Open style airframe with a 3696 power system.

Want to discuss OPEN electric combat items? Come on in! This is the place.

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Well I finally got around to "building" a 48" Falcon for a 3696 power system. Basic Specs are:

Span.....48"
Area..aprox 400 sq in
RTF weight...28oz
Motor...Turnigy SK 35-30-1100 $18
ESC... 2s-3s 30a w/bec $12
Batt... 20c 3s 2200 $16
Servos... Tower Pro 9g nylon gears $3
Prop 9/6 APC-e style
Power...pulls 18a on 11v...aprox 200 watts

It flies great. Similar in speed to 3696. Very manuverable. It may turn too well. A higher min weight might be better, maybe 32oz to 34oz. This plane could handle 20mph winds and still fly combat. Maybe less wing area, say 350 sq in or so, but overall it`s a great power system for this basic size of open airframe. When I get a chance to take some video, I`ll post it.

TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Lee, i'd like to see a video of your mini-falcon flying! It looks like it could be a very fun plane to keep the reactions sharp. And I know you're good and all, but don't you think it would help to fly with two propellor blades instead of one [:o)]

PS, could my stryker compete in the parkflier combat class?
http://vimeo.com/6785947
An APC 6.5x6.5 at 28k rpm makes stykers lots of fun to fly [:D]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

LOL, I knew some smart arse would comment on my prop modification.

I`ll try to go out and do a quick video after the Cowboys finish getting their arses kicked.
The speed/manuverability very closly mimicks a good SSC. It`s a little slower, but because it`s smaller, it gives the same "feel"

Another good thing about it is that it`s very quiet, unlike SSC. So it can be flown in any small lot, and won`t bother anyone. The electric SSC`s are just as noisy as the ic planes.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">PS, could my stryker compete in the parkflier combat class?
http://vimeo.com/6785947
An APC 6.5x6.5 at 28k rpm makes stykers lots of fun to fly <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Badass Stryker Brian. You may have a little trouble with overshooting the streamers with that thing.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I`m uploading video of the Mini E-Falcon on youtube. Busy time on youtube, it looks like it will take almost an hour to upload. Will post a link when it`s done.

Here`s the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcQwZ1Q71YE
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

Lee, the video looks really good and the plane really really looks like fun to fly. It definitely has the all the agility that you'd want and in the classic Falcon design!

Great job on a smaller form factor.
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Lee:

Bring those things out to the contest on Saturday and let's see how they fly.

I don't get home from this trip until Wednesday, so I don't know if I can get a i.c. Cobra II done in time, but I'll try.
Which_way_is_up

Got a chance to fly the "Mini e-Falcon" this weekend after the Fall North Dallas Combat event. I've not had my hands on the "sticks" in three years but I've got to say this is a really sweet flying plane. This will be one of the first planes I get built so that I can get some serious stick time in before the new combat season starts. This design is a "no brainer" for simplicity and performance.

Lee thanks for letting me have some stick time with this. I really enjoyed the whole day of combat but flying this at the end of the day was the "cherry on top"! [:D]
Which_way_is_up

Went out to the garage this morning looking for wing cores for a open e-3696 plane and guess what I found in the piles! A five year old project that may have been before it's time! My own "mini-me" cobra that I built out of EPP foam and using a Norvel .061 engine with bladder. I flew it a few times back July of 2004 but the engine was just to finicky and it was slow. Not exactly the "pocket rocket" I was hoping for. It weighs 22oz before I pull the engine and add the "electrics" so it may be heavier then optimal but definitely worth making a tongue extension for it and giving it a try. Sure beats building one from scratch!

Time to get out the soldering iron and get to work. I'm excited again!

jpmorere

Post by jpmorere »

I flew Lee's plane last Saturday and it is a blast to fly. The speed is the same as 3696 (DUH!) :) and it is really quick on the sticks. Being a Nurflugel it is much quicker and lighter feeling than the 3696 scale birds. Combat with these might be a real bash fest as they turn so tight that you would likely end up flying a tight furball, still, survivability would probably be pretty good.

The 3696 power systems are already well proven, so nothing new there. I do think that a minimum weight around 32~34 oz would be good. Might be good to spec a MAXIMUM wing area as well - have to work on that number. Maybe 360 sq in?? (2.5 sq ft) Hey, Lee... How many squares on that little Falcon? Roy: how many swuares on that Mini Cobra? That one should fly pretty good.

J.P.
Which_way_is_up

Took the engine tongue off and weighed the plane and it came in at 16.5oz and so it may come in at a decent weight after all with the electrics.

Measured the wing and it looks like the wing area comes in at around 385sq in.

Weighed the motor and motor hardware and 3 cell battery and they come in at 10oz. So it looks like I've got 6oz for motor mount and esc to come in at 32oz. I think that it's doable. [:p]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Glad you guys enjoyed flying the little Falcon, it`s my pleasure to introduce guys to such a simple/great flying plane.

Note to anyone reading this. I`ll have the plane at the next two meets in Sherman. If you`d like to fly it, please just let me know, that`s what it`s there for. I think we could have a lot of fun with this type of plane whether or not we ever go beyond just a fun unofficial event. Maybe soon we`ll have three or four up at once. I let Scott take it home with him to reverse engineer if he gets time. Maybe he has some old Falcon cores that he could make one with, and Bob already has his own design built. Add Roy`s mini Cobra and we could have some fun.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

JP the area on my mini Falcon is about 400 sq in. I think that if we go 48" on the span, anything less than about 400 sq in will result in a very high aspect ratio wing, and probably less durable.

If we go less than 400, then maybe we should limit span to 42" or 44". Lower aspect ratio wings will develop a little more drag in the turns and should be more survivable.

Roy, I`m sure your mini Cobra will make a great E conversion. I would recommend cutting the tongue off completely and going with the rubber band attached fuselage. That one mod to the Falcon/Cobra has made the biggest improvement in the survivability of the current airframes.
Papabear1

Post by Papabear1 »

I think this Class could have some real legs. I love my Nitro, but if I can get in cheap, this would be a e-class I would be interested in flying. Maybe we could put a few unofficial, fun day at the field events together in the off season to see what happens.
Which_way_is_up

I've been chasing my tail trying to getting 3 and 4 year old transmitter batteries cycled and usable again, new receiver battery packs made, new electric stuff like motors lipo batteries, chargers, etc., ordered. I finally got a beta motor adapter made for the "mini-me" Cobra. Decided to make an aluminum slide to fit on the tongue, though not the best design, it was a fast adaption to the existing construction of the "mini-me". Not sure what the final length will be on the slide but I think I made it long enough that I can shorten it as needed to get the CG right! Next I need to cut and fill wing slots for the old bladder cavity and the new battery cavity.

Next I've got to read the new charger manual and get a couple of the new lipo batteries charged so that I can make my first attempt at programing a ESC.

If this works out well then I've got an SSC Cobra to retro-fit and a "fence post" SSC that might go electric too! I'm glad I didn't throw any thing out when I last cleaned the garage! [:p]