Battle Axe B

All Things Related to Limited B

Moderator: hbartel

gsjames

Battle Axe B

Post by gsjames »

I'm just finishing up my first Battle Axe B from TreneffRC. The kit is professional all the way. A big "thumbs up" to Alex and Tim for providing this excellent airplane. I'm gonna fly it tomorrow with one of my SSC wings on it because although the wing is "done", I don't have any covering for it, and I can't wait to give it a try. The B wing and the SSC wing are apparently identical except for the spar sizes. Thanks guys!
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

It flew great, very much like the SSC bird except more "solid". I didn't have enough elevator authority on the first flight so I cranked it up for the 2nd and it gave me enough to stall it after 2 loops at full throw. I was using a non-legal prop, MAS 8-6 scimitar combat, and it was turning about 15,700 on 15% fuel. Even still, it wasn't as fast as I expected it to be. I think I can handle it. I flew it at GSW, the same site where we have the Lone Star Nats. It was rather windy, over 25 mph...I got SHOT DOWN TWICE with one of my SSC's ( a TOTAL loss, even the engine) and my new B bird (which is not damaged too much). I was on Ch 31, which is not one of the "banned" freqs there. That little escapade probably cost me $150 or so...[:(] I'm seriously considering switching to 2.4 gHz after today. I could have paid for the 2.4 module for what I lost today.

Great airplane Alex!
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

There are no prop restrictions in Open B. Try using a 9x4. What engine/muffler are you using?
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gsjames</i>
<br />That little escapade probably cost me $150 or so...[:(] I'm seriously considering switching to 2.4 gHz after today. I could have paid for the 2.4 module for what I lost today.

Great airplane Alex!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<font size="2">I love my DSS! I got a Spektrum DX6i last spring with a receiver for about $180. Then got in their promotion which was 2 for 1 receivers. I've been glitch-free ever since. [8D]

That's not to say that I haven't seen a glitch. One of my parkflyer buddies had a plane's motor start up "on it's own". There were three of us with our Spektrum radios standing within about 6 feet of each other at the time. We've never had that happen again, so I don't know if it may have been a problem receiver.</font id="size2">
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />There are no prop restrictions in Open B. Try using a 9x4. What engine/muffler are you using?

I was using a stock OS 25FX with stock muffler. I was just using the MAS 8-6 Combat because I have a LOT of them for CL Combat and my LHS (Roy's) didn't have any APC 10-3's in stock.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Gary, you`re talking about a Limited B prop and RPM.

For OPEN B the only restriction on the power system is a .30cid engine. Any prop, any fule, any rpm, any muffler. You need a moose can muffler, a MA 9/4 rpop, 20% fuel and about 18.5k on the ground, and you`ll be ready. Oh, and it`ll be plenty fast.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I see we are in the Limited B section, my bad.

Gary, we haven`t ever flown any Limited B in Texas as far as I know. So set it up for Open B and you`ll be ready for the LSN.
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

OPEN B BABY!!!
o1moregil

Post by o1moregil »

Gary your gonna need a header and a combat kan to get the rpms up there on the fx 25, or just put on one of your cl engines on it, that atta get it! (who needs the throttle anyways)
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by o1moregil</i>
<br />or just put on one of your cl engines on it, that atta get it! (who needs the throttle anyways)

I would have... I've got two <font color="red">SCREAMING</font id="red"> FORA .35's and 4 Maverick/Fox .35's MK III's with Brasher Cranks (Lee knows what I mean [:0] )with carbon fiber props. [:D] Unfortunately, you "sissies" [;)]limit it to .30's and alas, that makes my .35's illegal. I thought about getting some Nelson .29's or some FORA clones, but there is virtually no "B" activity here, so it wouldn't be worth the money at this time. I can use the OS .25FX's in 2548 which is the 2nd most popular event in North Texas.

Actually as far as "limited" vs "open" I wasn't differentiating at this point. I just went out and flew what I happened to have on hand at the time. Next chance I get, I'm going to buy some mousse can mufflers, (those things are EXPENSIVE) some APC and MA 9-4's and sock the nitro to it. I've got a suspicion that an old CL combat flier can make an engine <font color="red">HONK </font id="red">if the need arises...[:D]
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

what! no open B, awe man thats too bad. thats what first tried, hooked ever since. well we dont have any SSC or 2458 or reg B here in our area. the closest of that is about 5 hrs away. in the central valley is Open B all the way!!

Andy Erwin (draftman1)

gsjames

Post by gsjames »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by draftman1</i>
<br /> in the central valley is Open B all the way!!

I used to live in the central valley, NAS Lemoore to be exact, when I was stationed there in the Navy. I taught myself to fly RC at the dirt patch on base that served as an RC field. I don't think that I ever saw anybody else use that place.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

wow, Im about 45 min away from Lemoore. Im in Porterville. Our club The Exeter Thunderhawks has open B. its a good central location for the litle CA circuit we have. Livermore and San Diego are the other combat places. Its nice to see that somebody else was in the area!