One engine for multiple planes

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

Bruce B

One engine for multiple planes

Post by Bruce B »

do you guys remember the u.s.aircore airplane kits?They have a "power cartridge"that mounts the engine, fuel tank, and radio on a plywood plate.The plate slides into thd fuse and is held by screws.You can move the assembly between airframes and only use one engine,etc. for all of there planes.would this work in 2548 as i have 5 planes and 2 engines.At $100 ea new engines for the rest of the fleet are out for now. Just trying to use what i've got.
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

That sounds like a real good idea, Bruce. It might add some weight however, if you aren't careful.

If you want me to, I can stop by Roys and pick up some fuel nipples for you and bring them to the next contest. Let me know.
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

i was really only referring to swapping engine,throttle servo and maybe the fuel tank.the rest of the radio gear would stay in a dedicated airframe.Dont want to get into trimming every plane every time the change is made.maybe i will have time to do some trial and error stuff tomorrow.Thanks Gary i'll take a couple of the fuel nipples if you wouldn't mind.see you next month
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

That's an interesting proposition. If the plane were built around rails of somekind, you could theroetically design it to where the "cartridge" bolts to the rails...I think Chris Quinn designed a 2610 warbird that used Battle axe-type rails and had a clamshell body made of foam that fit around it.

Of course it stands to reason that something that would damage the airframe beyond quick repair might damage the cartridge as well....It seems to me most disabling combat damage is either wing hits or nose plants....
boiler

Post by boiler »

Chris did that. I built 3 P-40 planes for 2548 using that idea. Nearly indestructable! Only problem was that I built them too heavy and tail heavy. I plan to revisit that idea when I get some time.
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

thanks for the input guys. I got some aluminum channel that i think will work.the butcher block that i have for motor mounts in ssc fits snug inside of the channel.a couple of nuts and bolts on each side and i think it'll hold. now i have to figure out how to mount it in a plane so that it is accessible and dasily removed. if anyone has any ideas or pictures of how others have done it i an always open for suggestions.
boiler

Post by boiler »

I dug out a compartment between the rails above the wing for thr radio. I inserted all servos and battery in pockets on the outside of the fuselage.