Cris Handegard's KI-43 OSCAR

All things related to 2548 Scale

Moderator: hbartel

Don Holmes

Re: Cris Handegard's KI-43 OSCAR

Post by Don Holmes »

Dave, the Oscars looked and flew flawlessly, You had me concerned. The tree has grabbed many a plane. I had my Oscar on stand-by but the P-47 took care of busness.
I was impressed with the electric Oscar.

See you on the 13th
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
dditch

Post by dditch »

thx Don,

Eletric Oscar is almost back together.

For smacking into a tree, there was little structural damage to the fuse. Other than the small dent in the wing. After rebuilding, I see the flaw in my assembly. I left little BiDi tape wrapped to the firewall. The battery easily pushed the firewall off causing the little amount of bidi tape to pry off. BiDi did not rip, the little that was wrapped to the firewall just came unadhered. On the rebuild, the BiDi is wrapped ALL THE WAY across the firewall. I cut the BiDi into smaller 1" strips and almost completly rotated around the firewall. Cut out holes for the blind nut entry, air intake and wire entry. It will be more rugged now. Total cost of repair was the purchase of the plywood which I needed anyway. Motor, ESC and all other electronics tested good spinning up the motor and prop already mounted on the repaired plane. Watch out Don, Electric Oscar will be back in the air on the 13th! Bonzai!
Don Holmes

Post by Don Holmes »

I wrap the di bi around the nose as you said , cut it every 3/4 inch and push it over on the firewall, 2 part epoxy the nose, I drill down thru the firewall and 3 inches deep into the fuselage and 2 part epoxy a 1/4 inch wood dowel left and right side. That is what I did when my firewall came off in a mid-air with Kirk at the last 2548 The dowels going down it the fuselage really tighten up the firewall.
The Photos look good! thank you

I think my Zero is coming out for the Street Brawl she has not seen action this year.
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
dditch

Post by dditch »

Photos of the electric rebuild. I like the motor mount better this time. Firewall has vent hole to let air get to battery on bottom.
Slots to allow ESC and BEC servo wires enter fuse. 3mm Blind nuts spaced to fit my spacer plate.
Spacer plate was drilled to accept the Turnigy 4240 900KV motor as well as a Monster Power 25 which have different spacing on the X mount.
They will also require different tube spacers. I"m flying the Turnigy 4240 for now. Have not tried the Monster Power 25 but the KV on it (890) is correct for this size plane and 6S batteries.
Added fiberglass rod to keep battery from pushing forward on impact.
Added fiberglass rod to keep battery from pushing forward on impact.
101_4816.JPG (228.61 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
BiDi tape wrapped across entire fire wall, Spacer plate to push motor out and allow ESC underneith.
BiDi tape wrapped across entire fire wall, Spacer plate to push motor out and allow ESC underneith.
101_4826.JPG (339.18 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
Backside of new firewall.
Backside of new firewall.
101_4818.JPG (424.05 KiB) Viewed 14075 times
combatgoblin

Post by combatgoblin »

Dditch,
I just finished a P-39 as I wanted to build as light as I could to see if I could go electric it weighs 36 ounces ready to fly with a nitro motor,the lightest I got a KI-43 to weight was 50 ounces rtf .Looking online the weight of the drive train would be about 32 ounces,how much does the system your using weight?
Don Fourson 386
dditch

Post by dditch »

combatgoblin wrote:Dditch,
I just finished a P-39 as I wanted to build as light as I could to see if I could go electric it weighs 36 ounces ready to fly with a nitro motor,the lightest I got a KI-43 to weight was 50 ounces rtf .Looking online the weight of the drive train would be about 32 ounces,how much does the system your using weight?
With battery, the Electrics I've found to always be heavier in SSC.
For the Ki-43 with my electric setup and the battery installed (Gens Ace 6S 3300mAh 25C), it was 3.6lbs
The battery I used was the absolute minimum capacity I think I'd use for combat. I have a 3000mAh nanotech that is lighter by about 2oz but I will try to avoid using it. If I do, I'll have to throttle back during combat at times to keep the mAh usage down. Maybe over the winter, I'll find a motor that is more efficient.
dditch

Post by dditch »

I flew the Electric Oscar today. First flight after the rebuild. Flew like new.

BTW, the Nitro Oscar I just weighed at 3.29lb dry. Both have BiDi tape pretty much completely around the entire Foam fuse and Wing. Covering is Packing tape from Fast-Pack.
dditch

Post by dditch »

Where do I get spare cowls?
Is there a soda/juice bottle I can buy and fits?
grasshpr

Post by grasshpr »

There's no bottle I know of that will be a perfect fit with the right shape. The cowls I make start life as a 1 gal. Motts apple juice container sold at Costco here in FL. It was the only thing I could find that was big enough to squeeze over the wood plug, just, and the right consistency of plastic to draw down completely over the shape of the plug. A 3 liter soda bottle, like Mike Fredricks uses for his zero might have worked, just not sold much in this area. All I found was 2 liter which was too small. You might be able to fake it with a 3 liter soda bottle.
Chris Handegard
RCCA 481
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Chris,
The Oscar didnt make it too LSN.
But they are having a 3 day event this fall.
Gives me time too finish ALL of them and prep for SHERMAN.....( fingers crossed ) :wink:
Frank S
RCCA # 843
Parker, CO.
http://www.airscharnell.com
dditch

Post by dditch »

Can anyone tell me the CG for the Cris Handegard Oscar?
I replaced the electric motor which I know changes my CG. I can look at my Nitro one dry but I recall last contest, the CG on my 2 oscars did not match and can't recall which one was the nose heavy one.
Contest coming on the 28th and I have them both ready to fly (I think)
thx
Don Holmes

Post by Don Holmes »

The Nakajima Ki-43 (Oscar) ------------------------------------------->
Recommended CG is 2-1/2" to 2-3/4" back from leading edge.
Watch out for the Spitfire!!!
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
Don Holmes

Post by Don Holmes »

We will have to move to FLA to get any Press coverage in combat.......
Don Holmes RCCA #957
Mid Atlantic Combat
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I would like to see some pics at your battery position. I'm thinking about an electric 2948 project myself and it might give me insight for how to mount the battery.
Craig Buttery
RCCA 874
Fly it like you stole it
dditch

Post by dditch »

Thx for the CG, you saved my flight status.
Still flying one electric and one Nitro.

What's it take to write an article for RCM? I could find someone or maybe volunteer myself if someone does the pictures.
We have an active region here.