My Plane is better than yours because...its faster

So you got a hot plane, eh? Tell us why you think you're gonna be Top Gun this year!

Moderator: hbartel

TheKid

My Plane is better than yours because...its faster

Post by TheKid »

Just thought i'd share this project with some of you fellow adrenaline junkies out there. Hopefully i'll get in the air over thanksgiving break, assuming this snow melts!

When its all said and done, it'll be around 600 watts and 160+ mph! All out of a 16 oz plane!

Enjoy!
boiler

Post by boiler »

How tight can you turn without losing the wings???[:D][;)][}:)]
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Hard to say, we'll have to see. But is a pylon plane, so i would guess it'll turn almost as tight as a combat plane...

I wonder how it does negative g's [8D]
THend

Post by THend »

C'mon out to SoCal and we'll hook you up with DSing... The guys that are really into it are still half asleep at 160..no motors either.

But believe me, 160 is dang fast, but you still got those kid eyes so it should be no issue at all.

Just be safe![8D]

You're hoping the snow melts, and I am trying to keep the solar heater on the pool down to 88...[;)]
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

You know terry, i would love to try DS. I wish we had some hills around here just to give it a shot! I've been following joe manor and his D160 build pretty heavily, 371 mph is pretty shocking! And im sure he'll go faster!

DS doesn't look that hard, but everyone says it is, which is obvious by how few people go so fast. It would be nice just to give it a try...

This plane is just the first step. The next one will be capable of 200 mph! Lets see, 380 mph out of a 160" plane...or 200 mph out of a 40" plane...Simple math seems to say that mine might look 2.1 times faster at the same distance...

Everyone should stay tuned around these parts, hopefully santa will come through and i'll have a couple cool projects to share!

I think mine will at least look faster!
THend

Post by THend »

If your are following Joe like the rest of us, you know what I am talking about. I was there when they hit 306, and 309 and man it was FREAKING scary.

DS is not hard to do, it is hard to fly clean and go very fast. On a given day, one pilot can barely irk out 200, and another 275 with the same design.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

I have some airframes that i think would be DS able, namely this one that im showing here, among others. If only i could find a place...

I've read of people DSing tree lines and buildings. Maybe with enough wind i'll go find a convienent school around my house and give it a go... Would if be possible to DS from the bottom of a DS arc, or is it hard to do that way? Maybe i'll have to bring a ladder to get up on the school...
THend

Post by THend »

Yes you can DS while standing at the bottom. If you are using a glider, use a bungee launch to get altitude and drop in. If you have a motor glider, well, get up and drop in. Kill the motor and see if you can keep it going.

Careful, it is very addictive....
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

I'd probably have to make up a new plane to try this...at least maybe a new fuse that would be lighter. The plane that I would use has a fuse built around a 2000 watts power system.

Would it be possible or practical to DS a 40 in plane? Beyond that the next closest thing to a DS plane we have is a combat plane, lol
THend

Post by THend »

I DS a 48 in plane all the time. I'd recommend a Moth if you plan on buying anything. Or, stay tuned.....AREA-52 has plans for a poor mans DS ship that if for learning...ALA HOR style from back in the day...
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

educate me guys, whats DS??? thanks

Andy Erwin 913
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Something that unless you're from out west or europe you probably haven't heard of...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954019

Most slope soaring is done on the fronside of the hill. Well DS is done on the "backside" or down wind side. DS pilots take advantage of the low pressure area on the back side and the shear layer of air coming over the top and fly circuits crossing the shear layer and diving into the dead, ow pressure area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_soaring

All kinds of interesting reading on wikipedia!
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Oh wow thats very cool!! I have heard the term Dynamic soaring but didnt know what it was. TH, you do some of that down south?

Andy Erwin RCCA 913
THend

Post by THend »

Yes, infact some of the crew is trying to drag me away on Saturday to fly Parker which is an incredible place to DS. There is a rockin place up by Bakersfield somewhere too, and easier on the planes to land as there is more sand and less rocks and brush.

We have two places local that are good up to about 150 mph, and then within an hour you can hit Norco and go 350 plus if you have the gear and the talent.

My best to date on record is only 109, but I haven't really been going after it. I have a full blown Carbon Destiny in the rack for over a year now. Need to stuff it so I can pop the 200 mark.

Basically, you are banking energy. You hopefully lose less than you gain when you BANG the shear layer.

It get really hilarious in the evening as we all pull out our chevron wings and what not and to DS combat. Basically doing 30-60 mph in tight circles and all over each other... So much fun..
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

by Bakersfield eh, thats only about an hour away? I wonder where its at. let me know when and I might be able to breakaway to see that. that looks so exciting!!

Andy Erwin RCCA 913

Return to “My plane is better than yours because...”