2008 NATS

This is the big one ladies and gents, the AMA Nats

Moderator: hbartel

sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

oops, that was me, didn't notice I was logged on as my dork kid
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alex Treneff</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Vapor52</i>
<br />You have to consider the logistics in how you will get all the heats flown, this balances out the load. Also allows time to convert SSC to Limited B-----rick
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Rick, only downside is that guys can't fly both unless they can spend 4 days in Muncie. I wasn't able to attend in 2008 but think you did a great job running SSC and Limited B on the same day in 2007.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

As long as we are cherry picking days and personal schedules, I vote we hold ssc and Scale together on 2 days and limited and open on the next 2 so I dont have to stay all 4 days just to fly B... of course Corey is going to want ssc and open on the same 2 days so he does not have to stay all 4 days... then there is ...

I personally don't enjoy showing up for 5 rounds of open then having to spend the rest of my day judging 10 rounds of a class I don't even fly. I've done it every year to support the guys flying, but the point is why should the same group be burdened with it each year. Mix it in with ssc and you will have a large pilot pool to judge and still leave plenty of openings for those who need time to repair damaged planes without shorting the scale guys of judges.

In the end I will be there all 4 days, its a priority for me. My point is that your repeated requests seems rather self serving, everybody has a preferance, most are willing to endure a little personal sacrifice for the sake of the group.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

If you try to set this up to make it convenient for people's individual schedule preferences you're probably doomed. Scheduling classes based on logic might be a better alternative. For instance, I think standard practice has been to get the AMA classes in first. That leaves SSC and Open (assuming we're dropping 2610) for the first two days. By process of elimination we are left with Limited and 2548 the last two days. Also, as supporting logic, I submit that many (not Eric and Brian, though) fly the same planes for Open and limited, with just a prop/muffler change. So flying Open and Limited on the same days, 20 heats combined over two days, means you better be bringing a lot of planes RTF, or be prepared to make some rapid field repairs! Spreading out B and LimB gives pilots a chance to make repairs in the evening, make frankenplanes out of remaining parts and get them test flown, etc.

On the flip side, the adjustment switching from Open B to SSC could be interesting for the pilots, in terms of adjusting their flying styles! Pilots will just have to "man up!!!"
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

I'm looking mostly at the volume of heats! We just won't be able to fly the heavy heat classes on the same day and get them all complete.Just need to spread out the most popular classes (open b & SSC).---------rick
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

PS--while Limited B only topped Open B by 3 pilots this year920 to 17 ), I see that spread getting increasingly wider---------rick
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Rick, just remember spreading them out too much might mean they won't be the most popular. By moving LimB and SSC to seperate days you lose all the participants for at least one event who can't be there 4 days.
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

Alex, you are the one and only one who has said that, I would need several serious voices to take that stance seriously. I think only 2-3 pilots came in for the last 2 days only this year and my guess is that if they had to they would have been there all 4. If I hear more voices I will listen, but only to those who compete at the Nats, not by-standers. I'm trying to make the Nats the best over-all experience for all who attend. If you noticed Bob & I even lowered entry fees for the '08 Nats and plan to leave them alone for '09----------rick
AIM

Post by AIM »

I'm just guessing here but I'll bet Rick knows how to schedule it. Call me silly but I for one will sit back and learn from Rick versus trying to tell him how to do it.

Of course Rick, if ya want my opinion. Let's fly LimB with forestry tape with 6 or 7 rounds a day for all four days and say to hell with the rest of the classes.[:D][:D]
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

Aaron, it's under consideration-----rick
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaron's suggestion rocks! Four days of LimB, why not?
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

I'm game if you put Brian and Eric on seperate frequencies. It would be fun !!
AIM

Post by AIM »

The best part of being there all 4 days is that you get the opportunity to see Scott G's tri colored legs and skinny little butt riding Roids little scooter. What a sight that was!
don veres

Post by don veres »

Rick;

You do a great job at the Nats and whatever you have us do is fine with me, but 4-days of limited-B would be hell on earth to me as I damage alot of equipment in that particular class.[B)]

I would like to thank you for one of the best Nats to date and they keep getting better every year![:D]
dirko

Post by dirko »

I think it is important to get the rule book events in first, also.

If SSC was the last of these it would be easier for me, but I'm OK with any thing you might decide.

Rick, you ran another great event. See you next year.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Just got back at 4:40 am this morning from a week wilderness camping. Got a lot of reading to catch up on. Great job as always Rick. You're very much appreciated.

Return to “AMA RC Combat Nationals”