Spitfire wings at AREA-52

Moderator: hbartel

THend

Post by THend »

Ok folks, I am on the fence here and decided to sleep on it...

How much dihedral should I put in? Say, one side flat on the bench and the other side lifted how much?

Petr Bachens' Spit looked fairly flat.

I am thinking 3/4 inch each side for a total of 1 1/2 inches dihedral. That, or just build it flat bottom.

What do the "designers" think?
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

My Petr Bachan wing has about 3/4" per side, and looks "right".
THend

Post by THend »

Thanks Ed, that is where I ended up at too.

Looking at the first wing, it looks OK. I may push it a tad on the second wing to see which flys better.

I'm thinking of doing what someone else did, build a platform for testing the wings. The fuse is important, but will typically "work", it is the combination of all the wing characteristics that needs to be tested.
THend

Post by THend »

First prototype out of AREA-52, maiden flight went well. Now to figure out how to build them fast.

Here is E True Hollywood Star Butch Abongan with his new baby. He is just glowing! [:D]

Getting ready for first flight. I don't know why they were so nervous?? Triple checked throws and everthing.

Here she is on the first climb out. If I recall she only needed two clicks of trim, and I can't remember which axis...

She looks pretty good coming at you, very clean! [:D] Sadly, my memory stick was full because I forgot to format it prior to the event and wasn't sure if I had saved the photos on it. Anyway, one last look as she turned around and came back toward the line.

That is all for now. I've still got mine on the bench, and using what we learned from the first one, maybe we can iron out a few issues.

Overall, the first plane flew well, infact it flew great. The Mag .15 on it was fairly weak, and Butch is headed out to get a new Mag Blue Head for it.

My wing has more dihedral, and may actually perform a tad bit smoother. We will see.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

The Spitfire really looks sweeeet! [:0][:D][:D]
THend

Post by THend »

Thanks Roy, everyone really liked it.

Keep in mind, the fuse on this one is shortened for SSC. The one for 2610/2548 will be properly proportioned. If you look close, the canopy is too far forward for scale.

The good news is that the same wing will work for both SSC and Scale, and is legal all the way around. [:D]
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Looks great TH. I will take one or two right now for the pearl harbor classic!!
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

SWEEEEEEEEET!!! I like it!!!
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Hey TH, do you have any info on the cnc foam cutter? I just started cutting foam and its a blast. I need a set-up a little better, that looks like the ticket. thank you.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Yup, The spitfire looked good and flew well. I flew a round against Butch & the new spitfire. He just needed that new blue head Magnum 15. Awesome job on getting that bird ready to rock last week.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Cool! Nice job on the finishing. Are you going to sell wings?
THend

Post by THend »

He didn't have time to put the invasion stripes on!

As for selling wings and what not... I would like to, just don't seem to ever have enough time!
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Anyway we can get you to post the bending jig mesaurements? I tried to do the figures on a 3696 Spitfire wing, but must have done something wrong-it didn't come out anywhere hear right...
THend

Post by THend »

I will share what I have learned, just need to take some photos and put it together. 3696, is that a 36 inch wingspan then?

TH
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Yes. I sat down one night, and came up with the figures for a P-47 wing that seemed to be ok, but when I tried to plug in the numbers for a spitefire, seems like everything got messed up....