My plane is better than yours because,its smaller

So you got a hot plane, eh? Tell us why you think you're gonna be Top Gun this year!

Moderator: hbartel

TheKid

My plane is better than yours because,its smaller

Post by TheKid »

Heres a prject i just finished up and am waiting to fly. Just thought i'd share it with everyone. Mike cut me the cores (thanks mike), and it was an early christmas present, so i have something to do during my time off.

Specs are
3s 2500 mah 30C lipo
60a ESC
ARC 28-47-1.5T Brushless motor.

This is good for about 600 watts and easily 2:1 or maybe even 3:1 thrust to weight. The motor turns a 5.7x3 at about 26000 rpm, and a 6x4 at just short of that. So needless to say, its a beast. Should be a fun plane just to keep the reflexes sharp

cipoll717

Post by cipoll717 »

and i thought my planes were ugly. definately a case of function over form. i guess they teach that in next years class? Or, is this proof that you are you STILL studying automotive engineering? If so, I just have two things to say......
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Next year's course includes aerodynamics, including drag reduction techniques like not placing the battery sideways in the propwash ...
ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

It is beautiful.

When detailing my combat planes I always try to imagine them in their natural state.
With their tails sticking out of a trash can.

-Pete
THend

Post by THend »

So the motor mount has two rails on the bottom and two tywraps to hold it in place? Is that sufficient?
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Why does everyone say it looks so bad? Its no worse than a combat plane in my opinion...

The battery is placed at the CG so that as the electrons flow out my balance point doesn't change [;)]. No, but really i did that because it was the easiest way to mount it without interfering with something else. Its buried as deep as it'll go, it really only sticks up about 1/8 of an inch.

The mounting system was a piece or 1/8 balsa with 1/16 ply on top laminated with CA. That worked well, but it was a little flimsy and i needed nose weight anyway, so i put a piece of 1/4" ply square stock from the front of the motor back to about midway to the tail. This made it super rigid. I cut a groove in the laminated rly/balsa, and put a little bit of two sided tape on the bottom of the motor and this holds really well. I have no fear of the motor pulling out. The 2 sided tape is really only there to keep it from spinning in the mount...
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

That is a Dandy hat for your R2-D2.

You gonna put it in the air this weekend??

Post more details B. like what is it?? Open 1/2A flying wing??
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Well, it weighs in at a not so scant 25.5 ozs with that big ol' 3s battery. I'd like to fly it, but im not going to risk all those exposed electrons in the snow...

Its a set of cores from mike. 9.25" root chord, 7.25 in tip chord. Works out to be about 350 squares i think. Has the russian aerofoil. Beyond that its just regular combat plane build techniques. Rods top and bottom, tape, elevons are taped on.

It is honestly terrifying to hold when it suns up, more frightening than any of my speed planes, and they turn upwards of 40k rpm sometimes!!!
rdc767

Post by rdc767 »

U G L Y
boiler

Post by boiler »

You ought to know Ron.[:D][;)]
ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

I still think it is beautiful. It will look better covered in streamer. It looks like an old king combat.
Wing area wins. Everything else is drag.

-Pete
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheKid</i>
<br /> I'd like to fly it, but im not going to risk all those exposed electrons in the snow...

It is honestly terrifying to hold when it suns up, more frightening than any of my speed planes, and they turn upwards of 40k rpm sometimes!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dont let it touch the snow, just do your Zaggi grab!!

How fast is it on paper?? Looks like fun!!
lightning

Post by lightning »

I think we should move this to the "Old Sparky" Forum[}:)][}:)][}:)]
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Oops, I didn't notice I was logged on as Brian, so I need to repost: I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE, I've tried to contain myself but it just won't stay in.... CARAVONA and NIPPLEONI calling someone's plane UGLY?!?!? THAT'S FUNNY RIGHT THERE!!!!!
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Mike, with a 6x4 i'd think 100 mph wouldn't be too big of a stretch. I don't know if i could handle this thing at those kind of speeds though, to be honest. A full blow russian plane is bad enough, and those are a lot bigger and go less than 100!

I'll probably take it easy and just go with a 5.7x3 prop, which oughtta get around 70-80 mph pretty easily. Im certain it would be competitive in open B, it would definately keep up with the big boys, its just i couldnt fit enough batteries to make it last 5 minutes.

Lol, do the zagi grab. I tried to talk my dad into that one. I think this plane will land a little too hot to do that. Im not really afraid of landing, i think it woul dbe fine to land on the street, but its the launching that scares me. I've had enough nose ins with my Open russian wings that i don't want to risk it. With enough luck the snow will melt around the first of the year and i'll give it a go then...

In the mean time this is what I built in the last couple days. Weighs in at 7 oz ready to whip. Its a DLG. Nothing exciting, just something to mess around with. Though i did make "live hinges" for the first time. Much easier and cleaner than tape

Oh, and when i wasn't building that, we got 16 wings together, from just cores to leading edges and everything, ready to tape. I think you can say the gilkey assembly line is ROLLIN!!

Return to “My plane is better than yours because...”