Funeral Dirge for the 25FX!!!

Check here for the latest and greatest engine modifications.

Moderator: hbartel

sgilkey

Funeral Dirge for the 25FX!!!

Post by sgilkey »

Better snatch up those 25FX ladies, even at $95 they're a steal because OS, despite denying the 25FX was going to be dropped, has introduced the 25AX. As with other engines in the AX series, it appears the engine is designed to swing larger props at lower rpm. Whether or not it will be suitable for combat remains to be seen, but at the $140 price, for me it's not suitable for much.....
Spec comparison AX to FX:
HP .8@15k vs. .84@18k (less power, at lower rpm)
WEIGHT 9.7oz vs 8.8oz (bare)
Rated rpm range up to 17k vs. up to 19k
Did I mention price $140 vs. $95

I like the AX style carb/NVA but once it breaks off it's gonna be expensive to fix, the much-disliked 25FX NVA, at least once it vbroke off, was still usable and cheap to fix.

Overall does not look like an upgrade for combat fliers, I hope they keep the FX around for awhile. I wish they would have come out with a .29AX, that might have been interesting....
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

Yeah I saw that last night on towers site. the engine looks good except for the up front needle valve. I wonder if the FX carb will fit on that engine. that would be the best fix and then it will get that needle in the back. I have a 55AX and I broke the needle of on it. its the same setup and I had to get a new carb housing, ouch! the price of 140.00 will be lower, they did that to the 35AX also, it did come down when they released it. I would imaging the 25AX will be 110.00 by the time its done. It will be interesting on this one how it goes. I am just glad they didnt eliminate the 25 size and just go with the 35. that would have put them out of the combat market totaly
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

This message was taken from the Pylon Racing Forum on RC Universe! This is not good news for Open B and 2548 combat.

Yesterday I noticed that the OS 25FX was showing limited quantities on Tower Hobbies. I inquired and was told it was being discontinued.

(snip)
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

yes they are limited stock thats probably the end of them. that carb with the angled needle valve isnt good at all for combat. I am assuming the FX carb with a remote needle will work. the other comcern is, the engins RPM's and stuff dont equal the FX. well theres ebay and I will give GMS another look. until magnum comes out with a .28XLS, Im not going there or until I can improve the engine with some mods.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

I picked up a "barely used" 25 FX for $50 at the club swap meet Thursday night. May have to go hunting for more.
draftman1

Post by draftman1 »

well its official, tower has them as "discontinued status" well whats left, the 25 ax is not combat friendly as a stock motor, GMS? Magnum? is there anything else that is acceptable?
jpmorere

Post by jpmorere »

Nelson? Jett? Cyclon??? [:D]
boiler

Post by boiler »

A gentleman emailed me about a custom made engine that would turn 30-35K for combat. The prop was 7x6 1/8. Any takers??????????
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Who?
boiler

Post by boiler »

Mike, you have mail.
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

The wife has contacted our sales rep at Global who carries the Mag engines.
She told him too upgrade the.25 or .28 XL too the XLS series( like the .15) and they could over take OS in sales.
Well you all know what happens with the OL squeaky wheel.
Since OS enginges thinks it is necessary too raise prices with something that is subpar why not shake some other reps with ideas for more sales...[;)]
Will see what happens.
Air Scharnell

Post by Air Scharnell »

Otherwise you may consider ordering spare parts NOW... too rebuild your old engines.
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Tower Hobbies now lists the OS 25FX as DISCONTINUED. Like Porky Pig said, "That's all Folks"
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boiler</i>
<br />A gentleman emailed me about a custom made engine that would turn 30-35K for combat. The prop was 7x6 1/8. Any takers??????????
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Dub Jett ALREADY makes a .25 and a .30 HIGH OUTPUT engine if you are willing to spend the money for a custom made engine.

http://www.jettengineering.com/