My plane is better than yours because,its smaller

So you got a hot plane, eh? Tell us why you think you're gonna be Top Gun this year!

Moderator: hbartel

TheKid

Post by TheKid »

I don't know if you've seen the russian wings that mike cuts lee, but they fly with no reflex (don't ask me how its possible asi know most wings need them). I tried the first test flight of my open B planes with a little reflex and i had hardly enough elevator to keep the nose down...

You may be righ, but the throws are very small as is. Maybe 1/8" up and down. The elevons are pretty small though.

Mike, i was flying in the back of my subdivision. Its just big enough for this plane, maybe a zagi. You could fly a combat plane there too, but definately not one of my other, heavier projects. Houses are going up, so im sure it'll disappear soon enough...
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Well it`s just a theory and you know how those are. Maybe right and maybe wrong. I`ve had the same thing on some early symmetrical airfoil RC combat planes. I`ve also seen CL combat planes that did the same thing. I`ve never seen it happen with my RC stuff with Clark-Y type airfoils.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

When you use the clark Y do you have as good of negative G handling as positive, lee? It seems as though the flat bottom may hinder the ability to flip between both.

It looks like we're going to get a bunch more snow tonight, so this bad boy is going to be put into the hanger until spring. I really wanted to get it out too and try the new power system and try messing with some different thrust angles...
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I wondered the same thing. My "conventional wisdom" always told me that airfoils like Clark Y-H would not do as well in negative g, is that the case? Strangely, Brian tells me his RWs (including the full size) do BETTER in negative g.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

They push good enough to get a quick cut if it`s right there below you, but no, full outside loops are two or three times the size of the inside loops. Doesn`t seem to hurt my scores though.

Most cuts are made using positive manuvers or silght heading corrections followed by flying straight through the streamer, so I don`t miss the full outside. Also most darget drones don`t go around pushing into negative g manuvers.

Inverted flight is no issue, they do that fine. But if you`d miss your outside manuvers, the Clatk-Y isn`t for you.

However, other semisymetrical airfoils work just fine on wings, and would have better outside performance. The commonly used foils like those on the Avenger and Battle Axe might be a happy medium. Just a thought.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Just thought of something else. Airflow over the wing is very important of course, but even more-so on a FW. If the covering is loose, the hinge job poorly done, or there are major obstructions (like battery humps), those can kill enough lift so that they might be causing the skipping through the manuvers.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Yikes, looks like my battery mount has to go!! I thought that was pretty slick as it only sticks up about 1/4", oh well. I mounted the new power system differently. The battery no runs lengthwise, and the old pocket where the battery sits has been taped over, hopefully this will do the trick. If not then im lost as to what to do...

Opps, this was brian. I posted as my dad on accident, sorry
Vapor52

Post by Vapor52 »

actually not that hard to tell who it is!!!!
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Hey gilette, just another suggestion for your 16/15/3. This is my next project coming down the pipe, after i finish the 3 planes im still in the process of finishing up. Its like im turning into one of those people that likes to build and not fly [:0]

Your mega would be pretty comfortable in this cruising at around 135...

M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

Thats slick!! What is it?? Looks Hot Liner-ish. Look how thin the wing is, Cool!! 135 eh?? hmmmm.
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheKid</i>
<br />Hey gilette, just another suggestion for your 16/15/3. This is my next project coming down the pipe, after i finish the 3 planes im still in the process of finishing up.

Your mega would be pretty comfortable in this cruising at around 135...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

So with a wing that thin, you're not going to need any Tanglefoot to the LE, are you...

Aren't you in college? Or is plane building a requirement for your AMA scholarship? [8D]

Or is this really Scott -- what am I thinking, that plane is too pretty to be one of Scott's.

-= Dave
mad

Post by mad »

Looks a lot like the old Hobby Lobby race rat
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Its called an Escape. Its an F5D (read as FAI level electric pylon plane) pylon racer, built out of the goodies of FG, Carbon, and a little bit of balsa.

The discussion over it can be found here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653406

When im finished it'll be a 180+ mph rocket ship shooting for the stars! I hope to be able to bring it down the hillside come summer to one of the Q500 races they have, just to scare everyone off [:D]

Yes i am in college, just think of it as my research project into electrical engineering, and a lab in problem solving!! When you look at something like this you take for granted how easy and carefree building a combat plane is!
M. Gillette

Post by M. Gillette »

You going to be able to turn that thing in 600'?? To Denny that will just be a fancy combat plane without landing gear. An E setup sure would make Pylon life easier. Have you messed around with A123 cells yet?? Quicker charge times.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Oh yeah, it should turn just as well as any other pylon plane. I wouldn't expect denny to let me race it, but i would like to take it for a trip around the pylon, just to see how things go, im sure it would look and sound awesome

I've never used A123, but lee has used it pretty heavily in some of his hi-po edfs. The faster charge time is good, but they are not very energy dense in relation to Lipos, although they still trump niXX. A lot of the premiere brands of lipo manufacturers are not coming out with 5C charge packs, and just about every cell released in the last year is capable of 2C with the right charger. The biggest problem is finding a charger to keep up with the batteries, as most are limited to ~150 watts. Thats a 2.5Ah 11.1V pack at about 5C, so anything bigger then that and the charger would be the slow part...

Neumotors is coming out with some 40C constant 80C burst cells that charge at 5C come spring. I might have to actually get one of those, instead of the cheap stuff i usually get...

Return to “My plane is better than yours because...”