Funeral Dirge for the 25FX!!!

Check here for the latest and greatest engine modifications.

Moderator: hbartel

Cross Check

Post by Cross Check »

Hi FrankS and ChrisG,

Great news that Magnum is interested. ! ! !

The Magnum engineers did a fantastic job on the XLS.15, (anyone dispute that ?)

I know that a MagnumXLS.25 could do very well replacing the OSFX.25.

There are .25 Pylon Racers out there too...?

Plenty of votes here for a MagnumXLS.25. Tell us where to cast out our $$$s...

O.S. 'dropped the ball' discontinuing the FX.25.(Everyone who has one, just loves it !) A heavier/weaker OSAX.25 ???? What were they thinking?
Did they get bought out by an 'electric' company???

Tell us where to put our support behind a MagnumXLS.25.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

P.S. Tell them a simple muffler/ carb and a RN ! ! !
lightning

Post by lightning »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cross Check</i>
<br />O.S. 'dropped the ball' discontinuing the FX.25.(Everyone who has one, just loves it !) A heavier/weaker OSAX.25 ???? What were they thinking?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Not to mention more expensive at US$135!
Hope I have enough 25FXs as I won't be buying the AX!
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Blue Note</i>
<br />I have recently been communicating with Global on the best way to reduce the RPMs of the 15 XLS engine to make it easier to be SSC legal. They have been very helpful in this matter. More info on this in the future.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Chris, I suggested the .25 or .30 too Magnum rep.
As for turning down the .15 XLS Mag, I posted it in SSC I think.
Since I test fly @ 5800ft I did some testing with a STOCK OS LA muffler.
I used this combo at LSN 2009 this past spring. It worked very well.
On 15% Cool Power fuel I did not have too dial the barrel back.
As for my newer OS LA .15 I put the stock Mag 15 muffler on the LA which real bring up the rpm's here.
Just my testing here.
Blue Note

Post by Blue Note »

<font color="blue">My communications has confirmed that Magnum is in the process of developing the 25XLS, but don't expect it to be on the market until around February 2010 or so. They are looking into our likes and dislikes of different engines to provide an engine well suited for combat, especially since it has been brought up specifically. We currently have the ear of Magnum and they are working to fulfill our needs.

As far as the .15 XLS is concerned, swapping the Magnum muffler out for an O.S. muffler doesn't seem practical to me, unless you have an inventory of extra mufflers lying around. New comers will most likely not have that option and buying replacement mufflers is impractical and will get expensive in a hurry, not to mention it would probably in effect raise your "as flown" engine cost above the allowance. Ideally, I only need the engines detuned when flying SSC combat, in other circumstances I might want all I can get out of the engine. For this reason, other <i>temporary</i> RPM control methods are presently being tested and analyzed to accommodate the requirements imposed by varying temperature, humidity, and altitude conditions without needing an assortment of different fuels.

Overall, the Magic [8] forecasts, "Outlook Good"...</font id="blue">
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

To "de-tune" a Magnum .15XLS to bring the rpm down to the SSC limit, consider purchasing a couple extra packages of head shims. By adding a few shims, you will decrease the compression and lower the performance of the engine. Also, consider using an OS A3 plug, with my testing, I have found it to be the worst performing plug of those that I tested. you can also add an extra plug copper gasket if you are using a long"ish" plug. That will also decrease compression and lower performance.
ZenManiac

Post by ZenManiac »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fred420</i>
<br />how about 2848 [8D] new class???
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Or 2x48 [?]
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I think it would be pretty easy to get 2548 changed to commonize with Limited B at .29. This has been discussed several times but just never got the push to make it happen, now with 25FX discontinued it may be the time. A 28 will work just fine for Open B (max .30), we've been using a 25 for years! Either way, a 25 or 28XLS would be a nice addition to the available options.
boiler

Post by boiler »

We could open it to .30 with a stipulation on price like we do for SSC. That would eliminate the Jett engine or any other high price item that you might think is unfair.
cosmo64

Post by cosmo64 »

Why put the limit on an "OPEN" class...Makes no sense to me..If some one wants to run an expensive engine then let em...Isn't Limited B supposed to be the "spec" class for .25 sized combat anyway? Has anyone run the new 25AX...Besides being more expensive it may run just fine...I have to try one first...As with the other AX engines I expect the price to come down...
lightning

Post by lightning »

Glenn, take into account the AX is heavier and less power with lower peak rpm, and it does not look good, even at the same price. Add the new "box" mufflers (which fall apart on the 46AXs) and I for one am not impressed.
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

Glen, there is no limit in Open other than displacement (.30) and weight. Anybody can run a high dollar engine in Open if they want.

2548 and Lim B have the same goals (power-wise), the same spec prop and rpm, etc. It makes the most sense to commonize those two classes, I believe. LimB was capped at .29 simply because of engines such as the Jett .30. Long story not worth rehashing, since I don't see LimB displacement rules changing, it's working great and there's no need. 2548 was working great, too, until the only decent 25 disappeared. I don't see any advantage to lowering LimB to .25 since that would immediately exclude folks running Mag28XL, etc. It would be very easy to change 2548 to LimB displacement limit since that has been proven to work over several years of competition.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

the other bad thing is that needle valve on the carb. A minor hit will sheer it off and the carb case will have to be replaced. not very combat friendly.
boiler

Post by boiler »

Glen, the "open" actually refers to the style of plane. That is "non scale" Open B is therefore an open style plane with a B class (max .30 cu in)engine. As Scott says it has no dollar limit but it does have a maximum weight limit of 3.5 pounds.
cosmo64

Post by cosmo64 »

Sorry guys I should have read to whole thread...The way I took your post boiler is that you were considering putting a price limit on Open B engines..

If Magnum does produce a 28XLS I hope they make it a remote needle and improve the carb some...I am not a hugh magnum fan...Or a power box muffler fan
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

the 15XLS was a big improvement in all regards over the 15XL so I would hope the same would occur if they do a 28XLS!!! the only "problem" was the 15XLS makes so much power folks are having trouble detuning it for SSC, if the same happens with the 28XLS we'll just have to figure it out! would be nice for Open B though!