Low cost iron on film

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

gsjames

Low cost iron on film

Post by gsjames »

Has anyone ever tried this stuff from United Hobbies in Hong Kong?

http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBB ... &sortlist=

The price is certainly low enough. $13 for 5 meters, that's more than 15 feet
THend

Post by THend »

I've recently purchased some laminating film that has been proven to work real well on EPP. I did a test run on some DOW Blue and it looked great. But, I haven't covered one completely as of yet...

On RCGroups do a search for New Stuff in the Slope thread....

The stuff is cheap! The sloper dudes are ALL switching over to it.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I saw that covering, but am worried it's a high temp like Monokote. I've heard its quite a bit heavier than Monokote....
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

It comes in many thicknesses and in huge rolls! You usually have to buy 2 of the giant rolls besides! It's all clear so you have ot do something else to get any color. it does go on nice and irons down and shrinks well.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

Oops, I was refering to the Hobby-city covering. I've used laminating film(Doculam) before, and think it's good as a covering, but apparently doesn't add much strength. But at the price, 2 500' rolls should last you a LONG time....
THend

Post by THend »

I suggest you go read the forum. These guys have spent a ton of time getting it dialed in. The planes I've seen are very tough, and stiff. There is so much out there, but these guys figured out the right thickness etc... I plan on going heavy on the bottom and LE and light on the top.

It is clear, but if you scuff it and then paint and seal it should work out. If it is for Open class planes, leave it clear and just go all Andy Warhol on the foam...[:D]

Or something like that![:D]
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I'd only used the 1.3 doculam replacement, and it wasn't quite as tough as poly film. I thought the heavier 1.7 or even 3.2 might work okay, but just haven't tried it yet.