2008 AMA Combat Nationals ( Videos )

This is the big one ladies and gents, the AMA Nats

Moderator: hbartel

Blue Note

2008 AMA Combat Nationals ( Videos )

Post by Blue Note »

There was a lot of great combat action this day in Muncie, IN. Here is a small sample of the 2548 Limited Scale Class. They typically ran .25 sized engines tached at 14,500K RPM max on the ground with a MAS 10X4 prop, had 48" wingspans, and weighed at least 3.25 lbs. The video doesn't even begin to do it justice, but I still hope you enjoy it. Best if viewed full screen hi-res.

2548 Limited Scale Class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFOIyc016gQ[/youtube]

Here is a clip of some of the SSC class that weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ3JLNMfNnE[/youtube]
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Looks cool, nice video! But I think it would be even cooler to hear the engine noises and pilots hooting and hollering, rather than the Iron Maiden. Also, was that 2548? Some of the action looked awfully fast and I could swear I saw Brian's yellow Fulmar (2610 plane) in one quick clip.
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

Scott, I think you are right about the one clip. I now recognize the plane also. Unfortunately, the clips were mixed up when retrieved from the tapes and I had to do the best I could to determine the class. I got there late Friday and got very little footage of the 2610 class, but tried to separate it out. Unfortunately, I have the same problem with the Limited and Open B classes - some I can tell for sure, some not so sure. The audio was less than stellar due to the wind in the microphone and people talking around me. At the time I did not have a hard hat to allow me to get any closer and I felt it better to mute the audio. Clips of the other events may be better. I knew several people may dislike the music, but didn't really care. It seemed appropriate. Anyways, the program I am using at present is pretty limited and not very user friendly. I'll be better prepared next year, but plan to spend my time flying more than watching. Thanks for the feedback.

Chris
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sgilkey</i>
<br />Looks cool, nice video! But I think it would be even cooler to hear the engine noises and pilots hooting and hollering, rather than the Iron Maiden. Also, was that 2548? Some of the action looked awfully fast and I could swear I saw Brian's yellow Fulmar (2610 plane) in one quick clip.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Scott, I'm impressed you know that was Iron Maiden, excellent!! The song is Aces High, great tune!! I'm a big Maiden fan from way back, the clip gave me goose bumps!!

UP THE IRONS!!
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Yeah, i was watching it with Eric and we were both really enjoying the music, no doubt it's a cool song and fits the event really well! (We had the speakers turned up LOUD). But one thing that I think is cool about combat and could really entice people to try it is not only the engine noises, but the hooting and hollering of the pilots when they get cuts (or in my case, many many cuts). But the video clips were fun to watch and really showed the action well. Eric said it would be cool to see some in-air shots- I told him about Mark LaBoyToy's flying camera, which got some really cool shots a few years back....
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

PS Mike, I (and the boys, I've brought them up right) really like metal, I'd offer to swap CDs with you but most of my stuff is on VINYL. BTW I keep forgetting to tell you that Brian has uploaded the add-ons and I have to give you your CDs back, thanks! He's really enjoying them (the add-ons, that is)!!!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Scott, you can get turntables with USB plugs so you can convert your vintage vinyl to CDs to rock down the road!

I've been learning video trying to document Lee Liddle's quest for 200 mph on an electric ducted fan jet. Tracking a combat "furball" at 60 mph is quite a different challenge then a bullet at 180 plus, but you still have wind noise and chatter to deal with. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st10350536

Great work! Post more when you get them
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

It looks like I've got better footage of some closer action with the SSC rounds. There is still quite a bit of wind noise, but a couple good mid-airs and carrying on. I'll probably need to mix in from a few rounds instead of one continuous round to make it more exciting for those watching it with interested to see if it is something they'd like to try. I'll definitely keep some audio of the "angry hornets" and crowd where it's not drowned out by the wind or talking. I'll post here as I get it done. Be patient. I've gone into overdrive building planes since returning from Muncie.
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

Here is a clip of an SSC round at the AMA Combat nationals, I'll try and add each of these to the original post as they become available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEv8F8Tg83k

The link in the 1st posting is silent, but I was unable to edit the link there.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

That was cool!!! Good job following the planes and especially Bohlman's!! Who was it who got the cut with 15sec left???
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

Thanks. My dad did most of the filming and I'm just doing a little editing. I'm sure he'll appreciate the complement. Not sure who got that cut, but I didn't get to where I could identify each persons plane.

You can see from this first image that they actually should have gotten a cut on this pass.Image

The next sequence occurred about 2-3 seconds later ( at about the 15 seconds left call ). Good action!
Image,Image,Image,Image

Good job - whoever you are....
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

That's probably Brian and I see how he cheats now! He secretly separates into two planes to cover more area then comes back together after the cut so no one suspects------rick
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

Yeah, if you read closely, I believe you'll find that technique outlined in Chapter 3 of the <u>Gilkey School of Combat</u> handbook, right after the section on "How to Trick Your Opponents Into Flying Themselves Into the Ground".[:D]
Dr. Kamakaze

Post by Dr. Kamakaze »

The cut with 15 seconds left was me (and it was me hooting and hollering afterwards too). The footage is actually SSC, not limited B, because SSC is all I fly (so far). I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the video on You Tube and the first plane zoomed in on was me [:D]. Great filming goes to the cameraman!!
My dad and I had a grat time down at the NATS this year. It was my 2nd year competing and I look forward to getting into Limited B next year. I already have 3 25's waiting to be broken in and thrown on a phencepost. I also cut my own wings now, so I guess you could say that I'm hooked!! Bill Geipel got me started in RC combat and I've been impressed with how all the guys are so open with information to help newbies like me get going. It's a great group of guys!!
Dr. Andy Runte aka "Dr. Kamakaze"
-TEAM KAMAKAZE-
RCCA #876
AMA #273119
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

<font color="green">[quote]<i>Originally posted by Dr. Kamakaze</i>
<br />The cut with 15 seconds left was me (and it was me hooting and hollering afterwards too). The footage is actually SSC, not limited B, because SSC is all I fly (so far).</font id="green">

Thanks for the correction. The footage was mixed up and I have found it very difficult determining class to class in some clips. I'll correct it elsewhere.

Return to “AMA RC Combat Nationals”