Good Combo for E-Open B

Want to discuss OPEN electric combat items? Come on in! This is the place.

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Good Combo for E-Open B

Post by Lee Liddle »

Buy this $35 motor. The one on top the 36-50-1500 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXLWZ5&P=7

this $35 ESC http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A0 ... d=B1818513

and two of these $55 batteries or any good 2200mah 5s batteries and run them in parallel

http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBB ... oduct=4475

And make sure that your airframe doesn`t weigh more than about 30oz without these items.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I also recommend using this $5 heatsink on the motor.

ACC3939 36mm Motor Heat Sink
$4.99
• Fits Himax HA3618, HB3615 & HB3630 series motors & any 36mm OD motor
• Anodized blue
• Just clamp on!
•Length 38.5mm, OD 48mm

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29b.html#rtr

Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

One detail is that I add a second set of input leads to the ESC. One set goes to each battery. This has worked well for me this year.

It`s a simple clean way to run the batteries in parallel. It also reduces the amount of amps going through the bullet connectors. If you run a "y" cord, the plug leading to the ESC will be dealing with about 50a. This way each side just carries 25a.

Here`s the whole layout.

Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

So far this year the batteries have proven to be too small of a target for anyone to hit. When they do get hit, I`ll be buying more batteries, but that`s combat, right?
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Lee Liddle wrote:Here`s the whole layout.

Lee,

Do you have enough planes and batteries that you leave the batteries in the plane to charge them between heats and rotate between several planes? It looks like clear tape holding the batteries in?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I use clear tape for test flights. I use two layers of strapping tape for contest heats.

I like to have half as many batteries as heats that will be flown in a day. 3 sets for 6 heats ect.

I stay with a plane unless it gets damaged or isn`t flying well just like I would with IC power.

I switch batteries between heats and charge out of the plane.

It takes about 45min to recharge a battery after a heat. So if the contest is going to be run at a very fast pace, it might take an extra set. Usually a lunch break is enough to get everything topped off.

You do need enough charging ability to charge two sets of batteries at one time.
THend

Post by THend »

Lee, thanks a bunch for the info. I've been researching it a bit, and plan on making some purchases shortly.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Can`t wait to see a West Coast E-Mako. But, be careful, once you push that stick forward for the first time, you`ll probably be hooked.

PS......don`t plan on flying it at the local park, the prop noise is insane, but that`s part of the addiction
THend

Post by THend »

OH, by the way...what prop would I be running on this?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I`ve used both the MA 8-4 and the APC 8-4. They both pull about the same amps. I can`t tell the any difference in performance. The APC is probably the better choice since the RPM is near 21k.
THend

Post by THend »

Another question, I have dealt with Tower Hobbies in the past and it was OK, I have purchased from BP too with no issues.

Have you or anyone else done business with United Hobbies? They appear to be an overseas company, so I am concerned with legitamate dealings and shipping costs. Mostly, have you had good service from them?

I have Dymond Model Sport hobby shop down town, and the actual owner runs the place. They are big into electrics, and very helpful, so I might try to find comparable equipment in their store.

I am on 6 days, 12.5 hours per day thru Jan. 5th or so. I won't be doing any building until after the new year most likely. Dymond is closed on Sundays as the owner goes out and flies with everyone.

I am cool with the online purchases, just curious about United Hobby.

If they are cool, I may just buy online and get it delivered..
RH

Post by RH »

Terry, I know of several guys who have used UH recently and they are satisfied with them.

Happy building,

r
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I`ve had 14 orders from them with no issues. Some of their batteries in early 2007 had problems, but they seem to have corrected the problems. Shipping adds about 10% to the costs, but isn`t much more that we pay in sales tax when buying locally. Delivery takes about a week as long as the items are shown as in stock.
THend

Post by THend »

Thanks a bunch, put the order in with the boss....wonder what I'll be getting for Xmas [:D]
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

Make sure you only order what show as positive stock. I have heard of a few bad stories when ordering out of stock items. I personally have ordered 2 times from them, with no problems. Also fellow fliers have ordered and no probs when ordering in stock items.