Park Flier Combat

Here's the place to talk about "Light" electric combat limited to Open designs with brushed motors.

Moderator: hbartel

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

A couple of guys were flying Park zone T28's last weekend. They were urged to tie on some steamers (just happen to have a couple) they were hooked. I dont know if they will show up at a contest but it was fun to watch. BTW they did mid air. Thats about as close as you can get to RTF 3696 (they are 44" wing)
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />Todd, I think your summation is pretty close except for a few points.

Good 3696 power components cost.....motors $25, esc $20, battery $20. Almost the same as the park flier types.( a group buy from Hobby City would be a good way to go) One guy or a smart LHS might even step up and stock these units for a small profit)

I`s much safer than regular combat, not the same.

Could be built out of EPP if you wanted too, but not needed for a durable plane.

As far as kits go, yes the kits available are being priced at $60-$70, but scratch building is so easy with these. Wiht what you guys have done with your Mig building parties.... a few guys could get together and cut out 20 kits in a matter of a few hours. You could use the same wing cores and build 3 or 4 different types just by changing the shape of the fuselage and tail feathers.

Advantages of 3696 are these.

It`s like "real" combat. I`ve flown park flier combat and it`s normally just a furball frenzy.

You can have good combat in any winds that SSC combat can be flown in.

With Park fliers, anything over a 10mph wind and you might as well not fly.

It`s a good stepping stone to other RCCA events (same safety lines and combat zone).

Any competant 12 year old pilot could fly without dad`s assistance.(and Dad wouldn`t have to worry)

In general...much more fun than the park fliers. But that`s just IMHO

I`m just saying give it some thought. I`ve done both, and 3696 is much more fun in my eyes.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks for the insight. Your response was very helpful. I intend to look a little further into the possibility of doing some 3696.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

the foamies look fun, I could do that at my house with my kids and get some practice in
THend

Post by THend »

Todd, we can bang out 3696 style scale-esque warbirds pretty darn easy. If you REALLY want to do this, talk to me in person and let's work out the means to get it done.

I think the minor increase in effort will be worth it.

However, I may fly an oddball like the Manta..[:D]
cosmo64

Post by cosmo64 »

Terry and Todd,

I would be interested in electric combat as well, Keep me in the loop as far as a build party, I have lots of space available at my Hangar at French Valley! or any other help I could give. Another good thing about doing a 3696 - scores would count! I think I could drum up some interest at Temecula for the electrics.

Terry fly an oddball???

PS - I could use some help with posting my avatar - How do you do it on this forum??

Thanks
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cosmo64</i>
<br />Terry and Todd,

I would be interested in electric combat as well, Keep me in the loop as far as a build party, I have lots of space available at my Hangar at French Valley! or any other help I could give. Another good thing about doing a 3696 - scores would count! I think I could drum up some interest at Temecula for the electrics.

Terry fly an oddball???

PS - I could use some help with posting my avatar - How do you do it on this forum??

Thanks

I will keep you up to date as we make progress on 3696 or just check back here or at the pfcombat web site for details.

As for the Avatar just add an image to your signature in the profile section. You will need to host the image somewhere like your own web site. Then just include the HTML command in your signature to point to your image. Mine looks like the code below but the parenthesis need to be replaced with brackets. So [img] instead of (img).

(img)http://members.cox.net/pfcombat/index_f ... .JPG(/img)
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by THend</i>
<br />Todd, we can bang out 3696 style scale-esque warbirds pretty darn easy. If you REALLY want to do this, talk to me in person and let's work out the means to get it done.

I think that the 3696 would really draw in some combat flyers. Yes I am very interested in banging out a few planes with you. I would REALLY like to work on a scale-esque P-40, P-47, P-51 or Spitire. I'd love to see the electric guys in our club join in on the combat action. This can be the start of making that a reality.

As far as getting together and making it happen. I have no means of contacting you except in person, via Butch, or if you contact me via the PFCombat web site.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by THend</i>
<br />Todd, we can bang out 3696 style scale-esque warbirds pretty darn easy. If you REALLY want to do this, talk to me in person and let's work out the means to get it done.

By The Way...

The Manta looks like a CG nightmare. Are you sure that thing even flys? I think it is just something they put together to be different down at Area-51. Good luck with that one. LOL
cosmo64

Post by cosmo64 »

Thanks, Todd
cosmo64

Post by cosmo64 »

Hey Guys, I spoke with the guys from Common Sense R/C about making a package that is affordable motor-esc for electric combat. They were interested but need to know the specs of what is needed. Let me know and I will see what we can do as far as cost goes.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Yikes! Their prices seem a little high (or maybe im just cheap...)

It seems as though you could get things a lot cheaper from a place like HC, even if you shippind it from china to here, back to china and back to here again, lol

Just a thought, a similar battery and motor as compared to one on that site is probably half as much if you go to hobby city. Through in some $3.75 servos and you could set up a plane for about 50 bucks i would bet! Just something to look into
cosmo64

Post by cosmo64 »

I beleive you get what you pay for. Of all the major brands I found the common sense stuff to be of good quality, good value and have not been dissapointed by its performance. I can't say the same about some of the bargain basement stuff off the internet. I hate to have equipment failure especially because I was trying to save a buck.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cosmo64</i>
<br />I beleive you get what you pay for. Of all the major brands I found the common sense stuff to be of good quality, good value and have not been dissapointed by its performance. I can't say the same about some of the bargain basement stuff off the internet. I hate to have equipment failure especially because I was trying to save a buck.

I will pull together what I think we need when I get a little time. I spoke with the common sense guys at the AMA convention. Tried to price thier motors against a Turnigy Tr35-30-B and the Himodel BM2908. They were about $15 more. Is thier motor $15 better? I sure don't know. I just bought a really nice scorpion motor for about the same price as the common sense motor. I am liking it so far. I am not much of the cheap type either but I think you have to have a cheap alternative for the guys that are.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

My experience has been good with the "bargain basement" stuff. I know this is not true for all people though. I agree though that you need a cheap alternative though. For the price of a common sense motor or scorpion you could have a fleet of HC planes...

Lee Liddle won the nats on cheap stuff, and he flew how many hundred rounds this year?

I have used all cheap stuff in my planes except the motor, I usually spend the extra bucks on that cause im looking for all the power possible. For a combat plane where you don't really have to push the power, it is not so important to have the best of the best motors.

Not trying to convince anyone here. People can spend money where they want to spend it, but its just a cheaper alternative to consider
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<br />Hey Guys, I spoke with the guys from Common Sense R/C about making a package that is affordable motor-esc for electric combat. They were interested but need to know the specs of what is needed. Let me know and I will see what we can do as far as cost goes.

I know I can find cheaper prices than those listed below but I think the price ranges should allow us to get pretty good equipment. What is your opinion. The total package price should be less than $125.00. I think we need something like the following...

<u><b>Motor</b></u> <font color="red">Less than $40.00</font id="red">
Brushless Outrunner
Input Voltage : 11.1V 3S Li-po
KV : 1400 rpm/V
Current capacity : 22A/60s
Dimensions : 35mm X 30mm
Recommended model weight : 21~45oz

<b><u>ESC</u></b> <font color="red">Less than $40.00 </font id="red">
25 amp Brushless Electronic Speed Control

<u><b>Battery</b></u> <font color="red">Less than $50.00</font id="red">
2100mAh 3-Cell 11.1V LiPo 15C

Return to “"Light" Electric Combat”