2-- SSC-5rds/Open b 5 rds. day 3--2548 5rd/ limited B 5rds,/pizza party late, day 4 limited B 5 rds/ 2548 5rds.-----------rick
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Vapor52</i>
<br />At the Nats planning meeting what will be flown at next years Nats will have to be decided. I don't believe we can fly 5 classes with out perfect weather if turnout is normal. Turnout was down a little this year and we missed 5 rds of 2548 because of weather delays. SSC will be rule book next year so I would say we drop 2610, only had 8 pilots and 3 of them say they won't be flying it any more after the rule changes take effect. Open B & limited B were well attended along with SSC, and 2548 was OK. Day 1& 2-- SSC-5rds/Open b 5 rds. day 3--2548 5rd/ limited B 5rds,/pizza party late, day 4 limited B 5 rds/ 2548 5rds.-----------rick
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Rick, Traditionally SSC and Limited B have been held on the same day. This allows guys to fly both events and only require 2 days. The two classes are targeted at the same audience, so much so that Limited B rules specifically allow SSC planes. On the other hand, Open B and SSC are not on opposite ends of the spectrum. This would force guys who can't attend all 4 days to choose between two classes, and so lower participation.
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

You have to consider the logistics in how you will get all the heats flown, this balances out the load. Also allows time to convert SSC to Limited B-----rick
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

With the new ruleschanges that passed the last rules cycle 2610 is basically 2548. ? which to drop??
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Vapor52</i>
<br />You have to consider the logistics in how you will get all the heats flown, this balances out the load. Also allows time to convert SSC to Limited B-----rick
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Rick, only downside is that guys can't fly both unless they can spend 4 days in Muncie. I wasn't able to attend in 2008 but think you did a great job running SSC and Limited B on the same day in 2007.
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

Thats why I am asking, I don't fly any scale so I need you to tell me which goes. 3 have already said they are not going to fly any more 2610, that is what I based my comment on. Alex, the schedule simply has to accommodate the classes in such a way that we can get all the heats flown. If we have a decent turn out then flying the 2 biggest classes in the same day won,t be possible.--------rick
mark s

Post by mark s »

Rick,

I like your plan, and think we should precede with it! No matter how you slice it, someone is not going to be happy. With SSC becoming a rule book event, it's important that we get the rule book classes flown before trying to fly the provisional classes.

Roid
lightning

Post by lightning »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hat Trick</i>
<br />With the new ruleschanges that passed the last rules cycle 2610 is basically 2548. ? which to drop??
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Mike, Interesting quirk is that my A17A/Nomads are now legal in both classes, but can only fly their present (trainer) colors in 2548.
From a personal perspective I'd rather see the level(ler) playing field of 2548 vs. the horsepower race of 2610.
There were more 2548 pilots than 2610 at the NATS and there would've been one more if I could have flown my A17As.
So my vote goes with 2548 for 2009.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Keith, Ed Kettler says the rules change in 2548 for your planes are null and void. You might be better using that Rustoleum silver paint and flying 2610 instead of 2548.
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

What you say Bob? Keith, you are 1 of the 3 I was referring to! You told me no more 2610---------rick
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

2548 had more participants than 2610. the rules changes invalidate the 2610s in target tug colors, so keith's fleet and some of mine are NFG, and I'm not sure but I think Don V's are questionable. Unless he rebuilds that P82. Plus it costs $50 to fly 2610 and $15 to fly 2548. Something's gotta give, as much as we'll miss 2610 (and I DON'T want to see it go), if you're gonna jeetison something, I can't see how it could be anything BUT 2610.

One of these days somebody will explain to me how the recent rules changes will improve 2610 participation....seems more like another nail in the coffin.

Folks can still fly 2610 elsewhere, but the schedule is awfully full at NATS. I'm sure the move to make SSC rulebook will also increase participation, now that folks get to spend $50 to fly it at nats...so we'll have more entrants to juggle, and maybe more heats?? II certainly hope so.
lightning

Post by lightning »

<br />What you say Bob? Keith, you are 1 of the 3 I was referring to! You told me no more 2610---------rick
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Rick, four posts up - My vote is 2548 in 2009. With SSC we still have two "Rule-book" classes.
IF the recently "sort of approved" 2548 rule proposals really are not valid, then it becomes a moot point as I will not be flying scale - period!

Note for Ed K. - is that REALLY the way you want things to be?
Viat

Post by Viat »

My vote for 2009 goes with 2548!
and I also vote for splitting it into TWO days! That way it possible if necessary, to repair over night and if weather like this year to be able to fly all 10 rounds.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

I agree with Viat, if possible, it would be nice to have any class divided over two days. Having to fly 10 heats in one day does not give much time for repairs, if needed! I know that we're working around other constraints, but if 2610 goes away and 2548 can be split over two days, that would be nice.

Return to “AMA RC Combat Nationals”