E-Jet Combat

Here's the place to talk about "Light" electric combat limited to Open designs with brushed motors.

Moderator: hbartel

irone

E-Jet Combat

Post by irone »

Our group started flying jet combat reciently. The jets are going over big time. Spectaters think they are awsome because they fly so differently. Thrust vector you know.

It took us some time to get the hang of them for combat. The first few sorties were very loose and disjointed. We at first didn't truly understand how to vector them into position. After a half dozen rounds we started getting cuts. The rest is that "H" word.

With all the jet fun we got the idea to hold <b>THE WORLDS FIRST EVER E-JET RALLY</b> and have a few ejet combat rounds scheduled during the event. Check your AMA magazine and look in October for the listing.

I have been flying a Yardbird Mig from my friend Mark at www.2dogrc.com and it has been great but it takes too long to build out. So I designed a F22 Raptor for my new plane. I like planes that build out in under 2 hours (real lazy but love combat).

Hawk Field in Mansfield will be hosting the E-Jet Rally, October 4th and 5th. Check out www.hawkfield.org for more info or you may contact me with your questions at ejetrally@hawkfield.org

Here is a pix of my F22. I will have plans and build pictures on the Hawk Field Chat Forum as soon as I can get a friend to do a pdf file for me. The all up weight on this one is 15 ounces.

irone

Post by irone »

Oops, I forgot to mention that we are not slamming these things into each other like a demolition derby, which I consider stupid and moronish. We are talking ejet streamer action here.

Wing and verticle stab cuts are on the venue. Check out the things that sorta look like missles on the wingtips and on top of the verticle stabs. These are foam strips hot glued on to create a streamer trap. Besides that they look cool also. They may easily be replaced with a new piece of foam after a bad landing or an in air love tap by another plane.

No sticky stuff is ever needed because this approach works better. In fact it works as surely as prop cut. If a person was hit by one of those projections, the foam would simply crumple up so cancel that 911 call.

We are flying BP-21 motors, 7060SF props, 1350mah 3 cell batteries, and only 2 servos are required to operate the tailerons.

Just one other thought, "Wind". The jets seem to love wind. It just doesn't get too windy for the jets.

The motor and prop is hard to see but its there...................

adamdb

Post by adamdb »

I love parkjets, so this is just too cool!

I am awaiting announcements of the plans so I can figure out which plane to rob a BP21 from!
RH

Post by RH »

Let's build us some park jets adam!! This is cool!!!!

r
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Please post a note here with the link when you get the PDF uploaded. I picked up a couple of BP-21s today
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Cool. I've been building fan fold deltas for a little while now-they are folded over a spar to create a traditional airfoil, and powering them with the little TowardPro(formerly Towerpro) motors-they usually come in around 11 ounces and are very agile. Using these kinds of simple designs makes it easier to accept the inevitable carnage.

I saw the E-jet event posted over on Wattflyer, and am considering coming down. I've got a list of events I'm off work for, so I just have to make sure I don't have an event 8 hours away every weekend I'm off for two months...
irone

Post by irone »

I was able to test fly the F22 this weekend and it was dead on. The weekend was fairly windy but as I said earlier the ejets love the wind. I did notice that with the profile body it would try to weather vane itself directly into the wind if you allowed it to do so. That didn't seem to be a problem as I was able to cut streamers with ease. It for some reason does some amazing things. I can cut the throttle pause, then pull full up and it just pancakes in the air, then it just hangs there for a moment before it does a tail slide and pitches the nose over. Quite a cool move. One can barrel roll it positive or negetive to allow another plane to pass over or under and come out in position to make a cut. I was never cut but did have a mid-air that tore into one wing some. A quick hot glue repair put me back up for the next round.

<b>Crash-out</b>, It would be great if you could make the Ejet Rally. Bring a plane that we can streamer up.[:D]

<b>Ed Kettler</b>, Two motors = two ejets, thats the right number to use. I am starting on my backup this evening.[}:)]

I handed my only set of templates to a friend of mine to use in making the F22 PDF for us. If I have time this evening I will start loading pictures over on www.hawkfield.org on the building steps. The webmaster set up a new heading just for plans so check it out next week.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Are you using Depron or blue foam?
irone

Post by irone »

Hello Ed,
I used some of the foam that I got from Balsa Products to build the Raptor. Foam in the middle and covered with some sort of plastic sheeting on the outside. The material is a little heavy and brittle, but I had it on hand and it worked out fine. I think that the blue FFF would be a better choice. The under side is a product called foamboard from The Dollar Tree. It sells for one dollar a sheet and is great stuff. It has a foam middle and covered with white craft paper on each side. Very rugged stuff. I just thought it might be best for all of the belly landings. The long and the short of it is that FFF would be a good choice and would also be the lightest way to build it.

You also could build it with 6mm Depron, but besides being more expensive you would be back to that brittle thing that creates mass destruction in mid-airs.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Wingspan, length? Any jet (rear pusher ok?)? Historic or anything goes?
irone

Post by irone »

Ed, the ones we are using to dogfight have wingspans from 21 to 25 inches. Lengths run from 30 inch to 36 inches or so. I am currently scratch building a Mig-25 Foxbat That is 36" length and 24.5" WS. I'll try to post some pictures of it next week.

Any jet is fine as far as I know at this point and a rear pusher would be worth a try but probably wouldn't be very compedative as they don't thrust vector. I take that back http://www.rcpowers.com/ has some rear pushers that mount the motor to the elevator and vector that way. They would work fine and are about the right size for the BP-21. You can download plans from his website for 4 or 5 dollars or look on http://www.parkjets.com/ for a free one.
irone

Post by irone »

Here is a picture of the bottom side of my Raptor. You can clearly see the battle damage from last weekends mid-airs. I usually don't try to fix this type of damage. It only helps in trapping streamers. The plane doesn't seem to care one way or the other.[:p]

irone

Post by irone »

Ed, I was thinking about your question on rules or if anything goes. I am thinking that the only restraints may be an 18-20amp speed controller and a 7060 prop. Call it "E-Jet 2076" just for grins.[:D]

I enjoy designing air frames and then finding ways to improve my designs some work well, others don't. Every time I re-design my WWII warbirds I think this is as far as I can go. Then I think of something new to try. I'm sure it will be the same with the jets.

You may wish to scratch build something. It seems pretty easy for me to do. That way I get what I want. Thre aren't no Foxbats of this type to be found anywhere on the internet. I simply use a 3 view drawing, scaled up to the correct size and go from there. Try to get the all up weight around 14 or 15 ounces. The Mig-25 is part FFF and The Dollar Trees Foamboard material. It came in one ounce lighter (14 ounces), and contains more material than the F-22.

Here is a before and after of my new <b>MIG-25 FOXBAT.</b>[:0]

<b>ARMED TO THE TEETH AND READY TO ROCK AND ROLL............</b>
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I'm not concerned about the rules, I just want to know what is working for you folks so I can build something similar, be competitive and have fun. What are you running for batteries?

Did you get the F-22 plans posted yet?

Thanks for getting this organized!
irone

Post by irone »

Ed, This is what we are using on these 14 and 15 ounce planes. We use a 1300 or 1350 15C-20C 3 cell which provides plenty of power with a 18amp ESC and a 7060 SF prop. This combo should provide unlimited out of site verticle performance. Providing your plane is not overweight. Recommend 14 to 15 ounces all up weight.

So far no PDF. I did upload the build-out pictures over on www.hawkfield.org in the chat forum. I expect to see Cliff this weekend so keep your fingers crossed.

Return to “"Light" Electric Combat”