3696 Kits

You got a cool electric WWII combat rig? This is the place to show it off!

Moderator: hbartel

tmelton

3696 Kits

Post by tmelton »

Is there anyone still manufacturing kits made for 3696 combat. I have seen a few posted here but it has been awhile so I thought I'd ask if there have been any updates. I saw the Flugwerks planes, a hattrick p-51, and the one Hellcat ARF posted here. Are you guys still making planes?
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Texasflugwerks has the Zero, FW-190 and now the P-39.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />Texasflugwerks has the Zero, FW-190 and now the P-39.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

So what do they cost & how complete are the kits? I really like the looks of both of the 2 I saw. I did not see the p-39.
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ed Kettler</i>
<br />Texasflugwerks has the Zero, FW-190 and now the P-39.

I have both the 190 and the Zero which come as a very complete and easy to assemble kit and are really sweet fliers. I recommend Texas Flugwerks.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

The 3696 kits are $65 plus shipping. The P-39 is still in development, waiting on cowling and canopy, but it has been test flown already with temporary equipment.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

Thanks Ed,

I guess the next step is to see if anybody is even going to fly some 3696 in my club. I think combat is pretty dull with only one plane flying. It is sometimes pretty hard to get people to comit to building and flying combat. Maybe the thing to do will be to get some going as a demo.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Great idea! Fly yours often, let a buddy try it. Build two, put on different channels, and let someone try to cut your streamer; they will see how fun and challenging it is, and may get bitten by the "combat bug"[:D]
ptsullivan

Post by ptsullivan »

Todd,
As soon as I get my open-b ships in shape for '09 I might want to try some 3696 combat.
Ed's zero kit looks pretty nice.

-Pete
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ptsullivan</i>
<br />Todd,
As soon as I get my open-b ships in shape for '09 I might want to try some 3696 combat.

-Pete

I was thinking the FW was the one for me. [:D] We will just have to see if Area 52 gets back into production.

So what about the flat foamie combat? Do you think you might want to give it a try? It's looking like the perfect precursor to 3696. We are sizing the power package so we can rip it right out of our crashed flat foamie and slap it into a 3696 ship. I have gotten the whole power package, plane, and reciever cost to less than $200.00. I have been flying mine and it seems like it is gonna be a kick!!! [:D]

Details can be found at http://members.cox.net/pfcombat/ or on the forum at http://pfcombat.hyperboards.com/index.php
jj

Post by jj »

The Flugwerks kits are Very nice. Almost too nice for combat.

Flat foam combat just does not compare with a good flying 3696 plane. Whole different experience.
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ptsullivan</i>
<br />Todd,

-Pete

Pete,

That's kinda what I am thinking also. Get all the other classes in order first and whatever time I have left use for 3696. I REALLY want to get 3696 going but I have tons of stuff going with the web site, foamie combat, and getting ready for 2009 SSC & Open B. It's gonna be BIG FUN whatever it is for 2009!!![:D]
tmelton

Post by tmelton »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jj</i>
<br />The Flugwerks kits are Very nice. Almost too nice for combat.

Flat foam combat just does not compare with a good flying 3696 plane. Whole different experience.

Well I say flat foam but the planes fly more like a normal plane. The wings are not flat and the fuse is stiff enough to fly straight and fast. We put the 3696 power systems (35mm 1100 KV outrunner, 30 amp ESC, 9x6 prop, and 1500 - 2100 mah 20C battery) in the flat foamies we are flying. I would bet that the flat foam planes we are flying are not what you would expect out of a regular flat foamie. The only differences between our flat foam planes and a 3696 plane is more drag, less weight, cheaper cost, only a few hours to build, and after a midair I can just glue mine back together.

But I guess you are correct in saying that a nice flying 3696 plane is a whole different experience. I plan to do both. I hope to get a Flugwerks 3696 plane and find out what I am missing. Even if the foam planes fly great they are never gonna look as cool as a Flugwerks 3696 plane. [:D]
Rabbit Leader

Post by Rabbit Leader »

My old Brewster has...lessee..2 or 3 midairs, a couple of dirtnaps, about 30-40 rounds of combat and about another 40 just for fun flights on her and she still looks good. Only reason she's not flying right now is that her reciever is in an old-timer..

However, a flat foam plane with a decent airfoil and the same power package as a 3696 might be fun!! I just happen to like full fuselage planes..believe it or not, it's easier to me to install radio systems in a full bodied plane than a profile..it's a mental thing, I think..[:p]
Cash
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I actually have been pondering building a flat foamie out of 1 inch blue foam, because I can get it basically for free...I was planning on sanding the leading edge to a rounder shape, or maybe even cutting a flat bottom airfoil on it. It's difficult for my feather cut to do a full airfoil on 1 inch foam, even if the airfoil isn't anywhere near 1 inch thick...

Return to “Electric WWII Fighters”