Templates-What do you use?

Share your secrets for building safe, durable planes that kick butt!

Moderator: hbartel

crash_out

Templates-What do you use?

Post by crash_out »

I've been using a couple of materials for templates, and haven't really been happy with any of them. I was wondering what everyone is using, specifically for wing templates.

I tried aluminum flashing-it's fairly easy to cut, but the hot wire doesn't like it very much....Does work good to use as outline templates-cut out the shape, lay it down, draw around it, and go.

I got some of the Tri-T laminate from Tekoa. It's expensive, I have to have it shipped, and every way I tried to cut it would cause small sections to de-laminte.

I've used 1/16" and 1/32" light ply, but these don't last too long. I've also used 1/4" ply but it's so hard to cut and get everything straight on.

I need something that's fairly thin, hopefully enough that some good shears or an x-acto could cut/shape it. I don't have access to much in the way of tools. I thought about formica, but I can't find it anywhere-plenty of places will sell it to me provided I buy the counter top it's attached to....

Thanks for any help!!
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

Formica laminate is what you want, you will have to cut it with a band saw then smooth with sandpaper. Find out where a local custom cabinet shop is and beg for some of their scraps, get light colors, obviously your pencil won't show up on dark. My cabinet shop gives me more scraps than I can use. If you have to buy, then Lowe's sells it in sheets-------------rick
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I've been checking at every Lowe's I go to, but they get that glazed look on their face like they do every time I ask for something other than lumber....

I'll check out a few more cabinet shops. I was hoping I'd find one that I could get the scraps from, but no luck yet.

Can the formica be cut with a scroll saw, or is it too tough?

Thanks again!!
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

Be aware theres two thichnesses and you don't want the thin one.
I use circut board material and I don't know if a scroll saw will cut it.You might try contacting Mike at Hattrick his price is very reasonable to cut wings and it might be cheaper in the long run than getting everything together to do it yourself.
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

Don, I respectfully disagree. I use the thin formica laminate, it is about 1/16" +-. Works very well and yes you can easily cut it with a scroll saw. Mike is another good option, but if your like me you just want to do it yourself--------rick
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

deleted double post!
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Well, I'm kind of in it all ready-I got a Feathercut and have a hot wire "bandsaw" along with some other foam shaping tools, but I just couldn't get a template material I was happy with. I'm going to scour the phone book tomorrow for any custom cabinet shops in the area, and see if I can talk some out of some scrap they got laying around...

Thanks!
EK

Post by EK »

I use galvanized flashing after finding the aluminum to flexible to hold the bow on the lead out. Also use it for vstab / hstab templates and cut right against the template.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Yeah, I'm using the flashing for the same purpose. Much better than paper templates....
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

Try 1/8" aircraft ply. It might balance between longevity and ease-of-cutting. it's also a lot tougher than the lite-ply templates you mentioned.
drewjet

Post by drewjet »

I use.060 aircraft aluminum. Cut it with a bandsaw or a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade, then file. It is a bit more work than cutting with scissors, but it lasts forever.
tiger_musky

Post by tiger_musky »

Crah_out,

I buy formica at home depot and Lowes all the time. You can get in 4' x 8' sheets and 2' x 4' sheets. I also invested in a nice pair of formica hand cutters and it makes it a lot easier to cut out. My bench sander is the tool of the gods for sanding the formica to the profile line. A cabinent shop will usually give you their scraps for free and I'm sure they will sell you the larger sheets. For the price, easy of cutting, availabilty, and durability, I don't think you can beat Formica.

Nate
Alex Treneff

Post by Alex Treneff »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by crash_out</i>
<br />I'm going to scour the phone book tomorrow for any custom cabinet shops in the area, and see if I can talk some out of some scrap they got laying around...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Nick, at the north Lowe's their countertop stuff is back in the back left of the stoor. Just ask someone where the bathrooms are and that'll take you right to it. I'd imaging it would be the same at the south store too. I was sure I've seem formica there before, but maybe not, maybe it was full countertops... [8)]
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Thanks for all the info, I'll check it out.

Lowe's are wierd...I can buy 1 inch foam at the north store, but not at the south or Corinth store...but I can buy 2 inch white foam at the Corinths store, but not at the other stores...
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I couldn't find any cabinet shops willing to part with any formica at all....figures.
I went to the nearest Lowe's, and did find 4x8 sheets at $45 a piece. I can't afford to pay that, and I don't need that much anyway. So I wait around for an employee to come by so I can ask if they have any 2x4 sheets. During the course of about 10 minutes, quite a few employees come through, though none offer to help. I managed to chase one down and asked him if they had any 2x4 sheets of formica, and he just looked at me and said it wasn't his department, and he had no idea what formica was. I find this interesting as I was standing 5 feet from the big sheets.....

I can understand not enjoying your job, but this is ridiculous. Whatever happend to customer service? Because of this, I walked out without buying the other stuff i ntended to get, and will probably never return to that store again.

Sorry...didn't mean to get off on a rant here, but this is one of the things that really rubs me the long way.