Sticky Stuff

Tell us how you go in for the kill. You'll find the latest combat strategies here.

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

No, Dave, a clean wing would not cut streamers to start with. So, they are not the same. If someone wants to fly a clean wing, more power to `em.

Of course, for some pilots, it really doesn`t matter either way, because first you have to make contact with the streamer. [:0]
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Maybe there should be a limit in the size of the sandpaper grit. IMO 36 grit sandpaper is in effect 36 streamer cutting devices per square inch. Whereas, 150 grit is much more equivalent to a sticky surface.

Also, Gary, "safe" is a relative term. I`d much rather be hit by a wing covered by dry rubber cement, that one with a layer of 36 grit SP. Wouldn`t you?
NeilD

Post by NeilD »

Great points everyone. I agree with you Lee that it is a low blow to the rules. Maybe it doesn't cut like a blade or glass, but let the gate open and who knows what people may try. Bird b gone worked fine for me today, but I did hear a few judges say "Man I hate this stuff after touching my wing." I am still up in the air about tape and goop, but since I have goop I will stick with it.
58combat

Post by 58combat »

I am fairly new to this as this is our second year of competing. From the beginning I did not like the mess associated with the tanglefoot. Being in the sign business I turned to something I have on hand all the time which is double sided banner hem tape. It is 1" wide and if you split it on the LE it seems to work fine. After I cover my wings I put a 2" peice of clear freezer tape or heavier packing tape which is permanant. I put the banner hem tape on top of that and it peels off very easy every time. My son Cole who is much better than me seems to be right in the thick of the competition against guys using tanglefoot.
lightning

Post by lightning »

I personally detest the mess of Bird repellent/Tanglefoot. I seem to get LOADS of it all over my plane, even though I don't use it!
I have been using Adhesive Transfer Tape for the last five years, which is very similar to 2-sided tape as it leaves a thin sticky residue behind when the paper covering is removed. It seems to hold streamers perfectly well. The downside is that it also collects grass clippings which are harder to remove than with Tanglefoot.
If this stuff is not technically within the rules, then the use of sticky stuff should also be banned as it is way more repulsive than the tape.
Much as I would personally like to see Tanglefoot etc banned, I personally do not support the elimination of all aids as I believe it would reduce the number of cuts and also the available secondary targets once a cut has been made.
Perhaps we need a rule change to clarify the use of tape as an alternative to "sticky fluids/sprays" so that we are all within the letter (if not the intent) of the current rules?

On edit:- At the recent Muncie NATS Tom Neff showed me how well PB Blaster (a penetrating oil) dissolves sticky stuff and allows it to be wiped off. Better then the vegetable oil solution I had tried previously.
(Did I say I hate the stuff [?][?][:(!][:(!])
boiler

Post by boiler »

Naptha from the paint department works great and is less expensive by the gallon.
jpmorere

Post by jpmorere »

Several points...

Perhaps we need to submit rules change proposals to change 'sticky FLUIDS' to 'sticky MATERIALS' in all documents containing such or similar references.

As to sandpaper, I am as yet undecided, but tend toward disapproval of its adoption. I do understand and really like the 'clean' aspect of it. The big downside is safety. I can well imagine being hit by a wing with sandpaper on the LE. I have been hit by a plane before (you know who you are) :) so it does not take much imagination to add sandpaper to that event. It would almost certainly leave a nasty rash, and I would say is likely to REMOVE a fair amount of skin. Most of us have had an encounter with sandpaper in the shop and suffered little damage. The difference comes when you back it with a ~ 2 1/2 - 5 pound airplane traveling at ~ 30 - 80 MPH. It is the FORCE of application that causes the problems. Even at only 30 MPH the sandpaper would be applied to your skin with a LOT OF FORCE and then be dragged sideways as the plane pivots and slides around you. Anybody want to be a test subject for this?

You are welcome to provide a compelling argument against this statement. Until then, I vote NO.

J.P.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

I personally feel if its what you want to use go for it. IMO you won't cut streamers as effectively with it as either sticky-stuff or carpet tape, so thats a price you pay to go green....i mean clean.

I also would be thinking of a lot more things then the leading edge of a plane when it was coming at me. I think I would thank my lucky stars for a little rug burn on HGH, when considering the alternatives...
sgilkey

Post by sgilkey »

I'm a little bit more concerned about the prop and engine than about some sandpaper on the LE. Even if the engine's not running, it's pretty hard and has some sharp edges. If someone threw one at me, I would want it to hit me a whole lot less than a roll of sandpaper. If it's running, it's a bit more destructive. Brian had a run-in with an angry one that got away during takeoff last weekend

16 stitches later:
not sure what caused the mark on the other shin, probably the cyl head or muffler

on a much brighter note, the day before, we got to see this awesome high-speed pass about a prop blade's length above the ground:

The pass came after a "heritage flight" of a Lancaster, P51, two Hurricanes and two Spits. The sound was awesome! The Lanc is a gorgeous plane!

Later we were treated to this high-speed, burners-blazing pass by the most wicked looking jet of all time
gave me goosebumps!!!

And there was this pass by the two most beautiful warplanes ever built
boiler

Post by boiler »

Brian needs to switch to steel toed shoes instead of those sandals.
Fred420

Post by Fred420 »

OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:0]
Hat Trick

Post by Hat Trick »

Most of us stick our fingers in props! That's the first foot prop cut I've heard of! Just gotta be first in everything I guess!

Any damage to tendons or joints?
dirko

Post by dirko »

Ouch! [:0] Speedy recovery Brian.
TheKid

Post by TheKid »

Mike, where would the fun be in doing what everyone else does? [;)]

The tendon on top of my second toe was exposed, but not ruptured. No damage to speak of, just a flesh wound. Plus, chicks dig scars right? So it should help me! Interestingly enough, the sandals i was wearing (nice call bob) didn't get a mark on them, with the exception of a little blood. I was surprised to not find them looking like jaws had gotten to them! I guess my foot did a good job of saving the sandals [8D]
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

Hey Kid! where's my Zagi?

Return to “Tactics and Strategies”