Current (Summer `09) E-SSC Power Systems

Any SSC class topic can be discussed here.

Moderator: hbartel

Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

I`ve got some burned up samples, if you want to try one.
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

Hey Lee, how about some quick links to some of the better web sites or forums you used to learn. I looked on R/C universe but I'm not very good at finding stuff there----rick
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

Here`s one of the threads that I read and learned a lot from. This is a different wind pattern than what I have shown above, but he has lots of good pics and does a good job of explaining the process. I found, though, that I couldn`t grasp everything he was saying until I actualy started winding hands on, then it light started to come on.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736580
boiler

Post by boiler »

Hey Rick, want to come up and fly some combat at noon Jan 1. I got a lot of forestry tape.
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

Lee, thanks, that's a lot of reading but I have 2 Hextronics motors that need rewound. Bob, our club has an annual frozen fingers fly in on New Years Day complete with a pot of chili! We will fly no matter what the weather---------rick
boiler

Post by boiler »

That's similar to our club except we don't have the chili. If I come to your place will you fly combat with me?
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

I don't have time to outfit a plane, although I have one w/ servos still in it.--------other than I'm always up for combat---I constantly harp on 3-4 guys to fly combat with me, they just aren't up for the constant repairing-------rick
boiler

Post by boiler »

Sounds like it's 30 minutes till ready. What class?
Which_way_is_up

Post by Which_way_is_up »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Vapor</i>
<br />Hey Lee, how about some quick links to some of the better web sites or forums you used to learn. I looked on R/C universe but I'm not very good at finding stuff there----rick
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Rick, here's another summary page to read to your heart's content

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993
Vapor

Post by Vapor »

thanks Roy
Lee Liddle

Post by Lee Liddle »

John, did you get your motor?
jj

Post by jj »

Yes. It was a nice Christmas present. thanks.
Haven't had a chance to run it let but it looks like a great wind on the motor.
In the mean time I had ordered another 3530-14 and set it up on an EFalcon. It turned up 17-5 at 17.5 amps and 310 watts on a 5S. The plane weighs in at 41oz and flies great. I've got a second just about ready and will be putting the original motor on that one.
Thekid3418

Re: Current (Summer `09) E-SSC Power Systems

Post by Thekid3418 »

I have just started building my E-Falcon that I won as a door prize at NATs. To say I am very excited to try the dark side of things is an understatement! I have been doing some priliminary testing while I build the airframe out of what I have on hand. I plan on ordering a dedicated setup in the near future (hopefully tonight so I have it in 3 weeks for our event!), but for now this will have to do. I am using

Turnigy E-Drive 2815/09 (old motor, from 2 years ago. Not sold anymore at HC)
Turnigy Plush 60 (very over kill!)
Turnigy nano-Tech 2200 45/90C 6s and Turnigy 3000mah 40/50C 5s (both used just for testing, more approriate batteries will be flown with).

On 5s I get right around 16.1 amps and 17.3k RPM at WOT, which is pretty acceptable power for me. We usually fly around 17k rpm in contests, just to be safe. On 6s it was right around 14.5 amps and 17.490 RPM, this was done at ~55% throttle. What is interesting to me is that this small change in RPM (less then 200) resulted in a power difference of almost 40W, with the 6s setup drawing more power, likely due to the inefficiencies of running an ESC at partial throttle.

The graph is below. The first run is 6s, and you can see how much higher the power level is as well as how incosistent the reading is. On 5s it locked into its RPM and power numbers and stayed there for the duration of the run.

The motor appears to be a little on the small side. But after extended runs of over 2 minutes it was no more then warm.

I have more questions to be asked, but I must leave the computer now. I hope you all enjoy the information.

Kid
Attachments
E-SSC Run.JPG
E-SSC Run.JPG (169.71 KiB) Viewed 13390 times
Last edited by Thekid3418 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thekid3418

Post by Thekid3418 »

Ok, so now for my questions...or really just my *question*.

I'm hoping to find an ESC that will do a governor, similar to a heli head-speed governor. I would like to be able to set the RPM to 17.5k and have it stay there, not matter how hot the packs get or how late in the flight it is. This, I think, is the true benefits to electrics.

Now, from what I have found through a couple days of short research (more to be done!) there is a very limited selection of what I am looking for. And by limited, what I mean to say is only castle creations :roll: This, to me, is too expensive of gear to use in a combat plane (a CC Ice 50 goes for ~70 dollars) because of the risk of crashing. So I am hoping to find an option for an ESC that will do the limiting for slightly less cost. Does anyone know of a reliable solution to this? Or is everyone just going with the ATV/Throttle stick method?

Thanks in advance
Kid
dditch

Post by dditch »

I think Hobby City has a somewhat new line that might work.
Kforce 40A can handle 6S and does GoV mode.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=8922

Don't know if it will do the RPM you want though. I've never done gov mode outside a Castle.

Myself, I tried the cheap Simple Series 50A ESC that's like $15 and am going to use that for now on. Burn it up or break it in a crash and throw it away.
I'm wiring everything up so I can pull parts out and swap when needed, so my External BEC is on a JST connector or wired into the series connector and not soldered into the ESC.

Back in June, someone borrowed my eFalcon and crashed it, the wing moved forward and broke the ESC. Servo wires broke off and broke the solder pads making it non-repairable. Thus, I don't like the idea of spending too much on the ESC and/or Motor if it can be helped. I will do something to add a barrier so the wing can't do this anymore though.

Definitly, the closer to 90%+ throttle you get, the more efficient the setup is and the longer you can run on the FLATTER part of the battery discharge curve. I've been able to pre-run, my batteries a minute or so and end the round at around 16,900-17000 RPM. I have not logged my flight yet (hope to soon as August I'll be getting all my SSC gear back in order), but don't forget a motor will unload (some) in the air so limiting to 17500 governed MAY not be all it's cracked up to be. So will a Nitro, but who's quantified that before?