Jett .30 or Fora .29?

Any Open Class topic can be discussed here. Come on in and share your knowledge or ask a question. Best place on the Net to hang your hat on a windy day!

Moderator: hbartel

o1moregil

Jett .30 or Fora .29?

Post by o1moregil »

has anybody compared this 2 side by side?
wich one is better?
wayno

Post by wayno »

I have 2 of each. The Foras have no carb and when run on 30% scream bloody murder-almost too much power as they are significantly faster than other planes and only on or off. I have also had problems starting and I am not sure why. They also go through fuel at a high rate. I have to run an 8 oz. tank and start in the last 30 seconds to run the entire round. I run them on 20% with 20% klotz and they seem to work the best. Having to start late in order to fly entire round puts a lot of pressure on you to make sure everything is right. They also use Nelson plugs at 4.50 each. The Jetts start every time and though they don't turn up as high as the Foras, they seem to have alot of torque and don't drop in r's when you pull hard. I have only run 15% in them up to now but plan to test with 20% this year. They all have excellent durability and after a complete season are still damn tight. If you want to scare everyone,run the Foras as nothing else sounds the same. If you want OS reliability and much more durability( as compared to an OS sleeve and piston) and an extra 1000 rpm,run the Jetts. They cost 250.00 which includes an ultrathrust style muffler so if you factor that in plus they really look cool then you definately get your money's worth. It takes him about 60 days to build one so order with that in mind.
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

I agree the sound of a Fora is awesome! If you want to clear the flight line at your home field fire up a Fora and at my field everybody lands! They also usually duck and seek shelter somewhere! The Fora is not really made to use a muffler and I've had 2 cases get broken in the exhaust area. It also liked to throw the headers off or break them!
wayno

Post by wayno »

The Foras I got from George had metal mounts with some cutting board type plastic screwed to the rear portion of the mounts that I then used sheet metal screws to attach to the plastic avenger mount. They also have Mac's headers that were hogged out to fit over the exhaust port and then attached with 2 log screws and either a metal strap or another piece of the above described plastic. There is the standard mousse can installed on the muffler. The fuel shut off servo is attached directly behind the motor. I haven't had any problems with the muffler but if I were to guess what is going to fail first that would be it. The 2 Foras I purchased were already "rigged" in this fashion with the garantee that if they weren't the fastest planes there to let him know and he would make sure they were. I haven't had to make that call yet. I think the psychological effect they impart probably outweighs the tactical advantage gained. It is fun to have them, but I use my Jett powered opens as primary ships. I also use either 20 or 30% fuel with 23% klotz as reccomended by George, not the 20% oil as stated in my prior post. I think they throw as much fuel out of the front bearing as they burn. They remind me of F-1 motors.
Pathous

Post by Pathous »

Wayne I personally think you do better with the Jetts than the Fora. The Fora is too fast also the hard starting and fuel consumption has cost you more points.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

I Talk to George Cleaveland this morning and he told me about the fuel% oil % etc. and Wayno is right on. I got a Fora and header w/mouse can on the way , Ill be going on a Mako
I aslo ordered a 9x4 prop that he recomended.

were are you guys buying the nelson plugs?
I did a search and www.darrolcady.com came up but seem there 2 types of plugs, a standard and a heavy duty
wayno

Post by wayno »

I get them from Darroll and I use the HD. Performance Specialties also sells Nelson products. You might as well get an 8oz Tettra bubbless tank as well. I found some heli fuel that was the right mix as per George (30-23). Make sure the fuel shutoff works as they will definately burn themselves down if run lean. I had this happen once and it got so hot it melted the prop. It still runs as good as ever which says a lot about the quality of the materials used in piston and liner. I think the high oil content probably had a lot to do with this as well. Make sure that the oil is well mixed in the can before every fueling. I really shake the hell out of it before every fueling. I like Georges purple props as well. I also found that using your power panel to light the plug gave more consistant starting and probably is the cure for my starting problems. You have to use alligator clips as the nelson plugs are different from standard. Make sure to carefully mount the motor as it is pretty scary having that thing spinning up in close proximity to your face and neck. I run 2 screws through the G-10 and 2 through the plastic mount. They are really tight and it takes a good starter to turn them over which puts a lot of stress on the mount. I experimented with rich running at launch and then dialed them in over several flights. When they are just right look out. I hope your plane is strong! If you figure out a way to not lose or totally shred your streamer let me know. Wayne
Captain America

Post by Captain America »

what prop are you using on the jett? Ive got one ive been trying to dial in, been using a 9x5apc.
wayno

Post by wayno »

Sean, I use 9-4 Master Airscrew, APC9-4 and 9-3.3 combat props and 9-4 APCs. My motors are still tight after several tanks, but they seem to open up as they age. I put time on them in contests only as I want them to last as long as possible. Putting some time on them on a test stand and keeping track of their performance might find the best prop for you. I think the props Jett reccomends would work well on a clean sport plane, but the open ships are by no means as clean so less prop is probably in order. You might try cutting down your 9-5 to 8 or 8.5-5. You might contact Jett and ask him about maybe changing shims and using more nitro which is what I plan to do. I think he is on the conservative side on his reccomendations to ensure long life. I know that using more than 15% voids the warranty, but there are so many variables involved with running these and any motor that barring some type of obvious defect in assembly or parts you would have a hard time convincing any manufacturer that you didn't cause failure. I know he is good about answering emails so you might drop him a line. I have had no problems with his motors and in no way imply he wouldn't honor his warranty. He does hint that there might be more in there somewhere. Good luck and I hope this helps.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

thanks Wayno you been very helpfull, I got some HD plugs on the way, I use bladders on my Makos I guess an engine with ventiri is much easier to start with a bladder than with a bubbles tank, maybe thats why your having problems starting that Fora, have you tried a bladder?
wayno

Post by wayno »

I'm not real versed on using bladders although I did aquire all the materials to make them. When you get your motor sorted out let me know and maybe I can get some pointers from you on the dimensions of yours and where I mount them and so on. I have avoided them in the past as it seemed like more that can go wrong but I am always open to what works the best. If you have any secrets about making webras run consistantly or anyone else for that matter I would be real interested.
Wayne Mayo
RCCA #880
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

If you are new to the Nelson plug remember that they take a lot of juice to light them properly. Most clip on types won't do it. A lot of power panels won't do it either! I need to have my power panel cranked all the way up to the top and all the way in the red on the meter to get it to light up properly. Try it with the plug out of the engine and observe it. It can save you a lot of grief trying to start it up!

Regular glow clips don't work either. At least they won't stay on by themselves. You can use it in a pinch but you will neet to have someone hold it on. Hobby people has one that looks like the 1/2 type clip that works well.

Unless conditions are ideal you will lose your streamer pretty fast so launch late to avoid having to land and reattach!
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Mike is there a part number for that clip? I was thinking of making one, BTW George called this morning, I should be geting it today[:D]
the Mako is Nicely covered in black rsn I had to make a 8.5"x 1.10" cavity to acomodate 8oz of fuel
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

correction: the cavity is 8.5"x 2.10"
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/237448.asp

If your interested I've got a Fora with a broken case I would part with!