Moderator: hbartel

Cross Check

Scale Combat Gone Wild?

Post by Cross Check »

Scale Combat Gone Wild?
You be the Judge:

We are having allot of Fun,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oJ6JJC3uLM

All of them coro built. Using our 'older' stock O.S.FXs.

The WW2 is just as Great, just easier to build and twice as fast. (around 75-80mph)

Only thing better I'd like to do as CD of the Onslaught over Ontario next year is to get O.S. to Sponsor.

And the Sweedish Bikini Team to Line Judge !

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Oh Yeah,

It would be great if Bob 'Longhaul' could make it up here for one of our one day (usually Sunday) Matches. (we can spare him some decent backup planes.)

I forgot to mention that Bob'Skydog' who did the video flew 100+mph C/L Combat back in the 60-70s.

Really Cool Dude. Check out his site at www.skydog.ca

Onslaught pictures are accumulating at the RCC and RCU Combat sites...

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
boiler

Post by boiler »

Thanks for the invitation. If you can post a schedule, I'll see what I can do with my calendar. What is the location?
Bruce B

Post by Bruce B »

looking at all that snow, i am glad i live in Texas. very cool though
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

That looked like a lot of fun, just I'd like to try it when it was quite a bit warmer! Any build articles on the planes?
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Hi Bob,
Most of us are concentrated around the Toronto/London area in Southern Ontario.
I don't think any of us drive for more than 2hrs to get to a Match. We usually car/van pool too.
Mostly we have our Matches early Spring/late Fall, because it is easier to get the better Club fields. Farm crop conditions are a consideration at some fields too.
Mid-Summer spare time here is usually busy doing 'Family/other hobbies/sports stuff'. And other R/C Events seem to want prime weather... ("Sissies" ! HeHeHe)
When we need a summer 'Combat Fix' several of us will get together and show up at an already organized Funfly, Scale Rally or Airshow. We can get 4 or more Rounds most times. (Spectators LOVE scale combat, therefore the organizers do too ! ) Plus we get to meet other pilots, invite them try a round and they get easily drawn in... 'Hook/Line/Sinker' ! HeHeHe
Most of us fly other R/C, we are an eccentric group, who just like flying Scale Combat !

Next 'big' Matches planned are WW1 "Bloody April" in Toronto and "MayDay" WW2 in London. We usually pick a Sunday. If the weather forecast looks crap by Friday, we postpone, get extra Family Points, then we are ready when the later beauty Sunday weather breaks for us...
We probably will do a 'Stalingrad' this Winter again. By far, the best cure for Cabin Fever !

Ed,

I think this is so far the 'best' WW1 build thread on www.rccanada.ca

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=67872

It is very long, but just click in the pictures and it should explain the Albatross construction the easiest.

The WW2s are just 'tweaked/massaged' versions of the Dave West coro Mig.

I'll post some links when more impending photos turn up.

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

man that WW1 sMuff is cool.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Just checking on the wing construction: 2mm coro bottom, ribs spaced 3-4" and then covered with sign vinyl. Close?
Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Hi Ed,

The bottom wings are folded over 2mil with the flutes going chordwise.

This should be a top wing photo:

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/attachm ... 1203398575

The top wing is a flat outline of 4mil with the spar/ribs glued/2side taped on.
Later ones have a solid foam between the spar and LE with sliced foam ribs behind.
LE is a 1/4-5/16th dowel.
Instead of little al. brackets and bolts, the flattened brass tube strut ends now just go into the flutes and are 'pinned' with FGrods that slide through the flutes.
In a midair/crash/cartwheel, the brass tubes pop off the FGrod stuts. Then simply re-CA'd back together.

Take care,
Have fun,
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team