Current (Summer `09) E-SSC Power Systems

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

With a 5S you ought to be looking at the 1100 instead of the 1400.

I run the 1400 on 4S on my Me-110 at around 18300 with an 8x3.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

The 1400 works fine on 5s 2200. Bob is running them. If you use 4s your amp draw will be higher and you`ll need larger cells, like about 3000mah.
jj

Post by jj »

It is, or I guess was, the silver SK series. Brand new.

I didn't have the watt meter in line yet. I was just trying to get it initially set up with the radio and was going to tune it after getting a rough setting. It only seemed to be turning around 15k but that was just based on feel and sound.

I've picked up several batteries for a 5S setup so I'd hate to have to get new 4S batteries. Since the motor is shot, should I go to the 1100kv motor?

My concern is that the 1100kv has a lower watt rating so I expect it won't hold up any better and will only need less dialing back on the ESC. But my throttle end point was only at 60% so I doubt that I was that high up in RPMs. The motor was only running about 30 seconds. The prop was balanced etc.

???

I don't think I was drawing a lot of amps but not sure since I didn't have the watt meter set up yet. Sure wish that airplane ESCs had current limiters like old RC car ESCs.

What really has me bummed is I was getting it set for a first flight and am now grounded. :(
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Send me your old motor, and I`ll send ya one to run. I can rewind your old motor.

Lee Liddle
201 E Round Grove Rd #218
Lewisville Tx 75067

Maybe just bad luck. Stuff happens. electric rule #4 if you need one, order two
jj

Post by jj »

Knife,

Way too cool. Consider it sent. I was planning to get a couple more AFTER checking one out to see if it worked as expected.

I put together an EFalcon and all up it was at 41oz ready to roll. I was really pumped about flying it when the smell of the burnt motor dashed my plans to dust.

BTW, if you have the magnet wire and some instructions I might take to winding up some motors. In a past life (that is, 30+ years ago) I was a speaker engineer and spent some time winding custom voice coils for speakers and also wound pickups for an old guitar I built. The idea of hand winding a motor sounds interesting.
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

It`s pretty easy. I`ll post some stuff soon. I taught Bob to do it in about 30min.
jj

Post by jj »

Lee,
Can you post what size magnet wire is used on the 3530s or the 2908s. I'd like to order a spool of the right wire gauge.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

Had a couple of successful flights on Saturday with the Turnigy SK 3536/1400 using a 2650 4S pack. Unfortunately the Corona synthesized receiver died and the plane went in, so I don't have any baseline data on the power draw and consumption. The concept looks promising, as I can easily get to minimum weight.

Will do more testing over Christmas break
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

John, 22 guage works well. I`ve rewound your motor for 5s. I`m sending it back to you. I had to use one of my bells because yours had a lot of damage on the inside. The magnets had been rubbing on the stator and part of the ring that positions the magnets was gone.

It pulls about 19a at 17.5k and 23a at 18.5k. It will pull less at 5k feet.
jj

Post by jj »

Thanks and please send winding info.
I wonder if I just got a bad motor right off the bat as I noticed a funny sound pretty quickly at low rpms.
Do you think the 1100kv motor is a better match for a 5S setup?
Seems like it would need less dialing back but should have no problems in reaching 17,5k. Looking forward to some E-SSC flying.
Ed Kettler

Post by Ed Kettler »

It looks like the demise of the eSSC-39 was a loss of power output to the receiver from the Turnigy Plush 40A ESC. I am going to have Scott look at it to see if he can find something obvious. I may swap it for one on the Me-110 as I use a BEC for power.
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lee Liddle</i>
<br />John, 22 guage works well. I`ve rewound your motor for 5s. I`m sending it back to you. I had to use one of my bells because yours had a lot of damage on the inside. The magnets had been rubbing on the stator and part of the ring that positions the magnets was gone.

It pulls about 19a at 17.5k and 23a at 18.5k. It will pull less at 5k feet.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Lee, what configuration do you use "Star" or "Delta" and how many poles does the stator on these motors have?
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

These motors are 14 pole 12 stator motors.

Here`s the winding diagram that I use. I used 9 turns of 22 gauge wire on the 5s motor for John and did the termination like the diagram shows, which I think is a "y".

I`ll do another wind, as soon as I have time, and I`ll take some pics that will help.

There are some excellent threads on RC Groups in the electric motor section on winding motors. That`s were I went to learn. I spent several nights reading, then tore down a couple of old burned up motors to figure how to do it properly. Once I had a usable clean stator, I bought some magnet wire from RS and did a practice wind with very light gauge wire. The first wind was successful.

So it can be done, but you have to put some effort in to it.
I`m no expert. I know how to do this one wind pattern. It`s fairly easy and works great with these motors that we are using. It takes some work and practice, but if you can wind your own motors, it will save a bunch of money in the long run, and you end up with exactly the motor you need not just what is available over the counter.

Which_way_is_up

Lee, thanks for the info. I don't have any motors to re-wind (yet) [:)] but I've started reading some of the info I've "googled" and it's interesting and relatively easy to do, all the variables are what can make it hard but staying within a set of limits makes it much easier.

I'd be glad to help you take some pictures if you like. Four hands better then two and all that. . . .
Which_way_is_up

I guess the first thing you need to re-wind a motor would be some wire! [:0][:)]

I found 18 thru 28 gauge "magnet wire" at Tanner Electronics in Carrollton. Comes in 1/4lb and 1/2lb spools. I got a 1/4lb spool of 22ga for $7.

Now I need an excuse to make a motor! [:D]