Jett .30 or Fora .29?

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

Pathous

Post by Pathous »

Check out the glow drivers on this page. They are modified to light the nelson and glowbee plugs used in FAI racing. He also has clips there. http://www.darrolcady.com/Accessories/accessories.htm I have the mark one version and it works very well. The platinum pro works but not as well.
mark s

Post by mark s »

The glow clip can be found at Hobby People for 5.49 w/o the RCA connector. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/237448.asp Most glow panels using this glow clip will light a nelson plug.

Roid
boiler

Post by boiler »

Radio South has had the unit that looks like the platinum unit at the Toledo show for $60. I always carry it as a back up for my power panel.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

My Fora powered Mako will be ready for Flight on sunday,
any recomendation on breaking in the engine?
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Bring ear plugs!
wayno

Post by wayno »

I just treated mine just like any other expensive engine. Make sure you can shut it down in flight to avoid a lean run. They really open up when the plane reaches speed. You might think about starting with the 20% as that might be as fast as you want to go. Make sure you check the muffler after every flight. I used screws that are long enough to put poly locks on after going through the muffler.It also might be wise to put something on the plug to lubricate the threads as I sometimes had problems removing the plug after a few runs. Make sure your linkage to ailerons is rugged and slop free as I have fluttered my Avengers in a dive. Post report after flying as I would be interested in RPM reading.

Wayne Mayo
RCCA#880
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I couldn't fly the Mako Sunday, wind was blowing 40mph
The Magnum glow clip you guys recomended fits perfectly, the hobbico Micro panel plus lights up the nelson plug very bright at full heat
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

flew the fora powered Mako yesturday it was tak'n 22,100 on the ground with a 9x4 and there is no telling how much it unwinds in the air, its super fast, I flew it on 20/20 fuel (home made by my budy Bruce, thanks for the fuel dude!), on my 4th flight I had flutter on one of my ailerons, I tried to roll and loop to calm down the flutter but it wasn't working, it never did and my fuel pinch sistem wasen't working either, after it ran out of fuel I landed it safetly and when I picked my plane up I notice that the servo control horn striped, not the servo but the nylon horn, it was a rush!! the 8 guys at the field thought It wasnt gonna make it, I thing they never seen a plane with that much flutter.
the Mako flies ok with one aileron, it just rolls kinda funny.
wayno

Post by wayno »

Told ya!

Wayne Mayo
RCCA 880
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

8x6 on the Jett is my new favorite toy, cant tach it here in the shop with the lights on but we will see what it does against Mikes this weekend when the rain lets up. Sure sounds good!
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Sean, did you get some rpm readings on that Jett?
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

I've got a motor that even out performs sean's jett!!! And its only a .28! WOOO HOOO nats here we come!
THend

Post by THend »

Oddly enough, I had my Mako smoking two weekends ago, and it was fast. We decided to radar it with the ProSpeed, and as my buddy just about got out the Mako fluttered badly, lost all control surfaces. Never seen that before.

I tried to throttle back, but the damage was done and off into the jungle it went. If it had been five feet to the east, it would have settled down in a nice patch of soft brush. However, it tried to chop an oak tree in half. The tree won, scrub one brand new Mako.

Glad you got yours back ok.[:D]
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Terry, sorry to hear you lost that plane, what powerplant where you using? the mako I have with the Fora its way to much for open B, I dont think ill be cutting streamers with it, it is 20 to 30 miles faster than my os fx powered makos, have you ever seen a Mako flex its wings on a tight turn[:p]?, I thought I only seen the avenger wings do that, ...anyways the Fora to date is to much for our current regular open B engines, ic or electric.

Its funny, but when I first tac it, I said "3500 rpms more, Yeah its good, cool, ill be a bit faster than my fx's[:)], but when it got a little airspeed...holy crap!!! sucker unloads like nothing iv seen[:)], I like fast planes, heck! a cupple guys at the field call me "Wild Gil", but I dont think ill be competing with the fora[B)]
THend

Post by THend »

I was running Norvel on mousse can with APC 9x4.

I've seen them flex once in a while, but not often and not much.

I'd think that much power would be great IF you could use throttle control too.