Spectrum RX issue

Here's the place to chat about radios, transmitter, receivers, batteries, and everything related to your radio gear.

Moderator: hbartel

Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

I have experienced a different type of 'brown out' with my Spektrum using 270mAh Nicad batteries. However, with the Nicads, the servo simple would deflect with control input and then return to neutral ( failsafe ). Evidently there was still enough juice in the battery to allow some control. I landed ( ugly but without damage ) and my battery did indeed test low for my normal flying parameters. With NiMh batteries, I will certainly check and recharge often to be safe. If find I get 3 rounds on my 270 mAh Nicads, but expect 2 to be the safe limit if using the equivalent NiMh. Just my $.02.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

270mah definetly does not have enough head room to keep spektrum from browning out into failsafe. The 650 to 700mah nimh's are not much heavier and I have not had any brown outs since. I do recharge after about 4 rounds as a precaution
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

I just wanted confirmation that 2.4 systems are allowed in these combat events. The AMA pamphlets in 2008 had a small thing that 2.Spread Spectrum systems were to only be used with things considered as park fliers. I understand in the beginning that they didn't have the range, but now.... I know most of the helicopters at IRCHA were 2.4. So, if you can afford it and want to risk you high dollar receivers, you can use Spread Spectrum radios????
lightning

Post by lightning »

Yes, 2.4s are now perfectly legal as long as they are a <b>FULL RANGE</b> radio, not the original park flyer units.
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lightning</i>
<br />Yes, 2.4s are now perfectly legal as long as they are a <b>FULL RANGE</b> radio, not the original park flyer units.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Good to know for sure. Thank you very much.