Park Flier Combat

Here's the place to talk about "Light" electric combat limited to Open designs with brushed motors.

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

The kv is too high on that motor. The motor should be between 1000 and 1100 kv. There are good motor options listed in the 3696 power system thread. BTW, if you spend more than $20 for and esc and $25 for a 2100mah 3s battery, you are padding someone`s pockets. And I recommend using at least a 30a esc.

You should read the 3696 threads, Lots of good info there.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />The kv is too high on that motor. The motor should be between 1000 and 1100 kv. There are good motor options listed in the 3696 power system thread. BTW, if you spend more than $20 for and esc and $25 for a 2100mah 3s battery, you are padding someone`s pockets. And I recommend using at least a 30a esc.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I was hoping that you would chime in with whatever corrections needed to be included. [:)]
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />The kv is too high on that motor. The motor should be between 1000 and 1100 kv. There are good motor options listed in the 3696 power system thread. BTW, if you spend more than $20 for and esc and $25 for a 2100mah 3s battery, you are padding someone`s pockets. And I recommend using at least a 30a esc.

So what problem would having the higher motor KV create?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Todd, let me ask you this. Do you understand what the KV rating represents? Or how it effects what a motor will do in a given situation?
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

You can get a 40a ESC from HC for i think 11 dollars. and on a good day you can get a 2200 mah 15C battery for 18 dollars or so, maybe even a 20C for the same...

padding packets, i like that one!
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<br />Todd, let me ask you this. Do you understand what the KV rating represents? Or how it effects what a motor will do in a given situation?

I probably don't understand it as well as I should. What is the difference in amps that extra 300 kv/rpm would make? What significant effect will having a little more power consumption have? I assume that the prop will be able to spin at a higher rpm and the amperage will go up with the higher kv. All the components can handle the extra amps so is teh extra speed of the prop the problem?

It all changes a little when you have a spec prop and you are trying to match the motor to meet the RPM spec. (instead of just proping down to redcuce the amp draw)
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheKid</i>
<br />You can get a 40a ESC from HC for i think 11 dollars. and on a good day you can get a 2200 mah 15C battery for 18 dollars or so, maybe even a 20C for the same...

padding packets, i like that one!

Yea I have friends that sell 20C lipos for those kinda prices. I have been to HC. Seems unreal how cheaply price some of thier stuff is. Great deals. With that said I would expect to pay a little more for common sense stuff. Like I said before is it $15.00 better? I am sure not the one to ask. I just look at the pretty shrink wrap colors and the nice tin box that the scorpions come in and that sure seems worth $15.00 to me. Did you see that cool sticker they give you with every motor? That's gotta be worth $15.00.[:D]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Scorpion motors are quality products and have taken outrunners to new levels of performance and reliability. However, for 3696 they are overkill. The inexpensive motors listed on the 3696 power system thread can do the job well for about $25 per unit.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Todd, on the KV... since we have a 9k rpm limit, you want to find a motor that will give you between 9k and 10k at full stick on the 3s battery. Yes, you could probably dial the throttle EPA back enough to slow the 1400kv motor down enough to work, but you loose efficiency in the form of excess heat in both the motor and the esc.

If you go up to about 1700kv you might be able to use a 2 cell battery, but then your amps will be much higher and so you`ll need bigger cells, like 3000mah.

1050kv seems to be just about perfect. 1000kv will work if you have good batteries.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

It depends on the motor as well. I have a BPHobbies outrunner-28mmx33mm that is 1250kv, and it slings a 9x6 right at 9050RPMs...I guess what I'm trying to say is a lower quality or smaller motor is going to need a higher kv rating.

BUT

Every 3696 plane I have built has been tail heavy...so using a 36mm outrunner of 1000-1100 would help, due to the weight needed to balance.

I agree with Lee.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

That`s true. I am assuming a 36mm motor that weighs about 3.5oz. the smaller lighter motors do need a higher kv. I think it`s because they are working above their range of best efficiency.
the larger motors are in their "comfort zone" so they produce rpms closer to their kv rating.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<br />That`s true. I am assuming a 36mm motor that weighs about 3.5oz. the smaller lighter motors do need a higher kv. I think it`s because they are working above their range of best efficiency.
the larger motors are in their "comfort zone" so they produce rpms closer to their kv rating.

Great replys guys. I thik I am gonna try the cheaper BPhobbies motors unless Glenn comes up with a real winner for us. Thanks for the insight.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Hey, just one more thing. If you're going to look at bphobbies, you might look at lightflightrc.com. They have the same motors as BP has (though BP changes the name for them), but for slightly less. But better then that lightflightrc offers a discount on their escs when you order a motor. They take something like 1-2 dollars off. Just another way to save a buck, and something you can check into

Brian
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Light Flight has good products and great service.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Return to “"Light" Electric Combat”