Grey/Silver covering tape?

Share your ideas on finishing, painting, markings and making your plane look its best!

Moderator: hbartel

gsjames

Grey/Silver covering tape?

Post by gsjames »

Where can I buy grey or silver packing tape to cover my 2548 P-51's? Neither Fast-Pack or Uline seem to carry it? Thanks!
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

www.jkaerotech.com carried gray at one time, but haven't been able to get it in a while. I think the company that manufactured it stopped making gray. JKA also carried a chrome Mylar tape, but it doesn't seem they have that any more, either.

Hobby People also used to carry Liftech tape, but their color choice is limited now.

As far as I can tell, it looks like no one carries gray tape anymore. You can get chrome foil tape, but it's heavy and would probably seriously cause radio issues.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

I know duct tape is too heavy but maybe some of the cheap import stuff might be lighter than the good domestic stuff
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Do not bury the antenna under mylar tape. Ask me how I know[:I]

JKAerotech is the only place I have found the gray tape.

Ed
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

Hardware stores carry a sticky-backed aluminum foil that I've used for house ducts. It's like 2x the thickness of heavy duty kitchen foil, has a backing paper you remove to expose the adhesive. It's really sticky, but might show wrinkles easily unless you're careful. I've never used it on a plane.

Donduck73

Post by Donduck73 »

I have just recently used Black Baron Covering on a Ki-43 Oscar. It is sticking to the Foam really good. It also takes very little heat to get it to remove wrinkles. I have been using the Silver which looks really good. They do not make a Green yet.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... lack+baron
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I once bought a roll of aluminum tape at WM made for fixing AC ducts...I actually did cover a plane with it, but never flew it or weighed it, so I couldn't tell you what the results were...but it looked shiny!
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Looks like I'm going to to be stuck with having to use a low-heat iron-on film. $$$ Rats! Well, at least the planes aren't all that big.
Dane McGee

Post by Dane McGee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gsjames</i>
<br />Looks like I'm going to to be stuck with having to use a low-heat iron-on film. $$$ Rats! Well, at least the planes aren't all that big.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Gary, I haven't been able to find any gray colored tape either. I still have a couple of rolls left from an order from hobby people, but I expect I'll probably use black baron film on my next 2548 birds.
crash_out

Post by crash_out »

I got tired of trying to find the right colors for the warbirds, so I just bought a bunch of white Tower/Econcote and scour the home improvement stores and the local Hobby Lobby looking for paint. The Testors model paint is kind of expensive, but they have almost all the right colors for warbirds, and if you cover in several light coats, it goes on well. I'm working on a desert scheme Bf-109 right now, and the Afrika Mustard looks great.

Of course, all mine are electric, so I don't have to worry about the paint being attacked by fuel...
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I was going to say, if you go e-power Gary, you can paint it with Fusion or any other "plastic" paint, and it works great. I have a tri-colored camo scheme on my reworked Skyraider. It looks pretty good, and the paint is cheap like Nick said.
THend

Post by THend »

My Spitfire is painted tape. After painting, let is sit for a day or two, then spray it with the clear fuelproof stuff from the hobby shop. I do it in a few light coats and seems to hold up very well.